::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2002, 10:05 PM   #1
Grey16

95'civic w/ B16a turbo?

Does anyone know what kind of turbo that I can get for a B16a in a 95'civic? Greddy said they didn't have one for cars with motor swaps I wanted to go with Greddy just because I've always heard good thing about them. But if anyone knows of any other brands that are reliable products. thanks
Old 05-23-2002, 11:01 PM   #2
MrCLoWnY

I think the Greddy Turbo will fit in your car with a lil mod or no mod at all. Just buy the kit for your motor and see if it will fit. Im pretty sure that it will. Laters
Old 05-24-2002, 10:39 AM   #3
rsarakaki

Sup,

Hmm my buddy has a engine swapped CRX with a B18C motor and a Garret Turbo. If engine swapping was an issue, perhaps you can contact Garret. (spell?)
Old 05-24-2002, 03:01 PM   #4
Grey16

Thanks for your help if anyone else has any ideas or knows what will fit just post I'm on everyday. Later
Old 05-24-2002, 06:34 PM   #5
thermal
Banning Machine

my advice is to get a custom turbo utilizing a t3/t4 set-up. honestly, it depends on how much power u want to achieve. u have to ask yourself also if street legality is an issue. theoretically, some state law prevents engine swap with a higher horsepower and older engine.......BUT dont let this scare you, cuz i would do a swap in a heatbeat if i can afford it........anyway, the GReddy kit should fit with maybe a slight modification on the exhaust side. primarily from the downpipe and out. if it was up to me, i would put together a t3/t4 turbo set-up at a minimum. custom route is the way to go in my opinion. it can be cheaper. the workmanship quality can also be controlled..........my 2 cents.....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 10:43 PM   #6
Grey16

Wouldn't the Greddy kit for the 99 civic SI fit since it is for a B16a just in a little bit different body style? With getting one built it would cost me right around $3200 for everything and engine mangement which isn't to bad of a deal. But I would like to stay as street leagal as possible I'm in Cali right know so it sucks and I'm on a Airforce base so I have to deal with both CHP and cops on base. But if I do go with a custom built I will just have to reregister the car in another state.
Old 05-24-2002, 11:16 PM   #7
Grey16

What about the Fmax has anyone heard anything good on this one I saw it on MMRUSA.com they want like 3700.
Old 05-26-2002, 05:46 PM   #8
Grey16

Ok I found a Turbo place they will build me a turbo set up and dyno and tune it. They said it would boosted between 7-10psi for the best hp gains. They would also hand fabricate headers, all of the piping to be able to keep a/c, the waste gate was....I can't remeber, but the turbo is a turbonetics t3/t4, HKS bov, Sparco intercooler and what ever else is needed. But they wanted 3200-3700 and they would have my car for a 2 weeks. does that sound like a good deal.
Old 05-27-2002, 03:13 PM   #9
thermal
Banning Machine

that is not bad, if that includes the installation. are they also considering of getting a set of new injectors for your car? remember that there is a big possibility that your car will not be street legal anymore, especially if the wastegate dump pipe is open to the atmosphere.

BTW, F-MAX turbos are just like GReddy's. it utilizes the same size of turbo.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 05-27-2002, 06:38 PM   #10
Grey16

I didn't know that about the Fmax and Greddy. The wastegate wouldn't be open into the atmosphere. Is that what makes some turbos street leagal and others not or is there more to it then that. It would include new injectors also.
Old 05-28-2002, 03:32 PM   #11
thermal
Banning Machine

yep, more to it than that. your emission test result is a biggie. what the inspectors do is plug a sensor into your muffler and run your car for a little bit. during the visual inspection, once they see your dump pipe open to the atmosphere, your done......make sure that your dump pipe is re-routed back to the inlet side of your cat.

another thing that may fail your test is the A/F ratio plus boost that your car is producing. my advice is to ensure that the dump pipe is routed back to the exhaust and then, since you'll be having an external wastegate, turn the boost all the way to zero during inspection.........

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 05-28-2002, 09:36 PM   #12
Grey16

What about CARB numbers on the products it has to be on the turbo and the wastegate the piping shouldn't mater right? I would probably turn the boost down for inspections so that would be fine. I hope to find out a exact price this week and how long my car will be down for. So I'll let you know and then I will probably have to wait until like christmas so i can save up money. I would like to get somethings for my motor before then also but I'll let you know what the final price is soon thanks for all of your help anyother sugestions let me know. Later
Old 05-30-2002, 12:08 AM   #13
thermal
Banning Machine

hey no problem man, that's what we do here....help and helped.....

correction on the turning the boost down during the inspection. it really shouldnt matter even if you're cranking 25 psi boost or not during the inspection. the reason being is that, boost only works when the engine is loaded. so no matter how hard they REV your car up, it will not register boost until the engine is loaded, meaning, the car should be engaged in a gear other than neutral.....it's kind of hard to explain, but that is how it works.

BTW, are you in the air force?

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 05-30-2002, 06:19 PM   #14
Grey16

Yes I am I'm stationed at Edwards AFB in Ca. Its about a hour north of LA and in the middle of the desert. So its hot as hell in the summer like 100-120+ sometimes which makes far a hell of a long day at work. But other then that its pretty cool. I kind of understand what you are talking about with the being in gear stuff. It makes enough sence.
Old 06-01-2002, 11:27 PM   #15
thermal
Banning Machine

cool.......i'm a navy guy stationed in Norfolk VA.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 06-02-2002, 01:40 AM   #16
Kyle
elyK

how do youlike the navy man?...i either wanna join up with them or the army(for mechanics crap)
if i go into the navy...i'm gonna TRY to be a nuclear engineer(good money)
and i f i go into the army...i'm probably gonna learn mechanics and all about cars and shit...and then when i'm done with that...i'll probably go to some other colege to further my studies...maybe some advice for me?....or somethin...
oh, yeah...i'm 15 right now..gonna be 16 in 2 weeks....and i'm gonna graduate while i'm 16 tootee hee
I'm not sure what i'm gonna do during that time before i turn 18...

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 10:43 PM   #17
Grey16

Thats cool how do you like the Navy? You probably get to see alot more of the world then I do. We don't get to go anywere here at Edwards ABF.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:15 PM   #18
thermal
Banning Machine

well, eventhough this is a turbo forum and not a whole lot of traffic, we'll go ahead discuss this military thing.

I've been in the NAVY 10 yrs now. I'm an E-6 (First Class Petty Officer). I'm not as old as you guys may think. My thoughts about the Navy..........it's a job. there are many hardships. We put up with a lot of stuff like deploying for 6 months on an 18 month ratation. being away from family for a straight 6 months sucks but that's some of the stuff i have to live up to with staying in the in. it's hard to get used to it. YES, i get to see the world but GREY and I both know that military life is a 24-7 type of work. when my ship is out to sea, it's a 24 hour work and get a 6 hour sleep in between. it builds character.........

My actual job in the NAVY is a GSM which stands for Gas Turbine Systems mechanic. i work on jet engines used as propulsions for the ship. my line of work can make some money in the civilian world. as a matter of fact, my job ranked number 5 in the navy as the most demanding civilian related job which is capable of making 6 digits a year......dont ask why i'm still in........ i love what i do.

Mobbo, the navy is NOT a bad place to be. it will require a lot of patience and you must adapt to all different kinds of people....like any other services. once you start adapting, you'll life will be much easier. i've had many friends in the navy who have never seen an Asian dude or black dude before in their lives......weird as $h!t but we all get along.

my opinion on other services, the navy deployment rotation is a pain not to mention the living quarters provided at sea-very tight spaces.

as a NUCLEAR sailor, you'll very susceptible into joining the SUB-marine world which is a different lifestyle in the NAVY. you'll make money in or out of the NAVY. navy will offer you re-enlistment bonus that is very reasonable which is between $30,000-45,000 every 4 years besides your paycheck.

The Air Force is my favorite branch. their living quarters are like apartments vice coffin type beds that the navy has on the ship. their bases are way cleaner also. and the best part of all......the AIR FORCE has some beautiful women........trust me.

The ARMY and the MARINES are too physical for me. Lots of Physical training and a$$ chewing if u mess up. Descipline is taught to them on a daily basis. i'm not into guns, if u are, then join one of these branches.....

my 2 cents........i hope nobody gets mad with this post........i'll move it to OT if somebody does.....peace!

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 06-03-2002, 10:38 PM   #19
Grey16

I'm going to agree with you the Marines and Army is way to much work for me. (phisical side) I love the Airforce. Its an awsome job and thats what it is a job 24-7 you always have to be ready to go if they need you. But other then that it is a job as thermalfi'd said.

But I've just began my career here in the USAF I've been in for almost 2years and have another 2 years left. After that I will be heading to the Guard in Portland OR. right now my job is a Crew Chief on F-16 fighters. And all that is, is to maitain the aircraft that my work gives me I make sure everything is good to go for the day it flies. It can get kind of stressful sometimes but it is still the best job I've had ever. There is also a very big demand jet mechanics everywere pretty much anything that has to do with planes,engines anything mechanical you can come out of the service and make money.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:43 PM   #20
Wren57

Quick side comment- if you are living somewhere with temps 100+ degress and are running a turbo, you may want to look at vented hoods and such to help the intercooler keep the temps down... just my thoughts
Old 06-03-2002, 10:59 PM   #21
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Originally posted by highlander
Quick side comment- if you are living somewhere with temps 100+ degress and are running a turbo, you may want to look at vented hoods and such to help the intercooler keep the temps down... just my thoughts
wow! i'm very interested to see a turbo highlander. are you doing a custom turbo set-up? got any pics?

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 06-04-2002, 03:16 AM   #22
Kyle
elyK

he doesn't have a turbo yet...he's waiting for the manifold so he can get boosted
ok...so for the navy...my friends uncle(Navy recruiter) told me that Nuclear engineers have an e5 pay rate when they come out of training...and he's an e6 or something like that right now...
and he said that i'll be getting pretty good money if i do try to pursue that...but the only problem is this...i'm gonna graduate at the age of 16 with the minimum graduation requirements...i'm still gonna get my diploma and all...but it's gonna be for the minimum amount of work...My friends uncle said that i need to take physics and calculus to be able to be a nuclear engineer for the navy...thats the only problem i face right now...well, thats the only MAJOR problem that i face right now...I'm just not too sure what to do about that...
OK...i have some questions too...what would be a good grade on that test thingy to be able to get a highenough paying job to support maybe my wife and kid(s) when i grow up...I'm not sure if i'm gonna get married and have kids...but i hope i do...
And if i do join up in the Navy...i plan to stay in it atleast 20 years...kinda wanna follow in my dads footsteps...(Army for 26 years...)
I'm sure i've got a lot of other questions that you may or may not be able to answer..but they haven't come to mind yet

Edit: just wanted to say thanks for readin this and helping me out if ya do...any suggstions are appreciated

EXPLORE THE TRUTH

Last edited by Kyle : 06-04-2002 at 03:22 AM.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 07:12 PM   #23
Grey16

I would probably do a vented hood. It gets very hot out here today it hit like 105 at work which is just the begining of summer.
WARNING STAY OUT OF THE MOHAVE DESERT DURING THE SUMMER!!!! There are alot of guys that are running turbos all year and seem to do just fine i just don't want to have any problems. But who hasn't seen problems the second they bolt force induction on any car?
Old 06-05-2002, 10:04 AM   #24
juvenile

Dang, I love this thread. Learned so much from so little.
That's why I love HS, it's knowledgable, not only bullshit.
Old 06-05-2002, 06:23 PM   #25
Grey16

Knowlegable shit can be great.