::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2003, 08:53 PM   #1
civicgrl99

Audio help for 99 civic!!

Okay, so I have a '99 civic ex, and I havent put in a system yet (I dunno whyyy, haha!), but now I'm gonna...so this is what I'm thinking. I'm on a budget, so...

Pioneer 3500 headunit
Infinity Reference speakers (6x9's and 6.5's)
and prolly a 4 channel amp, but I dunno what kind, my bro's lookin into that...

I'm not bothering w/a sub right now cuz I'm not too worried about the bass, I might consider it later. for now i juss wanna improve the sound quality from the stock speakers.
Old 03-15-2003, 12:45 AM   #2
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

You're gonna toast those speakers unless you cross them over, which pretty much means zero bass. If you're gonna do it in stages, do subs first.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 11:48 AM   #3
civicgrl99

I didn't really wanna put in a sub though...so what do you suggest?
Old 03-15-2003, 04:25 PM   #4
blind34_1

A little sub will be a nice addition. When you think of subs you're prolly thinking of big pimpin, quarter panel shaking thumpin. It doesnt have to be that way.

Subs are used to properly reproduce low frequency signals. At what volume/intensity depends on you. A bass tube is nice if space is on a budget, and a 200watt amp is a good start. Getting a good 4channel amp is also a good idea for your other speakers, but its also helpful to have a mono amp for subs. I picked up a small 300watt amp for 70 bucks at my pawn shop. Its not a good idea to try and push bass through 6.5s not intended for it. 6x9's do okay bass, but I would seriously recommend a modest sub setup.

and might I also suggest an alarm before you do this. Or you can learn that the hard way like I did.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 07:00 PM   #5
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

If you're gonna amp your stage, you MUST cross them over to prevent them from self-destructing. This means turning off the off the low end they recieve.

Once again, if you don't want to toast those speakers, you're going to have to cut the bass. If you still want low end, you're gonna need need a sub.

The only other alternative would be to turn the gain pretty far down, and build an enclosure for the rear 6.5s. I've done it before in a couple of cars, and it actually worked extremely well.

Whatever you do, DO NOT turn up the volume and the low end on those 6.5s. You'll end up with a lot of speaker parts.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote