::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2002, 10:07 PM   #1
zm_dawg

Short Shifting?

I was wondering if anyone had some insight on swapping in a short shifter I almost purchased a DC short throw, but stopped myself for a bit. ANyone got any true "testimonials" for me. Also is DC a good one to go with? Dis- and Ad- vantages of the short throw period?
Old 10-15-2002, 11:27 PM   #2
fadednite

I got a neuspeed one. I really dont think it makes a diff. Yeah it shortens it pretty good, sometimes i don't know what gear I'm in. I takes getting used to.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:11 AM   #3
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

well I like my short shifter that I put in. I just got a generic one and put the Neuspeed bushings in w/ it. I would say the real area that you would notice it being an advantage would be when you race as it's less throw to each gear and I know it helped my 1/4 time a bit...
Old 10-16-2002, 12:04 PM   #4
4jacks

I would wait until you have more mods done to your engine, before you spent $$ on a short throw. Air intake, exhaust, headers, race cat, pulleys..... they would all be a better investment... IMO

then again i still never know what gear i'm in and i grind every other gear still...

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 12:56 PM   #5
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

I got a B&M for $50 and its great. I also got some new bushings. It does take some getting used to but now I wouldnt trade it for anything else...well except something thats worth more of course
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 03:35 PM   #6
slowEJ6

bought my APC short shifter for $40, went to Honda and got the neuspeed bushings for $10 (friends are dope!) and im more than happy with mine.
took a little while of driving to get used to it, 2nd kicked my ass a few times when racing - but got used to it and it dropped my times a bit. for its price, more than anything else would have for $50-$100.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 11:22 PM   #7
zm_dawg

is the pattern or whatever you wanna call it much more difficult. I've heard some sayin you can throw it from 2nd to 1st on accident and screw a lot up...i'm pretty new to manual myself...gettin alright at it....does it pay to jump to the short throw and risking anything?
Old 10-16-2002, 11:24 PM   #8
slowEJ6

never heard of that problem.....even w/o the bushings i didnt have a problem shifting gears. id wait until you have shifting down GOOD before you go and swap in a short shifter.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 11:49 PM   #9
4jacks

My civic has a funny thing where I can't throw it into first unless I am going under 10 mph... You should check to see if you have that... just get going about 30 mph and try to stick it in first....

it also won't let me put it in reverse from fifth.

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 07:48 PM   #10
hondaciv97

I have a tenzo short throw shifter and I love it. I took a little to get use to but I love it and would never but my old stock one back. I is a little harder to throw in to gear so you have to use more force. You can also speed shift a lot better where you keep the throttle floored and change gears.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:25 PM   #11
drdingo21

where do you put the bushings? don't they go in the hole at the bottom where the bolt goes trough to attach the arm to teh tranny?
drdingo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 02:07 AM   #12
AzCivic

I have the dcsports one and it works great. Its not hard to get used to, it took me like 20mins worth of driving to get used to it. Its a very good mod for the money.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 10:08 AM   #13
bent_remy

I put in a B&m (ebay $50) and it's the best. If you've ever raced someone on street you notice the difference. Reduces shift throws by more than half. One of the cheapest, most effective mods that you can do.
bent_remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 02:15 PM   #14
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

yeah I have that 1st gear protection too. Theres no way to put it into 1st unless Im going less than 10 (like 4Jacks). I basically learned how to drive stick on my short shifter as I bought it a month or two after I got the civic. Before that I only drove auto tranny. Either way its getting used to something whether its a manny tranny with stock shifter or manny tranny with short shifter. I say get one if you want, it wont make a difference with leanring
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 12:25 PM   #15
seanjuan

there shouldn't be any reason that a short throw shifter would be more difficult to use than a stock shifter. if you replace the bushings at the same time it should actually be easier to shift with it because it will be alot more crisp instead of slopping around like stock. I put a solo short throw in my 92 and it's great, no other mods but i love the feel of it when driving compared to the old stock shifter.

i'd say if you think you want one then just get one, regardless of if you race your car or if you are just learning to drive a 5spd. it's just fun to have an excuse to get under your car and get dirty doing the work, which is much easier if you pull the exhaust down but doable with the exhaust in place

later
good luck
Sean
Old 10-22-2002, 01:01 PM   #16
a96710

I also have the DC Sport short shifter...I picked it up on Ebay for $48. It took a lil time to get use to but I like it a lot now. Much better than the stock shifter
a96710 is offline   Reply With Quote