::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2002, 12:20 PM   #1
spoogenet

Exclamation What tools required to install AEM CAI? 6th gen

Ok, so I'm planning on putting my CAI on this weekend. I know that the actually installation of the CAI isn't that difficult or involved and will probably require maybe a socket or two, a couple of hands, and maybe a screwdriver.

I guess the real question is what's needed to take out the stock intake system, resonator, etc? I've got some metric sockets, plenty screwdrivers, a hammer or two, some pliers, and some wire cutters. I'm sure all I'll need out of that are the sockets and screwdrivers. But do I need any extensions to use with the sockets to get at anything or so?

And is it safe to assume everything will be metric?

b
Old 07-11-2002, 02:00 PM   #2
blownteggy

you have all the tools needed. the instructions should say what tools you need. all i needed was a socket wrench and a flat tip screwdriver.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:43 AM   #3
spoogenet

Ok, another quick question....I finally read the instructions and looked under the hood a little. Due to bad weather I didn't get to the install this past weekend, so I'm shooting for next.

Anyhow, I've got the two 2.5" or 3" hose clamps....so one of them is for the filter, and the other for the soft mount that connects to the throttle body? But then just what holds the soft mount to the throttle body, or do I use a clam that's on the factory intake for that?

b
Old 07-15-2002, 08:19 PM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

you should have gotten 3 clams. two come in the bag with all the hardware, and the third is in the bag or on the filter already

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 09:15 AM   #5
spoogenet

Methinks there are only 2. The instruction sheet says the kit comes with two, and I only had two in the hardware bag. I didn't see one on the filter when I looked at it.

That's why I wonder if I'm supposed to use whatever clamp holds the OEM tube to the throttle body?

b
Old 07-16-2002, 07:56 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

that's weird. i got two in the hardware bag ond one was on the filter already. go to the autoparts store and get the third one for dirt cheap. in cleveland the run for about 50 cents one, or you can do it the ghettoway with tiewraps :o (just like my right axle)

Old 07-17-2002, 09:06 AM   #7
spoogenet

That's just too funny. I guess you didn't get the Catn. Rice name for nothin!

Well, I can probably retract my question. Silly me looked at the instructions again last night and they have a picture showing one of their included clamps being used to connect the rubber tube to the throttle body and what looks like a factory clamp connecting the rubber tube to the intake tube, I believe it's the clamp that is currently holding the OEM intake to the throttle body.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I'll be the proud new driver of a car with a CAI.

b
Old 07-17-2002, 11:02 PM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

umm i used nothing that was oem in the install. and what is Catn ?

Old 07-18-2002, 08:25 AM   #9
spoogenet

Catn == typo, supposed to read Captn.....but I guess you only put Cpt.

b
Old 07-20-2002, 06:40 PM   #10
llavalle

I got 2 with mine...

One for the filter...
One for the intake.. on the AEM side...

and used stock one for Throtle body side
Old 07-21-2002, 03:55 PM   #11
spoogenet

Well, got it installed. Used the factory one on throttle body side as well.

Wasn't too bad an install, although if we had done a couple things in the beginning it would have saved us some time. We probably spent about a good 45 minutes of actually working on it, the rest of the time was spent chugging water and doing the dew while talking up a storm. Not to mention a couple hours worth of wash and wax.

Lessons I learned:

1. Don't turn steering wheel to "make more room"....it will only make less room for removing the resonator. Leave wheels straight.
2. Jack up front right side of car, it will make removing the resonator a fairly simple process.
3. No need to completely remove the splash guard, only need to remove the right side pieces and bend it down. Not that it takes too long to remove all the plugs, but it can save a few minutes.
4. Texas is just too damn hot in the summer.

b
Old 07-21-2002, 04:16 PM   #12
spoogenet

Forgot to mention, it's too loud. I don't like it.

I mean, I knew it was gonna be louder, my bro had a CAI on his '95 LX with headers and an exhaust and my best friend had a DC sports short ram on his '95 EX with headers.....the EX with short ram was louder than the CAI....I think my bro's CAI was an Iceman, although I'm not sure. Anyhow, maybe it's just cuz I haven't ridden in a car with an intake for some time now and just don't remember just how loud it was.....I dunno, but it's too loud.

Guess I'll just have to save gas and lay off the pedal a little to keep the noise down. Ok, so I don't really dislike it, it just really surprised me when I got on it. I don't notice it being any faster, or slower, just louder. I certainly hope to see some results in my fuel economy, though, to help offset the cost.

b
Old 07-21-2002, 05:20 PM   #13
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well if you don't like the noise get the BPV. it will take a lot of noise away.

Old 07-22-2002, 09:17 AM   #14
spoogenet

Yeah, and the power.....

Why does it take the noise away? Just by disrupting the shape of the tube causing it to have a different resonance, maybe?

The filter doesn't sit as low as I thought it might, so I doubt I will need the bypass valve.....so I'll just keep off the gas.

b