Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2002, 11:49 PM   #1
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Hydro or cable tranny

Are civics Hydro or cable tranny? Were they ever both?
Basically I want to swap the d series I have (eventually) and want to put in a b16 and turbo it. Basically is are the engine trannys the same or do I have to put on some kind of adapter. And if I do how much do they cost?
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 11:55 PM   #2
B16_civic_hatch

everything before 92 are cable tranny's. you can change them over but why?? hydraulic came into the civics with the 5th gens. 92 and up. you can change these into cable and you might save a few bucks but just go with the hydro, its prolly not worth the trouble
Old 10-17-2002, 11:59 PM   #3
pdiggitydogg

right, I think I was limiting myself to the b16a1 pre 92 which would mean the cable tranny. b16a2 would have the hydro then, correct?
Old 10-18-2002, 12:04 AM   #4
B16_civic_hatch

that is true. B16a2 has the hydro. B16a2 is also USDM (put in the civic si 99-2000) B16a second gen is the JDM motor in the 5th gen civics (92-95)
Old 10-18-2002, 12:22 AM   #5
pdiggitydogg

but doesnt the 96-97 Del Sol DOHC Vtec have a B16a2?
Old 10-18-2002, 07:07 AM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

what's the difference ? i really have no clue on that issue. are we talking about the shift linkage ? are we talking about the clutch ? please lighten me up

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 12:13 PM   #7
pdiggitydogg

to be honest I dont know either. I was at one of those www.jdm___.com places, looking at engines and the older b16a says it has a 5 speed cable tranny.

What it means I dont know but it sounded important
Old 10-18-2002, 07:29 PM   #8
nonovurbizniz

a cable tranny is one which the throwout bearing is well... thrown out via a cable going from your clutch pedal to the tranny (it engages the clutch). It opperates identically to your gas pedal cable.
A "Hydro tranny" is one in which the clutch is engaged via hydrolic pressure created by a master cylinder No not your brake master cylinder it's another one. that's the easiest way to tell. If you have 2 brake fluid looking containers your tranny is Hydro.

another way to check is if you are looking at your engine from the front. the tranny is to the left. if there is a metal arm with a throttle cable coming off of it you have a cable tranny. if there is an odd looking protrusion with a bleeder valve on it then you have a hydro tranny.

FINALLY

everyone here says why go with cable hydro is where it's at blah blah blah.

B.S. Cable is way better it's faster you have much better pedal feel. you don't have to worry about:
1. a master cylinder (they go bad they leak the run out of fluid etc.)
2. Pressurized line ( it rots it leaks it can go bump and snap.)
3. the weight while negligable and I hate it when kids on here talk about stripping this and that for weight... It's still there 10-30lbs (total guess it's gotta be at least 10lbs though)

So if it save money (ie you already have a cable tranny.) then do it. HOWEVER if you already have hydro DON'T switch to cable it's not worth it. the simpler you can make any project the better.
And remember that 100 bucks dif. between a1 and a2/3 is taken right back up by a hydro to cable conversion on the a1 if you have to do it.
But if you have a cable tranny I WOULD NEVER EVEN CONSIDER swaping in a hydro unit. It's way too much of a pain in the ass so unless it means you get LSD or the engine you want doesn't have a cable tranny stay with what you got.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:36 PM   #9
seanjuan

this is a topic of interest to me as well
I have a 92 which means i have a hydro tranny
if i were to get a b16 that was pre 92 (cable tranny), you are saying it could be converted but would cost more so i might as well try to find a b16a2/3 that allready has a hydro setup

also, if this swap were carried out would the shift linkage on my car hook up directly to the b16 then? or would i need to find a new shift linkage as well?

thanks alot
Sean