.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > My Car is Broken!
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2002, 08:05 PM   #1
spoogenet

6th gen Accord ('01) manual tranny

Ok, this should reall be in the "Is my car broken" forum.....here goes.

I will begin by stating that this issue is most apparent when the car is cold, the engine may be at normal operating temperature, but the car hasn't really been driven much, thus everything else isn't warmed up yet. Like...within the first few miles of starting it.

I've done a little bit of testing to isolate the issue, and here's what I've done/come up with.

Case 1: Car is parked, engine is off. Shifting through gears feels normal.

Case 2: Car is parked, engine running. Shifting through gears feels normal.

Case 3: Car is moving, engine running. Shifting through gears feels as though the clutch isn't fully engaged (assuming engaged means pedal is on the floor, correct my terminology if necessary). I feel it mostly in 1->2 and 2->3. When leaving the gear that it is currently in, it feels as though the gear grinds ever so slightly, but I don't really notice it when entering the new gear. I'm not sure if I really hear it or not since my hearing is linked to my feeling and preconceived notions, if ya know what I mean. If I let the car continue rolling and I shift it into gear very slowly, slowly meaning take about 10 seconds to get all the way from neutral into gear, the gear will grind, regardless of the gear I enter. This does not happen in Case 2. When the engine is fully warm and so is everything else, like after driving around for some time during the day, this isn't nearly as apparent, but I still feel as though I feel it....could be that paranoia again.

When I first got the car I didn't notice this, I've only put a little more than 1k on it since I got it, meaning the car has about 9k on it. I'm still in the paranoid phase that I bought a lemon......in case you hadn't noticed yet.

Now, I also tested this in my '88 Volvo that I usually drive to work. I noticed that while rolling with the engine running, if I shifted really slowly while entering the next gear, it would grind. However I don't in any way feel any grinding of any sort under normal shifting conditions.

So.....here are the questions:
1. Does any of this sound like it's just how a manual works? If so, please explain.
2. Does it sound like my car's broke? If so, please explain.
3. Did you read the whole post? If so, please eplain.

Sorry it's so long....

b