Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2005, 05:05 PM   #1
CRX-Sweetness
Parked

Need Help With CRX

First question, is there anyway that I can run the numbers on the engine in my ’90 CRX Si to see if the engine I have is the one that was original when it was made?

Second question, has the EFI system ever been know to need replacing? This is what’s goin on. When I bought it the car it didn’t pass DEQ and the Check engine light had come on which, I was aware of. I figured it to be an O2 sensor that was out. I took it to an Import shop and they did some diagnostics and confirmed that the O2 sensor was bad. I changed it and took it to DEQ again and my NOx tripled and my THC’s went up as well, but the CO and CO2 maintained well below acceptable levels. When it is cold, it runs just as shitty or shittier than it did before but when it is warm it seems to run ok. I still have a fair amount of power but the exhaust smells bad and when I put some gas into it, smoke is visible. So does that suggest an EFI System problem? It is pretty clear that this engine, if it is the original, was at least taken out, due do plenty of evidence (which is the reason for my first Q). Could it be a vacuum hose hooked up wrong, which if there was one in the wrong place, I could only assume it wouldn’t run right.

Final question, if this engine problem proves to be something not worth fixing, how would I be able to obtain a low mileage JDM engine of the same kind that is in my CRX (the D16A if I’m not mistaken)? or, if I will in fact pull the engine, is there an engine with a little more power that can bolt right into the car with no or almost no alterations? if there is i might as well. but I’m going to college so I don’t have time to put into a high performance engine that requires a lot of altering to fit or I would. I need something reliable that runs good. Any help on these would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.
CRX-Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:07 PM   #2
Mischief

h22.. pick up your latest SCC mag and it says everything you to do the swap in it. page 96.

http://mensalmanac.com
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 10:28 AM   #3
silver

http://hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000...age&item=30002

or you can find a d16 for a couple hundred bucks. just put a new motor in and forget about spending money or trying to rebuild the current one. forget about looking to see if it is the original or not. its a 15 year old motor, it doesn't make a difference.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 01:37 PM   #4
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

^exactly what i was thinking. h22's and b18's are too big for crxs for an easy and reliable swap

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 06:03 PM   #5
CRX-Sweetness
Parked

Thanks for the help. thats what I was thinkin Id be doin, just puttin in another d16a. The only problem im having with that is, Im finding plenty of b16's, b18's, k20's, h22's, zc's, etc, etc and not very many d16a's and the ones I do find are only the longblock and not a full swap which is what im lookin for. But ill take a look at the link you posted and see what i can find. Thanx again.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:03 PM   #6
AkimboStylee

get the zc, real nice engines. oh, and a b18c will fit perfectly!! h22, will not fit
Old 07-31-2005, 03:36 PM   #7
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

h22 is a lot of work to put into any civic, but hasport does have mounts for it and the newest sport compact car has a how-to
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 05:07 PM   #8
AkimboStylee

but not in 88-91 civic/crx, you have to cut and weld alot just to even thinking about putting the mounts in.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:20 PM   #9
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Yes 88-91, not -87
Never said it was simple, but it can be done easier now, than before
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 07:06 PM   #10
AkimboStylee

i still think it is pointless either way, b18 is the largest engine i will and have ever put into my car, thats what i am riding around in as of 4 hrs ago, stock c1, NA, just until my friend gets his 92 hatch (sold it to him for 2500 with the engine thats in my car, using all for a down payment on a new sentra(me and my mom are going to share it))
Old 08-03-2005, 03:27 PM   #11
CRX-Sweetness
Parked

Ok, I found that the engine in my CRX is acctually a DOHC ZC that was put in it. So can anyone point me in the right direction to getting a service manual of some kind for a ZC if there is such a thing? The cam timing is at 35 degrees BTDC! which is why it is running so shity. So i need to replace the timing belt and adjust the timing on the cam. I know the cam has marks but i dont want to screw anything up because i assumed something.

Last edited by CRX-Sweetness : 08-03-2005 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:31 PM   #12
nonovurbizniz

as far as I know that's a JDM only engine... so I'm sure it's out there but it'll be hard to find...

check honda-tech.com they might have it posted there or where to get it.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:11 AM   #13
CL2CX
Parked

Had a zc a long time ago... They are very tricky to work on! They a basicly the same as 90-93 integra non-vtec dohc. A lot of the stuff is the same.
I do remember distributor issues I had to change it to the US integra. (I think the distributor was set up to fire in a different order)
My advise to you is to take it to some that is good w/ hondas that can manualy reset your timing as close as possible.
Another thing you should use premium fuel as the motor was from japan where the octane is 105, 87 or regular just isnt the same...
Hope this helped
Old 08-27-2005, 10:05 AM   #14
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

^what he said

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote