::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2003, 09:23 PM   #1
cashizslick

Exhaust Info

The purpose of this thread is to give info to all the Civic owners who are thinking of investing in an exhaust for their car.
Dont try and sell anything in here.

: : : : : : : : : : :NO PICS=NO POST!

If you have an exhaust on your Civic, tell us about it.
1) How are the performance gains?
2) How much did you pay for it?
3) Was it easy to install?

Please post pictures! Nobody wants to buy an exhaust and not like the way it fits their car - that was a major issue for me as well as sound.
Don't post comments! This is an informational thread, so just post a review. - Thanks

Ok, this is my exhaust. It is a "Thermal R&D Classic" catback exhaust. I paid 400$ for it from www.landspeedracing.com 2 years ago. I love how it looks and sounds (quite deep when compaired to other systems). The performance gains were great and the exhaust was a breeze to install.

Now that Ive swaped my motor, the exhaust sounds REAL
good when the vtec kicks in.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:38 PM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Super-phat idea...thats why it has a sticky
--
Alright, my setup is a Thermal R&D stealth
I got it for $475 at www.RevolutionTuning.com (Free shipping)
Its basically the same as the classic but more mellow
Deep tone, not raspy, not like a "Can o' bees"
I recommend it to anyone and everyone...can't beat stainless steel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear2-20-03.jpg (15.2 KB, 813 views)
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:48 AM   #3
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

2000 Civic Si
DC Sports TCS Catback
$599 from www.summitracing.com
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 06:27 PM   #4
nonovurbizniz

Brospeed... dirt cheap aluminized... works fine... kinda has a similar sound to a greddy/trust... it's kinda throaty but airy at the same time... the tip is a little wack but it's not like a trumpet or anything... as far as performance it's fine same as any other or round about I'm sure.

It was like 245 on clearance.

I'll get some pics up later
Old 04-26-2003, 12:41 PM   #5
Onyx
1st Gear

I have a magnaflow catback exhaust ands I love it. I had it installed at a local shop for $375.00 (parts and labor) Its been on my car for about a year, and no problems. its stainless steel with a lifetime warranty. I didn't want anything real loud so I had it installed with a resonator which gives it an nice deep tone. I have never had it on a dyno but I did feel a difference when I picked up the car.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 12:57 PM   #6
TonitrusEN
4th Gear

I have a Greddy Evo exhaust. Was 560 bucks at one of the local shops, had them install it for 50 bucks and took them about half an hour. I wish i had a garage :(

Love the sound, Love the Sound, Love the sound. It's not a "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG" its nice and throaty, and not obnoxious.. Performance wise it was great as well.. really helped in the top end..

I'll post some pics when i get off work, but I gotta go find my digi-cam.

My Baby

Unbelievable...

Quote:
Anonymous: Yea but a car has 4 heads, so it's headers!

Me: Or.. you could say that a car has one head...
TonitrusEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 10:00 PM   #7
Spitz

I just got the Apex'i N1 for my civic. I payed 493 for it, in my opinion worth every dollar. It has a deep sound not that high raspy sound most people think of when someone says civic. I noticed the power and torque gains low-end and mid-end which is right where i needed then for my car. Overall great exhaust easy to install. I recommend it to anyone with any car.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:13 PM   #8
Mischief(LTS)

I had a sebring Repackable bullet installed about 7 months ago. the sound is pretty impressive. not too loud and not too high (fart can) very deep low sound. and it looks really good too. lots of chrome if you are into that sort of thing, over performance that is... costed me about 150 to buy and 40 to install (bleh) whats especially good is the fact that the tips come color anodized to match. blue red green purple chrome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sebring(small).jpg (39.2 KB, 614 views)
Old 05-26-2003, 07:01 PM   #9
Pinser555

I've got a ractive exuast. Great deal, got it for $150 at a local shop, $60 for install. Wish I had a welder! Sounds great, not like a soda can. Nice and deep.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:40 AM   #10
seanjuan

I have a 92 4dr LX and had the Thermal R&D Stealth catback setup on it for about 4 months. I got it brand new on ebay for $350. I was easy to install and sounded great as far as the tone of the exhaust was considered. The thing I didn't like was that it was not the correct fit for my car. Where the center pipe bends (after the resonator and before the axle) it touches the frame of the car and eventually starts to rattle very loudly. I traded the exhaust to a friend with a 96 HX for his stock exhaust and his HX rims and tires and he had the same problem with the exhaust hitting the frame. He ended up getting a custom piece made at and exhaust shop to correct the problem.

other than fitment, I think it looked and sounded great... not too loud, but louder than stock for sure. I think the HP gains were pretty minimal though, they might have been more psychological than anything.

hope that helps somebody out there
Old 06-02-2003, 09:13 PM   #11
4jacks

I bought my No Name FreeFlow Muffler off of Ebay.
$60
Midas Mandrel Bent 2.5" pipe from my cat back to the muffler
Removed resonator
$170

Exhuast sounds Great, Deep, Not loud enough in my opinion.

Custom Piping is the Only Logical choice.
The same diameter Pipe will give you the Exact Same performance gains.

My Cheap Ebay mufflers finish is 100% A Ok, 1 year later.

Sorry can not post picture (fortunecity server)
But here is a link to my Muffler.

http://members.fortunecity.com/4jacks/muffler.jpg

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 11:46 PM   #12
Mattmob

Old 06-27-2003, 11:15 PM   #13
SeoulJaGirl

i've got a 99 HX. i got my 5Zigen fireball (catback) off of ardperformance.com for about $514 w/ shipping, taxes, etc. (i think it sells for a lil cheaper at finalstageauto.com but they're in florida and i'm not...)
went to the auto shop with a buddy, pretty easy installation.
i love the way it looks and sounds. nice and deep, but not too loud. i kinda do wish it was louder, but oh well.
it hangs at a bit of an angle, uh... it melted a bit of my bumper, but that's only because my bumper is starting to sag (how i hate sagging rears...)
using my own version of pdiggitydogg's venerable ass dyno, i did feel some gains...or maybe i was too excited to really be able to tell...

i'll get some better pics this weekend

here we go
Old 07-09-2003, 09:15 AM   #14
nekcuttR

I have a 2001 Civic LX
My exhaust is totally custom... I ordered a EX header from MatrixRacing and had to drill another sensor hole in it to make it work with my LX... then I ordered a cheap muffler off ebay... and then took it to the shop and had 2.5inch pipe ran from the header to the muffler i removed the cat to get more air flow... there were no sensors on the cat so i decided it would be ok

My exhaust is really loud which i do like... i like the gains it gives me im not sure what it gives me but i can tell the difference

My whole setup costed around 260 bucks and this setup was really easy to install considering the custom work on the header we had to do to make it work the only down side is the size of the pipe which sometimes scratches ground when going over speedbumps
Old 07-13-2003, 10:52 PM   #15
thermal
Banning Machine

Custom 2.5 inch minimized bent exhaust pipe (no resonator)coupled with a Thermal R&D exhaust.
-custom 2.5 exhaust pipe= $110 (including welding and instalation )
-Thermal R&D exhaust muffler= $350

Installation on the muffler is easier than removing the stock one. Thermal R&D exhaust systems are supposed to be dyno "researched and developed". I have no clue what the output HP was supposed to be, however, I really didnt feel a daym thing . Similar to the thermal stealth, it has a very deep tone and mellow (not screaming) sound. The exhaust tip is not very big neither.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 12:21 AM   #16
RavingCivic

I am guessing that u got the Thermal R&D Classic exhuast since you didnt label it either way.

I have finally put my Thermal R&D Stealth on, and it sound Beautiful. it was really loud when i first installed *high flow cat was installed with it* and i didnt like it. so i put the OEM CAT back on and it hummed very nicely.

i went on a trip to the beach *4 hours there and 6 hours back* of which i thought i was going to go nuts because the exhaust hummed so loud at 80 mph. i couldnt even think at the db levels that it was at. since the break in trip to the beach it has quieted down alot * mid rpm is not so loud any longer* i dont notice it nearly as much when driving at 80mph anymore *maybe im just used to it but i doubt it*

anyways i love Thermal R&D exhuast system is great, sounds great, looks even better, and with totally stainless steel exhaust u cant go wrong

as quoted from Sherryl at THermal R&D * 1-818-998-4865 *

u can expect the THermal Classic exhaust on a Civic to be 91 db @ 4600 rpm with a 7-9% increase *meaning the more u add elsewhere exhaust will yield higher hp output*

the Thermal Stealth will be at 87db @ 4600 rpm with a 5-7% increase *same rule applys as before*
Old 09-22-2003, 12:40 PM   #17
cashizslick

I wonder what decibles my car puts out at around 5800 - 8200 rpms?
Old 10-17-2003, 04:15 PM   #18
Operatic

6.9" shell HKS Hi-Power muffler ($210)
3" inlet/outlet Mangaflow Cat ($75)
3" Downpipe/piping ($200)

performance gains you say? i couldn't tell, i bought a turbo and the exhaust at the same time, so i could not tell you if there was any =/

but by far, i enjoy it, its pretty quiet too. just enough to let you know its there, but quiet enough to let the BOV speak for itself =P

(EDIT)

Okay, i'm gonna bring this post to the NEXT level =P follow the link to listen to it. its a 5.08meg download. gonna need the latest version of DivX to see the video, but if not, you'll just get a blank screen, but still hear the car.

right-click to save as -Exhaust
right-click to save as -BOV just for you Acura_86
(/EDIT)

Old 10-22-2003, 03:04 PM   #19
MAXed Out
6th Gear

Damn that sounds nice operatic but lets hear the Hissing from the turbo foo.
By the way i had almost the same setup as he did excluding the downpipe and the muffler which was not HKS but Tanabe.
1997 Maxima SE 5spd, Stillen Body Kit, Warpspeed Y & B pipes, Magnaflow Muffler, Koni Yellows & Tein S-tech springs, JVC Headunit, Directed 7" in dash screen,Stillen Intake, red/clear tail lights, AE mod, Paceseter STS, EL-Glow Gauges, Clutchmasters FX300 Clutch, rebuilt tranny, 19" Mille Miglia Evo 5's with Pirelli Pzero's(summer), 18" Hp D-10 hyper silver wrapped in Goodyear ultra HPR, SPW front strut bar, Helios 7000k HID, Motostorm UDP, Viper 5000Vx alarm, 2 12" PowerClass 124 subs, Kenwood 1200 Watt amp, DVD Changer
MAXed Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 09:05 PM   #20
VR4_Craver
Banned

2002 civic si apex N1 exhaust was 60 bucks (egay) had it installed for 60 at muffler man.. Went back twice for exhaust leaks because the welder is an idiot...finally pulled it off and did it at school. Nice deep steady tone.
the geekz0r (11:03:46 PM): basicly, look at it this way...the 6speed is the same is the 5speed in 2,3,4,5,and 6...only the speeds are different because of the fd
the geekz0r (11:04:16 PM): so 2nd pulls like 1st in the 5speed, 3rd is like 2nd, etc.
PortugeeTex (11:04:26 PM): so whats 1st like then?
the geekz0r (11:04:49 PM): 1st is like hitting a cheeta in the ass with a tazer
PortugeeTex (11:04:53 PM): lmfao
VR4_Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 11:56 AM   #21
Honda_Tengoku

Thermal R & D classic system
pros:
easy install
makes good power according to butt dyno

cons:
very loud
Sounds like a pissed off bumble bee
wont fit with a Skunk2 24MM rear anti-sway bar

Final word:
I hate this exhaust. It sounds terrible, especially after a year all the sound damnpening fiberglass blew out of the muffler and it is now even louder, not to mention its got vibration, and farty sounds to it. I also had to beat a section of pipe flat to clear my rear anti-sway bar, and it still rubs! I would not reccomend this exhaust to anyone.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:16 PM   #22
AkimboStylee

Does the company invidia make good exhaust? because i found a complete kit (header Back) for just under 500!
Old 12-17-2003, 07:29 PM   #23
AkimboStylee

this is a pick of the exhaust

this is the invidia exhast, its like 479, tell me what you guys think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg invidia_stainless.jpg (8.3 KB, 210 views)
AkimboStylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 07:53 PM   #24
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

their description sounds prettu decent. i can get it at your door for $505

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 10:56 PM   #25
AkimboStylee

will an exhaust that is meant for an 89-91 crx, fit my 88 to 91 hatch??
Old 01-26-2004, 07:14 AM   #26
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

it should

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 12:35 PM   #27
HondaGUY2005

I've only heard good things about invidia exhaust systems, they add good power, and they sound awesome too:

(i'll get the link once its available)
Old 02-17-2004, 04:00 PM   #28
AkimboStylee

thanks, but i sold my car that this exhaust goes to
Old 03-15-2004, 08:18 PM   #29
HondaGUY2005

LINK!!! finally!

http://josiahgordon.com/s2000/exhaus..._mov00359.mpeg
Old 03-19-2004, 02:37 PM   #30
Honda_Tengoku

sounds very very good. I am impressed.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:06 AM   #31
AkimboStylee

hey hg2k5, what system are you running i like that it sounds nice
Old 03-30-2004, 09:19 PM   #32
Sivik

YAY!! I finally got my clips done. Here ya go!

My setup is 98 EX with Greddy Turbo, stock cat, and Tanabe Super Racing Medallion Catback.

First Clip: Outside the car in my garage. BOV gets loud so be prepared. Exhaust is quiet until I rev high.

Outside Car

2nd Clip: Inside Car Flooring it... not too loud and still here the BOV... if you listen close you can hear the VTEC!!! not that thats exciting but oh well.

Inside Run 1

3rd Clip: One more run same as before...

Inside Run 2

I just got my digital camera today so i'll make some vid's and hopefully sound better too.

My Car

My Car is for sale
Sivik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 10:37 PM   #33
AkimboStylee

damn
Old 04-28-2004, 12:05 PM   #34
wheresmylicense

which exhaust is best as far as sound and hp gains when coupled with DC sport headers? GReddy? Invidia? Tanabe?

Pictures of My Baby
wheresmylicense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 02:55 PM   #35
JDMFantasy2k

my exhaust is a RS-R EX Mag GT2 catback system, i got it from driftspeed.com for $480, and i HIGHLY disapprove of their company. Nonetheless, my exhaust sounds awesome and looks great. It has a very aggressive rice sound (similar to the s2k in the first fast and the furious)

Old 05-11-2004, 01:52 AM   #36
RxGoaT13
4th Gear

im looking for a very quite exhaust for my 95 civic, any suggestions?
RxGoaT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:42 PM   #37
cashizslick

^^ Get what i got.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:59 PM   #38
Honda_Tengoku

review on the Magnaflow exhaust system for 98 Civic CX HB

pros..
-excellent sound
-clears anit-sway bars easily
-very inexpensive compared to other exhaust systems
-good power (atleast that I can tell)

cons...
-mufflers are the only stainless part in the exhaust system
-finish quality is not quite as good as some other exhaust systems

Final word...

For the money and quality I give this one a thumbs up! The only drawbacks are the steel tubing (non stainless), and the exhaust system is not all flanges. There is a expanded end, with an exhaust clamp in the middle of the exhaust. Sure its not the best looking exhaust system, but who cares! Its not like people look under the car anyways.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:01 AM   #39
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:
Originally posted by RxGoaT13
im looking for a very quite exhaust for my 95 civic, any suggestions?

As much as I hate Thermal exhausts; the Thermal Stealth system is very quiet, and has had good reviews. Or u could have an exhaust system made with the twin loop muffler design (like the Jackson Racing one).
Old 06-29-2004, 03:24 AM   #40
wal
2nd Gear

lol i just got a carbon fibre back box 4 incher baby, it sounds alright like but i wanna go full system after ma engine transplant and turbo, that and a de cat pipe should make it sound canny, i hope
wal is offline   Reply With Quote