::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2005, 09:23 AM   #1
sicones

flywheel

yesterday I bought a fidanza lightened flywheel and an exedy stage 1 clutch, so I tryed putting the small pilot bearing in the center of the flywheel and its looks like it should fit there but it does'nt fit at all is this right???
sicones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:43 PM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Should fit right in there, yep. Are all your parts correct? Are you putting it in on the correct side?
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:17 AM   #3
sicones

As far as I know he sold me the correct parts, I tryed the pilot bearing that came with the clutch and I tryed 2 pilot bearings I bought from honda just in case, when you put the pilot bearing in theres a lip on one side so I know I'm not putting it in backwards. Is it a good idea to try and sand the inside a little, but I really dont wanna go sanding expensive brand new parts like this, maybe I'll bring it to the guys I bought it from...
Old 07-29-2005, 09:41 AM   #4
pdiggitydogg

No, dont sand anything. It should go right in, no problem...if it doesnt, something isnt right.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:41 AM   #5
sicones

I was just reading some stuff that a 7lb flywheel may be to light for like street use or something, when I hit the gas pedal I dont want it to rev like a mother fucker, should I just return it and get a heaver one???
Old 07-29-2005, 11:58 AM   #6
AzCivic

research BEFORE you buy. anyways yeah 7lbs is pretty stinkin light, what kind of racing do you like to do? if its mainly drag type racing I wouldn't bother with a lighter flywheel, its good to have the momentum of a heavier flywheel help launch you on take off.

look at the act prolite or streetlite if you want a light flywheel while still being streetable.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 12:18 PM   #7
pdiggitydogg

Woa...7lbs? Yeah, thats light...
Id return it and look at a streetlite, like AZ suggested. Go to Styledright.com
Old 07-29-2005, 04:13 PM   #8
Mischief

yea 12.5 lbs. is a good size for a flywheel

http://mensalmanac.com
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:04 PM   #9
sicones

I did plenty of research a lot of people go with the exedy and fidanza combo and that the fidanza is a good flywheel so why not, why would such a lighter flywheel not be streetable????
Old 07-29-2005, 10:51 PM   #10
pdiggitydogg

Something that light will cause the revs to drop like a rock when youre off the gas. It is streetable, sure...but its going to be really really tough to get used to anything like that. Id imagine it would be work to drive every single day
Old 07-29-2005, 11:05 PM   #11
AzCivic

just about anything is "streetable" if your willing to make unusual compromises.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:36 AM   #12
sicones

ok well I'm exchanging the fidanza 7lb for a the 12 lb ACT on monday its $15 more and since my car is a daily driver and you people are scaring the shit outa me im exchanging it
Old 07-30-2005, 11:55 AM   #13
pdiggitydogg

wise move
Thats the same wheel Im buying for my setup - Id love to see what you'll have to say about it
Old 08-03-2005, 12:07 PM   #14
nonovurbizniz

IMO lighter is better unless you plan to drag race...

I have the fidanza 7lb flywheel and it's fine... NO problems with drivability what so ever...

The rpms don't drop rediculous fast, it doesn't take TOO much more gas to get it going from a stop, and it doesn't rev up super fast or anything...

I mean the limiting factor is still the engines ability to over come the weight of your CAR not your flywheel...

Sure in neutral it'll zing up quick... but that doesn't matter...

I can barely tell the difference between the stock 16lb and the fidanza 7lb... so I'd say go as light as you can... it's not going to negatively affect you unless you're drag racing... then it's a LITTLE TINY BIT harder to get off the line...

If you were draggin with slicks... DEFINATELY not a good idea... but short of that 7lbs is fine.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:10 PM   #15
nonovurbizniz

P.S. I have a grind in 3rd gear that I have to wait a solid 2-3 seconds for the revs to drop enough to put in in 3rd from 2nd... so the revs REALLY do not drop that fast at all...

Even if the engine revs did drop rediculously faster... the input shaft won't slow down as fast as the engine once the clutch is engaged... so even it the engine revs drop like a rock (they don't with a 7lb flywheel) the trans will still be spinning for a little longer.

Over all VERY satisfied with my fidanza... if I would change anything it would be making it lighter... DEF. NOT HEAVIER
Old 08-04-2005, 10:10 AM   #16
sicones

darn well I already exchanged it for the 12lb one, I was thinking maybe I should just keep it too, but Im not exchanging it a second time, next time...
Old 08-04-2005, 05:03 PM   #17
nonovurbizniz

wurd... any lightening will help...

As far as me not really noticing the difference... keep in mind I wasn't daily driving the car before install... AND I had an input shaft problem AND a bad clutch master....

SO I wasn't exactly getting the most out of the car or driving it often enough to make a good comparison.

I wasn't going to go the lightest based on most peoples opinions too but then I figured it's not my daily driver anymore so why not...

Once I installed it was clear it could be my daily driver and not bother me... just takes getting used to coming off the line differently...

Also if there's one thing I DEFINATELY recomend.. is that if the flywheel isn't balanced from the manufacturer (don't think most are) GET IT BALANCED...

Mine is obviously a little off and it made my other wise VERY smooth idle a little lumpy... which Kinda pissed me off since I just cheaped out on balancing it.

But again it's just a little lumpy.

Good luck.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:48 PM   #18
sicones

yea I also think aluminum flywheels have a little more chatter over the chrome moly ones like act or a stock one.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:03 AM   #19
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz

Also if there's one thing I DEFINATELY recomend.. is that if the flywheel isn't balanced from the manufacturer (don't think most are) GET IT BALANCED...

Mine is obviously a little off and it made my other wise VERY smooth idle a little lumpy... which Kinda pissed me off since I just cheaped out on balancing it.

But again it's just a little lumpy.

i think thats more a characteristic of it being too light and not unbalanced, the heavier the flywheel the smoother the idle.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:29 PM   #20
nonovurbizniz

yeah I don't know that's a possibility but frankly I don't really even notice it anymore now... it may have just needed some time to break in.

Not sure... once I hash out the other minor idle problems I'll know for sure...

I do know that on H-T when I asked about it most said they didn't but one dude DID have the fidanza balanced and it was "way off" in terms of balance... they had to add or shave nearly 1/2 ounce off one side.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:56 PM   #21
AzCivic

i'd think if it was unbalanced enought to notice at idle then at redline it would just shatter. that's just a guess though.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:33 AM   #22
sicones

I'm guessing my act flywheel does not need to be balenced because its going in the damn car today

I have a few questions though do any of the flywheel or clutch bolts get any loctite or just torque em down and would just a jack be suffiecent enough to support the engine when I pull the tranny, also if any one has any tips please share THANKS