::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2003, 01:46 PM   #1
93Honda

total newbie needs help

Hey, i'm a complete beginner to anything dealing with car modification. Basically what everything is etc. Right now i have a basic 93 Honda Civic DX Coupe and i'm wanting to upgrade it. Can anyone help me start along this path and help explain things to me.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:58 PM   #2
sohc_vtec 2NR

before you "upgrade" anything what exactly is your plan with your car... autocross, drag, grocery getter, show, etc....depending on what you plan on doin' with your car will determine what mods you do to it... once you've decided on your 'goal' then its time to start saving some money...lots of it..
Old 05-27-2003, 08:59 PM   #3
94 civic jdmD15b

Re: total newbie needs help

Quote:
Originally posted by 93Honda
Hey, i'm a complete beginner to anything dealing with car modification. Basically what everything is etc. Right now i have a basic 93 Honda Civic DX Coupe and i'm wanting to upgrade it. Can anyone help me start along this path and help explain things to me.

I have a 94 civic with a jdm d15b vtec. Its pretty quick compared to the d15b7.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:30 PM   #4
93Honda

see i have basically no idea what you just said, i know it's a 94 civic, and it's a vtec. Oh an, to the previous poster, street racing is what i plan on. I know i'll need a lot of money,lol, in fact right now i have to pay to repair my front bumper and hood after ripping a jetta's back bumper off lol.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:44 PM   #5
Mischief(LTS)

well then if you plan on street racing, you are going to want to focus on the engine solely. the first thing i would do is determine my budget. if it is high enough, i would do an engine swap. basically it's taking a better (more powerful) engine from another honda and drop it in your engine bay.

if you have a relatively small budget, you can do the typical add-on's. this includes headers, cam gears, turbo/super charger, nos, exhaust system, pulleys, ECU, short shifter, forged and polished/bigger pistons, new suspension, brakes, all of that good stuff and so on. these add-ons can range in price from 50.00- 3000.00+

and of course if you want to go all out, you can do all of the above to significantly increase the power of your car.

typically, the more money you have, the better off you are for this type of thing
Old 05-27-2003, 11:52 PM   #6
AzCivic

Quote:
see i have basically no idea what you just said, i know it's a 94 civic, and it's a vtec. Oh an, to the previous poster, street racing is what i plan on. I know i'll need a lot of money,lol, in fact right now i have to pay to repair my front bumper and hood after ripping a jetta's back bumper off lol.

If its a DX then it shouldnt have vtec.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 12:53 AM   #7
93Honda

mine isn't. Mine is a 93 DX Coupe, 5 speed manual transmission. It already has a front under spoiler. A crappy one but one none the less. It came with the car when i bought it.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:58 AM   #8
93Honda

oh mischief, what about body upgrades. Adding a spoiler, street tires, etc.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:45 AM   #9
Spitz

You know i have to say how much further ahead of the game you are then like 50 people on this website, because you a newbie know you don't vtec in your dx but some of these guys with like hundreds of posts still say there dx has vtec
Old 05-28-2003, 10:20 AM   #10
93Honda

it's pretty easy to tell, VTEC engines say vtec next to the honda logo on the transmission. Mine does not and thus is not a VTEC lol. That and it is in my car manual lol.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:17 AM   #11
Mischief(LTS)

93honda:

heres the explanation: the addition of a body kit, spoiler, other stuff like that does absolutely ZERO for the performance aspect of your car. generally, the body kits and spoilers are for show pretty much. anything else weighs down the car and does more harm than good. the purchase of aftermarket tires/brakes/suspension and so on can benefit you greatly in the area of better handling and steering, etc. i would make it a priority not to add body kit or spoiler. while the change in weight with the addons stated above is not dramatic, it is still there. if you look back at real drag racing cars, the ones that have made a difference, every single thing has been stripped which isnt needed for the car. its all dead weight.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:38 PM   #12
93Honda

i was thinking that but i wasn't sure. Considering my car is FF a rear spoiler won't do squat. I'm going to go find that post where the guy ripped out the insides of his car and only left what was absolutely necessary.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:40 PM   #13
Mischief(LTS)

laugh at people who drag race their hondas with body kits/spoilers
Old 05-28-2003, 02:32 PM   #14
Wallythecat

Quote:
in fact right now i have to pay to repair my front bumper and hood after ripping a jetta's back bumper off lol.

I hate to say it, but be careful man...

There's nothing worse than a kid with a fast car who can't drive for shit...
Old 05-28-2003, 02:46 PM   #15
94 civic jdmD15b

spitz, Im not sure if you were talking about my post, but the jdm d15b motor in my car does have vtec. Its a 3 stage with 137 HP.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:51 PM   #16
94 civic jdmD15b

Quote:

Your engine code is d15b7. Thats the same motor I had in my 94 civic. Bolt ons are just a waste IMO just do a swap. I got a jdm d15b vtec and its much fasterstock compared to the d15b7 with I/H/E
Old 05-28-2003, 04:30 PM   #17
93Honda

i'm a good driver, don't snicker, there was almost a pileup when i hit the jetta because she had to slam on her brakes too. My brakes just locked and i kept on skidding.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:18 PM   #18
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

alright...my first civic post in a while...

well since you want to illegally street race, id keep the car as close to stock looking as possible just to keep the attention off you from the local po-po's. Swap out your pos dx motor and drop in a better B-series (b16 or b18) and from there go either na or boost it. Focus on the engine and speed...forget about looks until youre fast enough...but even then, dont go nuts with all the rice
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 06:07 PM   #19
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by 94 civic jdmD15b
Your engine code is d15b7. Thats the same motor I had in my 94 civic. Bolt ons are just a waste IMO just do a swap. I got a jdm d15b vtec and its much fasterstock compared to the d15b7 with I/H/E

you couldve just swaped on a vtec head. why did you swap the whole engine?
Old 05-28-2003, 06:15 PM   #20
93Honda

i'm thinking of shoving one of those V6 Accord engines in there if i can get it to fit.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:40 PM   #21
slowEJ6

street racing is ****in dumb.......have fun putting peoples lives in danger.....

damn newbies
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 06:41 PM   #22
slowEJ6

Quote:
i'm thinking of shoving one of those V6 Accord engines in there if i can get it to fit.

not going to happen.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 06:44 PM   #23
94 civic jdmD15b

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
you couldve just swaped on a vtec head. why did you swap the whole engine?

Timming belt broke @ 6200rpm's, And #1,2,4 pistons and valves took a shit. So I swaped in the jdm
Old 05-28-2003, 07:26 PM   #24
93Honda

i'm not exactly all for street racing, i also want to do some track.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:25 PM   #25
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by 94 civic jdmD15b
Timming belt broke @ 6200rpm's, And #1,2,4 pistons and valves took a shit. So I swaped in the jdm

oh. yeah thats a good reason.
Old 05-29-2003, 02:18 AM   #26
RavingCivic

Quote:
it's pretty easy to tell, VTEC engines say vtec next to the honda logo on the transmission. Mine does not and thus is not a VTEC lol. That and it is in my car manual lol.

THe hEll they DO, i have a 97 EX with VTEC and my engine doth be PLAIN son, NO VTEC badge or logo ANYwhere on the car, but i know it has one
Old 05-29-2003, 10:54 AM   #27
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

psh you need super cool decals like mine...then you KNOW that its vtec
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vtec.jpg (5.5 KB, 7 views)
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote