::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2002, 05:49 PM   #1
MWild

Accord idle and tranny issues

I have a 1990 Accord EX, 116,000 mi., with a couple of quirks and thought you guys might help out! First is the classic Accord rough idle that occurs mostly when the engine is "in-between" Hot and Cold, but is also very slight at warm idle, especially with electrical accessories fired up. Just a light bump up of the RPM and it straightens out. The car is recently tuned, has new front torque strut mount and I have "flashed" the ECU and started fresh. Still I have this issue. Any suggestions?? Second, the Auto tranny is developing a "late-shift" in the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts, not particularly rough, and just late enough to be a nusiance. It acts like it is in the Sports mode, but the 1-2 is fine. The fluid was changed recently, but it made no improvent. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-10-2002, 07:55 PM   #2
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

The idle thing is kinda normal.. You're power demand is too much for the alt.

If its really bothering you, you could slightly raise the idle speed, but I wouldnt..

For the tranny.. Have you changed the fluid lately?
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 09:25 PM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

did u check the engine mounts ? the one in front is causing the late shift as the engine torques on higher rpms. the 4th gens are very known for this issue.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 05:43 PM   #4
MWild

Guys,

Thanks for the help! FYI, the trans fluid was changed less than 500 miles ago, additionally, I replaced the front "dog bone" torque strut mount last week......still have the problems......
Old 03-11-2002, 07:53 PM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i have the same problems and i though that that should fix it. anyway i'm gonna flush the tranny before changing the oil. last time the dealer changed they told me that i had metal shaving in the oil, so i guess a new tranny might be needed. how does your car shift ? does it shift rough on normal driving and misses to engage under extreme acceleration ? Do u have any torque steer problems with it ?

Old 03-12-2002, 12:25 PM   #6
93chromeacc

I have a 4th gen and it does the exact same things as well. Changin fluids wont do nuthin. I've tried that many a times. I was told it was the motor mounts. Replace them both (one's in the front, and the other in the back on the bottom of the engine). This is supposed to help. I was thinking of raisin my idle to fix the electical use problem too, but haven't done it yet. My car smokes real bad as well, so I'm replacin the O2 sensor this week to try and fix that and I'll see what the rest of the "issues" are doin then.
Old 03-12-2002, 02:39 PM   #7
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

ok i had a talk with the dealer today and they told me how they are gonna fix it. they will take the wheels off, and drain the fluid. with the plug off they will start the engine and pour the fluid in the tranny one quart at a time, and rev it up to 2500 rpms in every geard (1,2, D3, D4). this is what they call tranny flush. Well 'll give it a try next week or so. also i wanna replace the torque motor mount, and add an energy suspension motormount insert kit. that will prevent the engine from moving around. Did u notice that the mount bushings are too soft ?