::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2002, 10:31 PM   #1
98CivicDude

Whats the cam gear all about

I've ordered a CAM gear from AEM and it should be here soon but I'm not quite sure on what to do with it...I purchased it because the gears I have now are disgusting and my car is all show and some go...but could somebody please explan to me what a cam gear does and how i should "tune" or "retard" it to meet with my engine ? Thanks guys. Also are under drive pulleys a waste of money on a civic ?
Old 07-29-2002, 04:23 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

beats, me dude how you are gonna tune them, but i've heard that it takes hours on the dyno to get the best out of them. Don't use somebody else's settings. as for the pulley i have no first hand experience with them but i've heard they are good but do not offer noticeable gains. also saty away from Unortodox racing ones. they tend to unbalance the engine which will cause damage in the long run

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 06:00 PM   #3
AzCivic

The instructions that come with the cam gear give you a way to tune them. Have you thought of how you're going to put it in? Cause in less you're real good at mechanical stuff under the hood you are probably going to want to wait until you replace your timing belt which will cost about $300 or you could replace it early.
As far as underdrive pulleys, you probably don't want them if you plan on or have a sound system, cause it'll start to drain the battery. Whatever you do don't go to Midas to have the work done!!! Hope this helps.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 12:04 PM   #4
ShEaNy

hey honda..are u serious theres no real gains in those pullies? Theres this shop called Toysport.where i live here..and they were claiming u should get almost 10 hp... are they lieing? plus the guy said if i get that with a AEM cam i should notice more of a gain....
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 02:12 PM   #5
AzCivic

They're probably telling you want you want to hear. A cam gear won't really add HP but rather allow you to move the power band up and down, for example you'll gain low end at the expense of some top end and visa versa. Now in a DOHC setup its a little different and you will see gains provided they're tuned. The other exception is if you have a upgraded cam in the SOHC.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:16 PM   #6
Aniliticalstud

i always thought you got diffrent pulleys for a supercharger or something from that sort, i've been told that it's really not worth the hassle unless you have some sort of charger on it really, but hey that could be a fish story for all i know...
Old 07-31-2002, 12:32 PM   #7
H2OCivic95

CAM gear wont do anything useful on a SOHC.
Old 08-01-2002, 09:37 AM   #8
CiviCRaceR

Ouch, sorry bro but i think you wasted your money. Tuning a SOHC cam is almost pointless, let alone a DX. If you really are going show then dont waste your money on things like this. But regarding the post, to actually tune it, its going to cost a lot. You're going to have to bring it to a shop to dynojet tune it which will run you a pretty penny. Oh, and expect about a 2-3 HP gains.. if that.
Old 08-02-2002, 09:47 AM   #9
quik

I can't believe you bought the cam gear without knowing what it does . I'm no mechanic, but I always check things out before I spend my $$$.

[get down off soap box]

The cam gear really won't help much in the MADD PAWAZZ department unless you have a high performance cam to go along with it. I don't know about the DX's, so do the research first! Try this websight: www.jdmfan.com
It has an article on tuning cams (look in the technical section), but it's for a DOHC not a SOHC. Could give you a place to start.

I have the pullies, and they're not that impressive. Don't waste your time or your $$$ on them unless they are for looks only. I plan on converting my PS to manual soon, I've heard it is much better at freeing up HP and it should shed some lbs. Good luck.

Quik
Old 08-02-2002, 01:34 PM   #10
AzCivic

Hey quik, do know where there's a how-to on changing the PS to manual? Do you think it would help with highspeed handling as well?
Old 08-05-2002, 10:08 AM   #11
quik

Here, try this thread over at Honda-Tech:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread...rint&id=184202

It's a little cofusing the first three times you read it (I printed it out), because of all of the stupid questions those guys kept asking. But, it is very straight forward, sheds about 15 lbs and free's up some ponies . I haven't done it yet, and I probably wont have time to do it for the next couple of months. But, as easy as it is I'm gonna do it. Hope this helps.

Quik
Old 08-05-2002, 01:10 PM   #12
AzCivic

Thanks
Old 08-09-2002, 11:40 AM   #13
nonovurbizniz

cam gear

well.. these guys are pretty dead on.

a. yer dumb for buying something without:
1. researching it (finding out which company makes the best one... AEM ain't it (it only has 3 adjuster screws making it unstable and suceptable to slipage)
2. Knowing what it does (it adjusts the "cam timing" this is generaly worthless on a SOHC motor. because by advancing or retarding the intake timing you do the opposite to the exhaust)

The answer is: You should send back the camgear because
a. it's the worst one on the market
b. even if it were the best one it would not do anything (1-2 hp is doing nothing if the temperature raises by so much as a degree you've already lost your new hp's)
c. to get those 2-5 hp (im being generous now) you'd need to spend at least $100 to get someone to tune it on a dyno. (to answer your question you either advance (lift is earlier) or retard (lift is later) your cam-timing. you then run it on a dyno to see what setting gives the most power (you should also be fiddling with the ignition-timing and fuel maps for real results (4-8 hp on a DOHC motor)

get a stock cam gear it's more solid and reliable than the aem unit. if your set on getting a pretty one then get a spoon or any other company that uses AT LEAST 4 adjuster bolts (spoon has 5 or 6)

the underdrive pulleys as said will create premature wear and poor performance out of all of your accesories. (accesories like alternator and a/c and power steering are all designed to give their steady output at about 2000 rpm but with underdrive pulley's they will be UNDERDRIVEN and hence your alt. probobly won't put out good amps till your reving at about 3500-4000 rpm. and if you have an amp or any kind of accesories (lights on at night) the battery MIGHT drain. the a/c will suck till your at hi-revs and the power steering well.... probobly won't be that bad.

just pull all your accesories except your alternator if you want more power.

as far as the power gain claims they're probobly true for another application. one tipicle techique used by K&N filtercharger systems is an add that claims 15-20 hp peak gain.

is it true... ya if your putting it on a Corvette with 385 hp.

the moral of the story is LEARN befor you SPEND
nonovurbizniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 10:29 PM   #14
fastasfoggy

well i dont think youre dumb, for 100 dollars its good thing to buy with a new camshaft, then bring that to the dyno.....i bet if you put that cam gear on the classifieds these same guys would buy it from you......then you can put that towards your "buying a vtec fund"
Old 08-13-2002, 06:36 PM   #15
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by fastasfoggy
well i dont think youre dumb, for 100 dollars its good thing to buy with a new camshaft, then bring that to the dyno.....i bet if you put that cam gear on the classifieds these same guys would buy it from you......then you can put that towards your "buying a vtec fund"

If you'll refer to my quote unless you're a real good mechanic the gear is going to cost you about $400. And for what? I think spending much money beyond i/h/e, nitrous or maybe a turbo on a SOHC is a waste of cash. Save up and get one of those four or an engine swap, most anything else is a waste, cam gearm pulleys, sparkplug wires, etc etc. That is of course your goal is to be fast.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:59 PM   #16
fastasfoggy

what do you have on your car?
Old 08-13-2002, 09:08 PM   #17
fastasfoggy

i guess when its not your car your opinion can help or just not matter at all, right? and for 400 dollars i could get a cam and gear, and maybe 20 hp(so they claim).....
Old 08-13-2002, 11:24 PM   #18
AzCivic

Check out under my post that'll tell you what's on my car. Oh you can also add an AEM cam gear, so i think i know what i'm talking about here. Yeah for 400$ you COULD get a cam and gear and then you'd have to spend another $250 on springs/retainers you'll need plus $300 to install the gear, its not too hard to replace the cam. And I seriously doubt a cam will net anything near 20hp try closer to 10 on a SOHC motor.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:28 PM   #19
AzCivic

Infact if you check out crower's website they have dyno results for the DOHC engine gaining a whopping 13hp(on a streetable setup), expect less on a SOHC.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:31 PM   #20
fastasfoggy

you only have to buy springs and retainers if the cam calls for it...and i meant 20 hp is what they claimmmmmmmmmm like i said in the post before........i even put put the little ( things to show you that....i just dont think its right to say something is dumb on someone elses paycheck and someone elses car.....he just wanted to know how to tuuunnnneee it, right?
Old 08-13-2002, 11:52 PM   #21
AzCivic

when did I ever say it was dumb???? I'm trying to help out someone before they make the same 90$ mistake i did.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:24 AM   #22
fastasfoggy

read everybodies replies
Old 08-14-2002, 12:27 AM   #23
AzCivic

OH i thought we were talking me and you.
As a side note I don't think thats cool either.