.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > My Car is Broken!
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2002, 11:19 AM   #1
ZodGilla

cigarette lighter

My cigarette lighter was working two days ago but then it just stopped working. Its not a problem with the actual lighter part... It looks like an electrical problem in the outlet itself... Is there any way I can fix it?
Old 07-12-2002, 01:07 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

I'd start out by grabbing a multimeter to see if its getting any power in the first place.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 02:50 PM   #3
blind34_1

Does the little ring of light around the outlet light up when you turn on your headlights?

and yes, test it w/ multimeter
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 09:59 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

are your windows rolling up and down with the key out of the ignition ? is the dome light coming on ? are the intermitent wipers working ? if they don't then you have a blown fuse. have you tried anything else in that outlet ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 10:51 AM   #5
ZodGilla

Yes the ring around it still lights up... yes the windows roll up... yes the dome light comes on... I have tried several things in the cigarette lighter and none of them work.
Old 07-13-2002, 12:51 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

it has like a harness behind it. check that one out. i think mine was off once just for that reason

Old 07-14-2002, 11:52 AM   #7
ZodGilla

How do I get to the harness and what do I do to fix it?
Old 07-14-2002, 12:22 PM   #8
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ZodGilla
How do I get to the harness and what do I do to fix it?

You'll need to take out your console (held on by a bunch of screws...) and then you can get to it. I'm not exactly sure how to remove the console on a 4th gen.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 05:41 PM   #9
blind34_1

I'll give this a try...

Your console is probably held in by four screws (I'm guessing, accords are slightly diff than civics). One screw will be nearest to steering column, at an odd angle. Another will be accessible only if you open your glove compartment, and itll be on the left side. The other two will be down lower, and should be very obvious.

When (or if) you get that off, you'll see wires near the back of your cig lighter, wires to the light ring around the lighter, and some wires going to an ashtray light (?). These wires run back into a harness. Should be only four wires going into a little plastic thingy that is latched into another plastic thingy. It might be mounted onto a peice of plastic, but I broke mine off long ago, it makes things easier for future projects. The wires are: 12V accesory, ground, 12v only when headlights are on, and another ground (I think)

Now, check the back of your cig lighter. There should be two wires (12v+ and ground) 12v+ is the wire going to the center of it, and the ground is connected to the outer "shell". Make sure they are not shorting each other, or touching any bare metal.
If one of these are not making contact, then theres youre problem. If not, I would just make a note of what wires go where, and just replace them all.

(BTW: Cigerate lighters in cars work like RCA cables. The outside sheath is "negative" and the inner pin is "positive". (its kinda different with sound, but kinda the same. hard to explain.)

hope this helps out. anyone with an accord please help to clarify this.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 08:04 PM   #10
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

let me ask you first: is the center console incorporating the parking brake or not ? my buddy's 90 lx is the short one and the handbrake just comes out of the floor, and on mine the handprake comes out of the console. if it's like the first one there are 4 screws holding it(2 by the dash and 2 on the sides behind the shifter). if it's like mine there are 6 screws(2 by the dash, 2 by on the sides behinf the shifter, and 2 on the sides behind the front seats)

Old 07-18-2002, 11:11 PM   #11
untainted

zod ... its like a plug on the cigarette lighter itself behind it mine was unplugged once too but it just uses power an who likes cigarettes neway bah... f that up lol
Old 07-18-2002, 11:58 PM   #12
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

maybe he wants to use it for the phone charger