::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2003, 10:35 AM   #1
peter

making my civic faster

i just got a new 03 civic lx. i was just wondering what i could do to make it a little faster. just basic mods to help on pick up and stuff. anyone got any suggestions or sites with detailed steps? thanks in advance
Old 03-27-2003, 11:33 AM   #2
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

we;; you could start w/ the basic bolt on mods that you could find. Intake,Header and exhaust. Let the ride breath a bit..Then some plugs and wires to improve the spark a bit...

That should be a little start for you and some ideas to go off of...
Old 03-27-2003, 11:41 AM   #3
JDMB16

well, your basic mods would usually consist of bolt-ons. Here is a list of parts that are considered bolt ons

intake
throttle body
intake manifold
header
high flow cat
exhaust
Old 03-27-2003, 03:32 PM   #4
oc civic

basic mods will do little to nothing...

consider an NX or NOS nitrous kit..
Old 03-27-2003, 05:53 PM   #5
Honda530

Well until what ya really want to do with it. Just do the simple stuff Intake header exhaust high flow cat fuel pressure regulator and guage, shortshifter. Then work on suspension. Front, rear and lower tie bars. Get some nice rims and a good suspension setup drop it like 2 inches. Then youll have a quicker better handling nice ride. From there you can do what ever ya want.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:28 PM   #6
ShEaNy

Quote:
Originally posted by oc civic

lol..right lets skip right to the laughing gas on a engine not even broken it lol...isnt that bad?......upgrade ur fuel system a bit for this...maybe intake exhaust as well...
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 09:48 PM   #7
trabadoor22

i had a '97 civic and i added just a magnaflow catback system and it made a very noticable difference . i recently test drove a 03 ex and honestly they felt very similar power wise . you could tell the ex was a little quicker , but not by much . so imo the exhaust is a very good way to gain some added hp . an exhaust system along with headers and an intake and you should easily be able to beet an ex . after that ide go with the other things that jdmb16 said . then if you choose later on , get a turbo , nitrous or supercharger .
Old 03-27-2003, 10:57 PM   #8
nonovurbizniz

ALL cars have power restrictions built into the intake and exhaust system... as long as you don't plan on turbo or supercharger it's almost always best to start of with an intake and exhaust... I've never bothered with a header although I'm sure again that will be an opening of a bottle neck...

No you WILL NOT get the same power from intake/header/cat/exhaust/f.p.r. that you would with a nitros system but I don't think this dude is looking to go juicing around the streets... I think he's looking for a little more pick up.. which bolt on's will provide.. plus they open up the most critical part of the engine rev range... the uppers... so you can wind out the gears more effortlessly which is sometimes enough on it's own..

If you looking for serious power for cheap.. get nitros..

If your looking for serious power regardless of initial budget get turbo or super charged...
Old 03-28-2003, 07:22 AM   #9
JDMB16

Quote:
Originally posted by oc civic

considering this guy seems like he doesn't know THAT much about cars and modding them and wants to just make it a little bit quicker and wants and I quote

Quote:
just basic mods to help on pick up and stuff

I think nitrous would be out of the question....nitrous is no "basic" mod...like I said, basic mods are bolt ons as I have listed. Also, don't waste money on a FPR, you don't need one and it won't help out unless you have some type of FI.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:39 AM   #10
peter

thanks for the replies guys, nitrous is not an option oc civic, like nonovurbizniz said, i just want the car to be a little faster in general, when i step on it, not a slow car that i could spray at every light. intake and exhaust is what i'm looking for, anybody got any recomendations on products and a good place to buy them?
Old 03-28-2003, 09:16 AM   #11
oc civic

i will bet money if you run your car in the 1/4 mile now, and then after your intake and exhaust, it will run almost the same.. it will just sound louder
Old 03-28-2003, 09:48 AM   #12
oc civic

if any of you actualy ever installed a nitrous kit you would understand.. its pretty basic/straightfoward....

there are only two ways to make a fast honda, a SICK n/a build... or forced induction (turbo, nitrous, blower)
Old 03-28-2003, 09:58 AM   #13
peter

i don't really want to make my honda fast, i'm not racing anyone and i'm not taking it to the track to run the 1/4 mile. i just wanted some suggestions on making it a little faster.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:05 AM   #14
ShEaNy

man..plus u cant use nitrious all the time...once...then go fill her up....those bolt ons are there ALL the time...regardless of the gain...at least its something for now..u have to build ur engine up a bit before throwing on a supercharger or turbo....something will blow..it costs money man....INtake headers exhaust....there is the basics for now...good brand names - AEM = intake...Greddy = exhaust...or maybe custom exhaust with a muffler...headers = DC, neuspeed....its up to u....
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 10:38 AM   #15
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Well...if all your looking for is a tiny bit of go, just advance the timing a few degrees and maybe throw on a cold air intake...of course this isnt gonna make you win any races, but it will give you a bit more oomf
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 10:46 AM   #16
oc civic

my opinion because it is unpopular is irrelevant i guess.. on a single cam.. the few boltons you are talking about will NOT make the car noticably faster.. it will just SOUND faster.. lol im not trying to piss you off.. just trying to be realistic
Old 03-28-2003, 12:54 PM   #17
JDMB16

not irrelevant, it's just that this guy obviously isn't ready for nitrous and doesn't want it either. It doesn't matter if it's a single cam or dual cam motor so I don't understand what you mean by that statement. Basic bolt ons won't make it that much more noticeable, no, but it WILL give it a little extra "oompf" as pdiggity stated. You say you're being realistic, but you're not because that's not what he wants...it's about what he wants, not you, but you're entitled to your opinion and your opinion does mean something
Old 03-28-2003, 06:46 PM   #18
kilo97civic

you might also think about an msd ignition...those are fairly easy to install...all you need is the 6al box, blaster pack, and the distributor....that seemed to help my car a little bit
Old 03-29-2003, 10:09 AM   #19
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by JDMB16
not irrelevant, it's just that this guy obviously isn't ready for nitrous and doesn't want it either. It doesn't matter if it's a single cam or dual cam motor so I don't understand what you mean by that statement. Basic bolt ons won't make it that much more noticeable, no, but it WILL give it a little extra "oompf" as pdiggity stated. You say you're being realistic, but you're not because that's not what he wants...it's about what he wants, not you, but you're entitled to your opinion and your opinion does mean something

will it really??? you think it will REALLY give it ANY "oompf"
i really think that is psycological.. on a HEAVY lx nonvtec 4 door.. i REALLY AND TRULLY believe intake and exhaust will make NO other differance other than THINKING its faster... NO oompf.. just noise...

and my statement was meanign that.. if we were talking about an H22 then or a k20 then i would HONESTLY agree that intake and exhaust CAN make a differance.. BUT NOT on a single cam LX.. that was my point... my point is hes askign an HONEST question.. how should i spend my money to make the car faster.. and my honest answer is not bolt ons.. lol i mean im NOT SAYING nitrous is his only option.. its NOT.. there are TONS of things that will make the car GO faster... a light recipe of boltons is NOT one of them...

BTW is this car manual or auto..
Old 03-29-2003, 11:23 AM   #20
nonovurbizniz

All cars (for that matter engines... if you put a k&n and open pipes on your tractor it's gunna put out more hp or at least rev easier) benifit from more airflow in and out...

There's no reason to sit here and bicker back and forth... an intake and exhaust WILL make your car faster... no not much but it WILL make your car faster... there are some aftermarket parts and bolt ons which reduce hp and I've seen it.... but overall... on ANY car opening up air inlet and outlets even a little helps the engine breath more freely... this frees up horsepower which is claimed by the car anyway... (manufacturers do crank hp readings usually running on open exhaust and tb...) once they bolt on the stock exhaust and air box and tranny that whp figure is like 40% less than the claimed hp... put the exhaust and intake on and now the whp is more like 30-35% of claimed...

Granted on a claimed 70hp engine your talking about 1-7 hp... It won't do much but it WILL be different...

If even for the fact that the engine can rev more freely you car WILL perform better than it did.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:33 AM   #21
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
It won't do much

this is TRUE..

we are NOT bickering.. i know FIRST hand that in the real world (judged by a REAL metering device.. ATCO raceway) that intake and exhaust will do virtualy NOTHING...

and NO im not talking about fell or responce.. im talking factual track times.. granted the referance im making is related to my track expieriance with a 4dr ex, and a dx coupe...

do you all realize that it CHANGES the power band when you open up exhaust.... ever look at a dyno chart.. of a STOCK honda single cam then a STOCK honda sohc with exhaust... he will probably lose 3 hp low end and gain 4 top end IF that..

exhaust does NOT ad 5 hp.. across the WHOLE band.. it increases PEEK hp... but not necisarrily across the WHOLE power band..