::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2002, 06:39 PM   #1
ASTS123

H22a swap

I'm looking to as much power out of my 99 ex sedan accord as i can. I just got into cars so i dont know much. I was looking at engines i could swap and it looks to me like the h22a is the best. If i put that into my accord what else could i do to make it proform better?
Old 10-16-2002, 07:04 PM   #2
Honda530

Yeah thats usually the engine most people put in their accords. It has ample power and torque to make any accord owner happy. Its pretty easy to install when you talk about engine swaps. www.hondamotorsonline.com has the motor and tranny for like 2500. Before you put it in your engine you might think about building it up a little. Like camshafts, valve, valve springs etc. If you have serious cash get a machine shop to port the head and do a 3 or 5 angle valve job. Youll get great gains from doing so. If you dont trust any machine shops near your try www.jgenginedynamcis.com There are very good at what they do. Also think about if you wanna supercharge it, turbocharge it or set up to run nitrous or stay n/a. This way you could go ahead and rebuild your bottom end while the engine is out. Rocker arms, pistons, and a resleeving would work wonders. Hope this helped you out.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:08 PM   #3
ASTS123

Yeah thanks, i think i want to turbo it or nitro it, what one would be better? And would getting bigger wheels help out pro. at all?
Old 10-17-2002, 12:17 AM   #4
ShEaNy

wheels = traction..is all that would do.....nice rims..not to heavy...stay away from chrome if ur looking to race ur car...
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 11:54 AM   #5
Honda530

Well I would turbo it rather than Nitrous it. Even though its more expensive I think the engine might lasst a little while longer and plus a turbo is jus freaking sweet. About the rims Id go get some rota slipstreams or rota subzeros. The slipstreams 16s weigh 13.5 and their 15s weigh 12lbs. Those would be hte best bet for rims. Now you have to ask yourself. Do I engine swap and turbo the h22a or turbo the engine you have. Your gonna get better gains with teh swap. So it all depends on how much money you have.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:54 PM   #6
Grip72

OK OK ALready..i don't even know what the h22a is? what car is it in stock etc? hp? torque...etc etc...????
Grip72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 02:23 PM   #7
Honda530

the H22a is hte Engine that comes in the prelude. They made a H23 too, but when your talking boosting the h22a is much better for boost. The USDM h22a has 190hp and 160 tq. I think might be wrong bought the tq. They actually put it in the accord a few years ago called the accord si. They sold only a few of them. Too bad they didnt wait. I think todays market would lvoe them.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:57 PM   #8
ASTS123

How high can i boost with turbo and how high could i go with Nytris? And are there any bigger rims like 17 or 18 that are good?
Old 10-17-2002, 07:11 PM   #9
Honda530

Well with boost and Nitrous it all depends on you fix up the engine. You can make it handle what you want. Im not too sure on how much though.
Yeah I belive they make some bigger rims.

http://machiii.net/machiii/html/Rota_wheels.html
here they have good prices
Old 10-17-2002, 07:27 PM   #10
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by Honda530
the H22a is hte Engine that comes in the prelude. They made a H23 too, but when your talking boosting the h22a is much better for boost. The USDM h22a has 190hp and 160 tq. I think might be wrong bought the tq. They actually put it in the accord a few years ago called the accord si. They sold only a few of them. Too bad they didnt wait. I think todays market would lvoe them.

yup the h22a is the prelude engine in japan. if u decide to swap the engine and keep the car registered better go find yourself a USDM engine. the jdm engines don't have the same emissions devices found in USDM. As for which one is better gor boost the h23 is the better choice: lowr compression ratio, non-vtec. sometimes you get a valve overlap with the h22 and if u plan to boost like crazy gotta get a vtec killer.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 08:56 PM   #11
ASTS123

thanks guys on more question, whats the dif. from a turbocharger and a supercharger?
Old 10-17-2002, 09:05 PM   #12
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

turbocharger- uses the exhaust gasses to spin a turbine and force the air into the engine.

supercharger- forces the air in tha engine with the help of a belt from the crankshaft pulley.

Old 10-17-2002, 09:06 PM   #13
ASTS123

So is one better than the other?
Old 10-17-2002, 09:09 PM   #14
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

it depends on the personal preferences. supercharger will be easier on the engine, but it is limited only to that much power, while the turbo will bea bit more agressive on the engine can make a lot more power with the turn of a dial.

Old 10-21-2002, 01:50 AM   #15
monkut

you can crank up the boost on a supercharger too and it really isn't safer on your engine if you have a turbo and super making the same type of power.
but with a supercharger the power is linear whereas with a turbo charger it grows exponentially. you can probably picture that seeing as how the turbo runs off of exhuast gases and the super is ran directly from the crank. so what this means is that with a turbo you may not have as much power down low but once the exhuast gases start spinning that turbine, watch out!
turbo=more peak hp
super=more consistent power.
(most honda dudes turbo)