::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Body Modifications
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2002, 08:33 PM   #1
custom rookie

HID vs. stock

Is HID systems really worth the money??? I know that you can run the bluer and purple lights with them. On another note does anyone have any suggestions for where to get the bluest headlights for a stock setup??? I cant seem to find any that are even close to blue, I have a 2002 civic that runs 60/55 W, that reminds me of another question can i run more wattage than that or is that as good as it gets???
sorry for all the different questions
and thank you
Old 09-30-2002, 09:49 PM   #2
spoogenet

If you have properly designed headlamps to accept an HID system, then I would definitely say HID is well worth the money. However since you have a headlamp assembly designed for halogen bulbs with filaments, I would strongly advise against an HID system in your car.

I say that because of a few reasons. One is that the brightest spot of the light from the arc of HID will not be in the proper place as compared to a filament halogen bulb. This causes your light output from the headlamps to vary potentially giving you less light on the road and more light where you don't want it, such as in the eyes of oncoming traffic. Also the headlamp assembly is designed for the specific spectral content of halogen bulbs, by changing that you change your effective light output and also the focusing of the beams. This is also a potential problem when you change bulb types to have a different spectral content. Changing bulb types to bluer bulbs usually won't impact other drives although it could influence your reflected light from the street. HIDs, however, can have a significant glare for other drivers. Another factor that HID systems that come stock have is auto-leveling. As far as I've seen so far this isn't conveniently available on any aftermarket kits, however it may be available. I certainly wouldn't recommend having HIDs without auto-leveling, mainly to avoid excessive glare in other drivers' eyes.

Anyhow, this represents my opinion and partially that of the NHTSA. There is no federal law preventing you from putting HIDs in your car, though.....

As for your other questions, I certainly can't provide any insight on them. I usually wouldn't recommend running higher wattage bulbs, but it may not really be a problem....better wait for a more qualified answer on that one.

b
Old 10-01-2002, 07:33 AM   #3
XdiscontensionX

http://www.geocities.com/blue99_si/hid.html

edit:

also try
http://www.autosupermart.com/forums/...hp?forum=2&489