User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2003, 04:58 PM   #1
LADAownzU

What are my options

this is my current engine

D16Y7- 1.6L SOHC non-VTEC- 98 Civic CX

my car is stick, lacks AC, power steering ( no power anything actualy) and sports shocks + rims/tires.

thats how the car was when i bought it ( or it was bought FOR me with MY money... o_0... ahh) anyway the lack of v-tec kinda bothers me, since i have a perfectly good VW 2.0 golf sitting in the drive way that can spin circles around this honda.

anyway the only mod i have done so far is taking off the resonator and intake pipe, o_0.

now what are my options in terms of head swaps and what not, should i keep my bottom end? i mean do bottem ends matter much when it comes to swaping, i know people here rave about B18C swaps, but i'm realistic and i simply dont have the funds to do a complelte engine swap.

i'm planning on going FI with this some time in the future so i want to keep my options open

so question number 1, in terms of head swaps, what should i be looking at? what car to tear it from? sohc or dohc? ( or tohc ^_^)

second question
forged internals + new head gaskets good idea? i mean if the engine is all open anyway i might as well get all these parts too right? so can i get some links in here please. I heard JE makes good honda stuff

third question
what about the ECU harness and the chip itself, would that have to be replaced to fit the new v-tec head?

and give me all the engine performance mods that i should/should not/think about get.

alright thanks alot,
Old 04-13-2003, 05:11 PM   #2
SSR

Actually, if you want just a head for this car check out www.dh-racing.com he makes the best heads around for these cars. Tell him Streetstyleracing sent you. But if you want more overall power we offer engine swaps for hondas at best prices around guaranteed. You can check out our site at www.streetstyleracing.com. Depends on if you want just a head or entire new engine/tranny.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:16 AM   #3
JDMB16

Let's see here...you can swap a VTEC head on your car but it's a real pain in the ass and not that reliable, it would be better just to get a complete motor D16Y8 (they aren't expensive at all) You can't swap any DOHC head on your block since your motor is SOHC in the first place. Forged internals would be a waste of money unless you are definitely going FI and yes, a new gasket would be a good idea if you're going FI (or double stack head gaskets to lower comp a little) With the wiring harness, you have to add a couple wires for VTEC solenoid, oil pressure sensor I believe and VTEC ground, you have to also drill a hole for the solenoid I believe and you have to use the ECU that came from the motor you got the head off of ex, if you got a head off a D16Z6, you would use the P28 ECU
Old 04-15-2003, 12:38 AM   #4
AzCivic

Swap on a SOHC Vtec head(D16Z6 or D16Y8, supposedly the Z6 head flows better though), and redo the internals if you want to run some good boost in the future. so you'll have new internals and new bearings so basically a new engine.

Look on www.thepartstrader.com , theres always someone selling a vtec head with all the other stuff you need.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:36 PM   #5
Shot 2 Hel

you cant do anything with a B18c head b/c they all all DOHC and i think it would be a bit of a pain in the ass to do all the stuff to get the VTEC working right, so i would just save up or go to a junkyard and find an engine with some low miles and put that in there
Old 05-07-2003, 06:43 PM   #6
slowEJ6

i wouldnt bother boosting that non-vtec pos the money invested wont impress.

either do a D16Y8 or Y5 swap and boost it.....or do a DOHC swap.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote