.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > My Car is Broken!
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2002, 04:16 PM   #1
untainted

1997 honda civic lowsey idle

I've been having this same problem for months now i know probably no one will know but anything is worth a shot. So everytime i stop and car is idling or if i rev it up to 3100 where my vtec kicks in my exhaust pops and the check engine light will come on for a few days. ive tried plugs , wires , cap , rotor , o2, map sensor( came up on diag. ) uhmm there is an enless possibility of what it could be but if u have a friend that had this or know whats possibly wrong hola at me .. sorry if this is confusing ...
Old 09-04-2002, 08:45 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

that's a weird one. shouldn't the vtec come in later in the 4500-5000rpm range ? the pop is most likely a backfire, so one of the plugs must be shot, or something in the ignition. the CEL might be one because of the knock

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 09:53 PM   #3
untainted

Well the backfire is like what it does it kinda sound like the timing is off so i checked it and the timing belt.. fine.. and as for something in the ignition i dont know plugs are fine ( new , wires also cap also and rotor) .. ignition cel is like a fuse ?
Old 09-04-2002, 09:55 PM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

no CEL is Check Engine Light.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 01:17 PM   #5
untainted

well i have a vtec controller , aem cai, tanabe catback, dc sport 2 piece header , msd box (unhooked now along with no header on car ) and nology wires, my car was tuned at dyno pushing a good amount of hp but after a month or 2 my external coil fell off and it ran like this , so im thinking its an eletrical problem just wanna know where before i spend alotta money , diag. computer reads malfunction map so i replaced map sensor from honda part cost me 300 bucks and it didnt work . any ideas... thanx for trying to help
Old 09-05-2002, 01:39 PM   #6
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

umm, strange ..

maybe you should check the compression of each cylinder.. And if something shows, well at least you'll know in which area the problem is..
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote