.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > My Car is Broken!
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2003, 04:31 PM   #1
KiilerB-16

Some question to help with my warranty claim...

first off, let me apologize for the extended nature of this post, but please bear with me as it is a pretty critical and time-sensitive issue...

i recently had my gearbox crap out on my '00 Si. The basic rundown is as follows: after i started the car i tried to get into reverse, and it wasn't happening....felt like the gear just wasn't there, so i tried to go into first, it went into gear, but by the response i was getting, it felt more like it was in third gear. the gearbox in general feels really slushy and out of place.

OK, so that covers the cars problem, here's mine: Honda is denying warranty coverage (the car is at 46K w/ a 60K warranty that doesn't expire for 18 months) because of the modifications on my car. However, the performance modifications are limited to CAI, Header, Cat-back exhaust and some plugs plug wires. suspension mods too, but i can't see those as an issue at all. now i'm relatively familiar with magnuson-moss and all, and honda is trying to deny the claim based on the assertation that "the added horsepower due to mods adds an additional burden to all the cars mechanical parts that can lead to premature failure." which i know is a load of crap. i know that, under magnuson-moss, they have the burden of proving that my mods directly caused the breakdown. and i know that even with the mods the engine itself is doubtedly making any more than maybe 195 at the flywheel. i'm sure honda will be able to get one of there techs to sign an affidavit saying that they feel the mods put too much hp strain on the tranny. realistically that tranny can handle a hell of a lot more, and i can probably find a tech somewhere to verify that. my questions them i guess, are
A) how likely is it that the added power could have added enough of a burden for this problem to arise, and
B)does the 00 Si share a tranny model with any of the higher output b series engines such as the b16c's or even the b18 engines? i think that is it does, that would pretty much blow honda's arguement right out of the water. i dunno.

anyhow, thats a rundown of the situation. any general advise, or prior experience with something liek this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:23 PM   #2
VR4_Craver
Banned

I wouldnt try to press this because all they have to do is say that they went over the warranty guidelines with you. Thats what they did when i bought my 02 si. Anything that is not factory will void warrenties. My new filter voided my engine warranty. My exhaust voided that warranty my new stereo voided that one.although i would press it because i know a guy with a car just like mine same color year and everthing. that honda has replaced his clutch motor and brakes under warranty. and that car is a little over a year old. He almost had it done again but a honda tech was at the local track and saw him running his car went back and told his boss and they voided all his warranties. As for the power ? i think that the older si's had the B16's didnt they?
the geekz0r (11:03:46 PM): basicly, look at it this way...the 6speed is the same is the 5speed in 2,3,4,5,and 6...only the speeds are different because of the fd
the geekz0r (11:04:16 PM): so 2nd pulls like 1st in the 5speed, 3rd is like 2nd, etc.
PortugeeTex (11:04:26 PM): so whats 1st like then?
the geekz0r (11:04:49 PM): 1st is like hitting a cheeta in the ass with a tazer
PortugeeTex (11:04:53 PM): lmfao
VR4_Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 12:09 AM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

it's really hard to say. if the dealer wants to give you crap they can give you crap, no doubt about it. i would take it to honda motor company tho, not just the local dealer.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 12:12 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by VR4_Craver
My new filter voided my engine warranty.

that's a crap load of bullshit. it's illegal to void a warrany for not using non-oem parts (that's if you still have the box), plus the air filter is a consumable product and needs to be replaced every 15k miles. so if honda tells you it voided your warranty tell them to shove it up their asses and do some research first

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 01:44 PM   #5
KiilerB-16

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
it's really hard to say. if the dealer wants to give you crap they can give you crap, no doubt about it. i would take it to honda motor company tho, not just the local dealer.

I've actually spoken to honda care, and it was their rep who came down to look at the car and decide to void the warranty....

what i'm hoping i can do is prove to them that the tranny can handle the higher engine output...which is why it would be nice if it turned out my car shared a tranny with like the gsr's or something.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:24 AM   #6
AkimboStylee

do you have all the original parts, if so put them back on and get the car fixed
Old 01-07-2004, 02:18 PM   #7
KiilerB-16

unfortunately the honda care rep already looked at the car, so they know about the mods. my problem is the mods alone shouldn't void the warranty, so i've gotta fight em on that angle.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:24 AM   #8
AkimboStylee

yeah but if you put them back on, and they tell you the warrenty is void, then i think you have a better chance of winning your case
Old 01-08-2004, 05:23 AM   #9
silver

i don't know how honda can prove that a motor that is making around 150 to the wheels could cause premature failure of the tranny. did the tech diagnose what the problem was? if it is your clutch for example, forget it, that is a normal wear part. but anything else should be covered under your drivetrain warranty regardless of performance mods. it's not like you put a turbo on there or anything. there is no way for you to prove what a tranny can handle in the argument you are trying to make because they stated "premature failure", which of course means failure before normal, how they determine when it should fail is the problem. i recommend going onto the sema website www.sema.org and checking for more info, i think they have warranty attorneys on their as well or at least info. you have a legitimate claim and they should not deny you service. i'd call honda right back and start bitching constantly. and forget about the dealership, they don't have to do anything they don't want to.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 07:08 PM   #10
KiilerB-16

i'll check out that sema link....so far we have no clue what the problem is....the car is sitting at the dealership right now and i've told them not to touch it until i get sh*t straightened out with the warranty. i've got about 30 days yet to go into arbitration with honda, and unfortunately it looks like that's the only way to resolve it, though i hate having to pay a lawyer for all this. my calls haven't been doing a whole lot of good though, so no other choice i guess.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:36 AM   #11
silver

i don't think you have to pay for the lawyer in claims such as this, but rather the automaker does, but i may be confusing that with lemon law arbitration.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 09:23 PM   #12
wandl

would it be worth it to remove all the aftermarket parts to install the oem ones...get the repair then then reinstall it?>
Old 01-24-2004, 10:51 PM   #13
4drmadness

well from what I had come to understand is that the only way the aftermarket product could void the warranty would be if it was the direct "CAUSE" of the problem/issue you were having...
Also here is a link to some info that AEM has posted on there site in relation to warranties..
http://www.aempower.com/faq.asp?fid=23&sid=4&tid=

good luck though...
Old 02-17-2004, 11:23 AM   #14
Vegasguy80

This is ridiculous. At the Honda Dealers here in Vegas, they sell exhaust, headers and catbacks for the cars. So how are they going to say the extra HP hurt the gearbox. That is B.S. and I would fight them on it. Those few mods don't add enough HP to do any damage.

Dont remove the AM parts because then they will say you switched it and still void it. Just fight it. I think you can win this. That is ridiculous.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:38 AM   #15
turbowhat_n_dat

man, I'm a little late for this post, but, if you havent found the cure to the bull shit Honda ppl look at this. This is for all the rest of you who have any problems as well in the future.

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm