.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > My Car is Broken!
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2003, 08:35 PM   #1
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

aw crap...what now...

pretty vague title eh? I thought so...

anyways...my civic vibrates when i brake...pretty bad, the whole car shakes and the wheel jerks around a tiny bit too...oh and the brake pedal is pulsing too. It doesnt lose control or anything like that and I just had it in and they said there wasnt any safety issues...but they failed to tell me the cause of the pulsing brake (It did this before I took it in too...)

See the car used to do it @ high speeds because 1 wheel is different than the other 3 (same style but purchased @ a different time...dont ask me why i bought it w/ these crappy wheels). So that 1 wheel didnt have a centering ring on it and that was the cause of the vibrating on the highway...so they moved it from the front to the back so it wouldnt be so bad and I went on my way to getting a new ring. On the way to Discount Tire (gotta use the highway) I noticed that the car didnt shake anymore and I was really happy...then I used the brakes to get off on my exit and it starting shaking...bad... Long story short I got the ring and it still does it... This has been an ongoing problem its nothing new.

Anyone?
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 08:44 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

warped brake rotors

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 08:54 PM   #3
pdiggitydogg

really...sweet...thats not that bad...I'll buy em w/ my tax refund. I did suspect the rotors...Ill take it to another shop to get em checked for that too
Old 01-30-2003, 10:24 PM   #4
armyguy5
3rd Gear

u can just have them latehed so they wont do that anymore...any brake shop will do it so long as it wont take them outta spec

chris
  • Cold Air Intake, Front Strut Bar, MTX Thunder 6000 10", Gunmetal Altezza Tail Lights, Short Throw Shifter, Factory Side Skirts and Rear lip, JDM front Lip, Thermal R&D stealth exhaust, 16" Rota Slipstreams in Bronze, Alpine CD/MP3/WMA/XM RADIO, Legacy L7M in car video
armyguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 12:26 PM   #5
spoogenet

The big problem with turning the rotors is that there isn't much room to work with before they go out of spec. It's one thing to turn them when you get new pads, another to turn them to take out warpage.

Using your brakes at high speeds for any length of time (~60-65+) will warp the rotors quick. Also running hot rotors through nice cold puddles of water will warp them pretty easily.

If the pedal pulses then it's probably pretty bad, but I always tend to have a little warpage in my rotors....not a big deal unless your braking efficiency goes down.

b
Old 02-01-2003, 02:01 PM   #6
Kyle
elyK

I have the same problem with my 89 accord...but i'm not gonna waste my money on this POS

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 09:28 AM   #7
blind34_1

I have the same prob, along with ball joints goin out and virtually NO suspension. yeah my cars REAL fun to drive
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 03:23 PM   #8
Azkikr111

yeah, running hondas to the ground is real fun
Old 02-04-2003, 03:59 PM   #9
pdiggitydogg

well im gonna buy the new power stop cross drilled slotted rotors when the tax return arrives...that will solve my problem
Old 02-05-2003, 01:06 PM   #10
spoogenet

A big brake kit, or the same size?

I wouldn't claim that it'll stop your problem either way. My bro had more problems with his rotors warping after putting a big brake kit on his than he did before. On the positive side, though, his braking greatly improved with the new rotors.

b
Old 02-08-2003, 01:02 AM   #11
tooslow91crx

i feel dumb for having to ask, but does the ex have rear disks or drums? if you've been out braking hard and having fun and stuff, and your brakes are really hot, you can warp them when you stop. if they're super hot and you stop and hold the pad against them for any length of time, different areas will cool at different rates, and that can warp rotors. using the parking brake on really hot back rotors is especially bad. just a thought that might help you out a little
Old 02-10-2003, 01:43 PM   #12
spoogenet

EX Accord has 4 wheel disc. I believe Civics are all rear drum except for the Si.

b
Old 02-11-2003, 09:43 AM   #13
pdiggitydogg

im gettin the regular sized ones...i dont need that much stopping power
Old 02-27-2003, 09:15 AM   #14
stellardude

My car does that too, and i'm going to be buying new ones real soon. According to my mechanic, he said its better to hit the brakes hard, rather than slowly rolling to a stop, because the friction causes heat to build and when you go to use them again, it warps them.
Although stopping really quick can't be good either, so yeah i don't know. What are your opinions about this?