::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2003, 05:08 AM   #1
jeq214

squeeling noise

Ok, I know I found this post somewhere, but I couldn't find it so anyways I have a weird high pitched squeeling noise coming from somewhere, I think its in my engine. I hear it mostly when I'm in first gear. What is it and how can i fix it? I heard it had something to do with my alternator? Am I right? C'mon professional sound gurus, I need help!
Old 01-05-2003, 09:24 AM   #2
Afroney

Hmm... Theres a lot of things...

First of all check the condition of all your belts, (Fan belts, a/c belts, If they look worn or cracked, replace them. If they do not look worn spray some belt dressing on them, that sometimes helps. Also the bearings that run the belts could be worn too. The alternator would be my second guess, the bearings in those can make noise, and usually requre replacement for the noise to stop. Also check the condition of your power steering fluid and belts, if the fluid smells burnt and looks like a dark brown color change it. Like I said, squealing can be alot of things but its most likely the belts.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:18 AM   #3
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

even though I will agree that a squeal is a sound, this does not belong in the sound systems forum....lol

Moving........

Quote:
Originally posted by IALuder
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:
Originally posted by MissJDM
Darin, please confirm that you don't like the cock!

HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #7
Anna Fan Club Member #1
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 07:33 PM   #4
jeq214

I didn't get the sound until I had my subwoofer, my amp and my alarm installed. I may have to check those belts and fluids though...
Old 01-06-2003, 07:38 PM   #5
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

Quote:
Originally posted by jeq214
I didn't get the sound until I had my subwoofer, my amp and my alarm installed. I may have to check those belts and fluids though...

LMAO...dude, if it didn't happen until you installed your system, that a good indicator of what it is...you either have a bad ground or cheap RCAs that aren't double-shielded...that's what's causing your "squeal".....

Moving back to sound systems........

Quote:
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:

Anna Fan Club Member #1
Old 01-06-2003, 08:03 PM   #6
jeq214

oh ok, gotta check them both. That's strange. Had it professionally installed, but I think I got ripped off cuz he used my previous wiring that I did a year ago that was bought from EBAY!! I'll never do that again. Charged me 75, too and to make matters worse my power wire and ground wire were 10 gauges. I was pissed cuz I told him to replace the wires to 4 g. My kicker sounds good though even if there are only 75 watts going to each coil. I've got a jbl bp 600.1 that only puts out 300w rms, do u think i could pump out more cuz i don't think he paralleled the wires either.
Old 01-06-2003, 08:23 PM   #7
jeq214

Oh and I also ran the rca wires along the right side of my car with the power, I heard that was bad too, could that help with the squeeling?
Old 01-06-2003, 10:08 PM   #8
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

Quote:
Oh and I also ran the rca wires along the right side of my car with the power, I heard that was bad too, could that help with the squeeling?

that'll do it...

Quote:
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:

Anna Fan Club Member #1
Old 01-07-2003, 07:49 PM   #9
jeq214

so do u think i could still pump out more power though with the amp I have?
Old 01-07-2003, 08:01 PM   #10
Rob
Stefan's A Sheep Fucker

Quote:
so do u think i could still pump out more power though with the amp I have?

what do you mean? If you put in a cap, that'll supply a more consistent power supply to your amp so it will work more efficiently and put out more power if that's whay you mean....

Quote:
thats why i use a sock.

Quote:

Anna Fan Club Member #1
Old 01-07-2003, 08:08 PM   #11
pauls-si

Re: squeeling noise

Quote:
Ok, I know I found this post somewhere, but I couldn't find it so anyways I have a weird high pitched squeeling noise coming from somewhere, I think its in my engine. I hear it mostly when I'm in first gear. What is it and how can i fix it? I heard it had something to do with my alternator? Am I right? C'mon professional sound gurus, I need help!

Does the noise go up and down with the rpm of the engine? If it does you probably need a ground loop isolator for the RCAs and check your grounds.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:38 AM   #12
jeq214

Yeah that's exactly what it does! I went back to the installer, but he told me that it was my alternator and that he could put a noise compression to stop it. I don't know if he's reliable anymore.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:41 AM   #13
jeq214

Quote:
Originally posted by AccordinStyle
what do you mean? If you put in a cap, that'll supply a more consistent power supply to your amp so it will work more efficiently and put out more power if that's whay you mean....

Well if my amp is currently putting out 250-300 w rms and it's rated at 300rms wouldn't I be able to get more power out of it by replacing the 10 gauge wires with 4 gauge and also paralleling the wires to 1 ohm without blowing the amp?
Old 01-09-2003, 03:04 AM   #14
Dr Drew

Quote:
Well if my amp is currently putting out 250-300 w rms and it's rated at 300rms wouldn't I be able to get more power out of it by replacing the 10 gauge wires with 4 gauge and also paralleling the wires to 1 ohm without blowing the amp?

I'm assuming the amp is running two ohm stereo... Most amps are not stable at one ohm mono.

Quote:
Yeah that's exactly what it does! I went back to the installer, but he told me that it was my alternator and that he could put a noise compression to stop it. I don't know if he's reliable anymore.

First off move you power wire away from your RCA cables.

The 10awg wire could be part of the problem also. A few things happen when you run a lot of current through a wire that is too thin. Any time you run current through a wire an electromagnetic field is created around the wire. The more resistance of current flow the larger and stronger the field. If your RCA cables are within that field it current from the field will be transfered to the RCA cables. If you have a good set of cables (like stated above) they are double sheilded from current transfer.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:52 PM   #15
jeq214

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Drew
I'm assuming the amp is running two ohm stereo... Most amps are not stable at one ohm mono.

..so i'm guessing i have to get a higher wattage amp then, right?

First off move you power wire away from your RCA cables.

The 10awg wire could be part of the problem also. A few things happen when you run a lot of current through a wire that is too thin. Any time you run current through a wire an electromagnetic field is created around the wire. The more resistance of current flow the larger and stronger the field. If your RCA cables are within that field it current from the field will be transfered to the RCA cables. If you have a good set of cables (like stated above) they are double sheilded from current transfer.

Thanks!!