::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2002, 04:42 PM   #1
DrumminBoy

Electronic Problems

(This is also posted in 12v and Security)

I've been having a lot of problems with the electronics in my car lately. After installing new Infinity 6 1/2's up front on friday, my clock has been really dim, and it wont save the time any more. It resets itself back to 1:00 everytime i turn the car off, and it flashes when i have my turn signal on. Also, we re-wired my cd player, and it worked at first, but now it wont turn on at all. Later on friday night, my dash lights went completely out, but they work fine now. I've checked all the fuses, and i noticed that my cd player and my cig lighter share a fuse. Does this mean they are on the same circuit? I'm curious because if the lighter is getting power, shouldnt the cd player also? I only have 3 wires from the cd player that are connected to the stock wiring harness: The 12v Ignition wire, the 12v battery wire, and the ground. I'm not worrying about the speakers right now. Oh, and I just bought a new battery last thursday.

So heres the summary:
- Clock is very dim, and resets when car shuts off
- No Power to CD Player

Any help would be awesome.
Old 12-30-2002, 12:02 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

why didn't you use a harness ? there also should be a yellow or orange wire for the memory on the cdplayer and clock. if that is connected with the red or blue wire you got yourself a nice blown system. i'm sure brandon will help you out more if i move this thread.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 02:32 AM   #3
DrumminBoy

I didnt use a harness because i only need 3 of the wires. I downloaded my wiring chart from installdr and im sure i have it right. The only 3 im using are the 12v Ignition (Red to Red), 12v Battery (Orange to Orange), and the ground (Black to Black). If the cd player is blown i dont have a problem with that, its a kenwood that i bought off my friend for $40. I just need to figure out whether its a problem with the cd player, or a problem with the electronics in my car. The clock stumps me also. I dont know why it would reset itself everytime i turn my car off. I had autozone check my alternator today just incase that had anything to do with it, but it was fine, and i just got a new battery a few days ago. Any ideas Brandon?
Old 12-30-2002, 03:18 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

look up the backup fuse fuse. i know it does the same thing on my car when it blows

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 03:57 AM   #5
DrumminBoy

how do i go about doing that?
Old 12-30-2002, 05:08 PM   #6
BrandonClaps

u've your your memory wire on a ignition 12v thats whats causing the clock to mess up
sounds like u got a wire grounding out....
u've got an electrical nightmare on your hands ;x
Old 12-30-2002, 08:10 PM   #7
DrumminBoy

I went to auto zone and Advance Auto Parts tonight and talked to the guys there about it. The guy at auto zone wasnt much help, but i did borrow their voltometer thingy to test my wiring and sure enough it was getting power. I was stumped at that point why the cd player still wouldnt turn on if the power was working and teh ground was good, so i went to advance auto parts and talked to a guy there that knew what he was talking about. He had me hook up the cd player to the battery to make sure it was good. I told him i had tried it before but he told me to connect the igntion wire and the 12v wires together and then put the ground on. I didnt htink it would make a difference, but the cd player turned on. So i know that its a problem with the constant 12v flow. After a little tinkering i also figured out that the clock and the 12v flow into the battery go together, so i just hooked them both up to the 12v ignition wire for now, and everything is working. So heres my last question: Would i be able to run a regular wire from my positive battery terminal inside the car and have that as my constant 12v flow? Sorry for such a long post! thanks for the help guys
Old 01-01-2003, 02:00 AM   #8
BrandonClaps

yes u would, but u will have u manually turn off your cd player everytime u get outta the car because it will continue to play since it's always getting 12v

normally a cd player gets 12v constant for it's memory wire this always has 12v so the radio settings and clock stay the same.

then you've got 12v ignition power that when u turn the car on the cd player will come on.

edit: took me awhile to find one of my old posts... check this

http://www.hondastyle.com/forums/sho...&threadid=2023
Old 01-01-2003, 02:14 PM   #9
DrumminBoy

I went ahead and ran a wire from my battery inside my car, and everything is perfect now. I connected that wire, the stock battery wire, and the constant 12v wire from my cd player all together, and it fixed everything. The clock works fine now because it wasnt getting power from the battery before, and the cd player works just like usual. Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:05 PM   #10
tooslow91crx

please tell me you put a fuse in that 12V mem you ran from the battery... you can buy the fuse holder at radio shack, and a 10 or 15A fuse should take care of the current draw. that's a long wire with a lot of opportunity for shorts (possible fires)
Old 01-11-2003, 12:23 PM   #11
Greasemonkey75

Why don't you wire it correctly and not rig it?
The back-up fuse in the under hood box is blown, among other fuses I'm sure.
Have you ever seen a car-b-q? HAHA I guess you will, BTW the only way to stop an electrical fire is to disconnect the batt. before it gets outta hand.