.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > My Car is Broken!
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2002, 06:20 PM   #1
snowfire79

mystery water in floorboard?????

in the driver side floorboard, front seat only, i have been finding the floorboard really wet. its not so bad that there is standing water though. it only seems to happen when it rains, but i cant find a leak or any evidence of a leak from anywhere around the doors or windshield. someone said it may be a hose backed up somewhere????? any help or any ideas are greatly appreciated. thanks!
Old 10-10-2002, 06:36 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

maybe the water is coming from your shoes. the windshields are usually associated to this problem. it is the first time i hear of it so i don't know of any fixes yet. i'll keep an eye on it and if i find something i'll let you know

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 07:15 PM   #3
snowfire79

not coming from the shoes i know because its too much water. i'm not sure if its coming from something under the carpet????? or what, but this morning on my way to work i had on my birkenstock slip on shoes....which leave a portion of my foot exposed.... and i felt a drip of water hit my right foot. i'm guessing it dripped from the plastic above it, but not sure. i did look under the dash just to see if anything stood out, but i didnt notice anything. thanks though, and please do let me know if u hear anything.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:38 PM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

just looking under the dash won't solve anything. close all the windows and have sombody hose the car with plenty of water, and at the same time you look under the dash, and see if it's dripping from there.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 10:16 PM   #5
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

the drain plug has probably come off..

look under your car (roughly at front edge of seat, towards the outside of car) for a round hole.. theres a rubber plug thats supposed to be there.. if not, theres the prob..
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 04:22 PM   #6
snowfire79

hey , thanks for the ideas, gonna try both.....also read somewhere that the sunroof drain plugs may be backed up, forcing the water to go elsewhere. where abouts are the sunroof drainplugs?? thanks for all the input though!!!!
Old 10-11-2002, 04:26 PM   #7
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

not likely..
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 05:07 PM   #8
NewLude

only thought I have about this, is having seen someoen with a station wagon.. (I know I know.. just bear with me) who had a roll down back window. the person's kid had gotten some paper in the slot when the window was down somehow... and after a bit.. the guy was noticing "swish swashing" sounds from what sounded like his floorboards.

long and short.. drain plug was clogged.. and mechanic took a chisel to the drain plug area... FWOOOOOOOOOOOSH.. about 10 gallons of water came pouring out.

so .. check around the sunroof might be good.. find out if there is a break in the seal somewhere that might be letting water in first.. that it could be traveling down the side wall or something.. and take a look on the front drain "under" the winshield... i.e. where the water comes off the winshield onto the hood.. see if there is any blockage in there (easily caused by parking under trees etc).

just my thoughts.

NewL
Old 11-07-2002, 02:49 PM   #9
snowfire79

assuming a drain is plugged, what would be a safe way to clear it out? someone told me to pour a little clorox down the drain plug. that sounded a little iffy to me, please let me know the best way to clear the drains are please, oh and if there is somewhere that shows the pictures of where the drain plugs are located underneath the car, please tell me where to look. thanks!!!
Old 12-03-2002, 11:16 PM   #10
Greasemonkey75

You could very well have a drain plugged in the sunroof system. I have personnally seen this alot especially around this time of the year. Do NOT pour bleach down the drains, if it is clogged it will get into your car.....not good. The other option is the evaporator housing under the dash for your A/C system has a drain hose, that could be clogged. If it were the water would come out the foot well vent openings under the dash.
So how do I test for this? OK, for the sunroof test, open the roof, look inside and you will see the tracks the glass slides on(a alumin. color) and to the outside of that between the body and the slides is the sunroor tray. That is where you will slowly pour the water. Jack up the front or back of the car, or park on a steep hill, pour the water(no bleach please) into the tray, it should come out the body in the rear on either side of the trunk, and in the front just behind the front tire. It should come out at an even rate. My guess is it will trickle. You will then need to clear them. lol
The A/C hose you can have a shop lightly blow compressed air into the hose if water comes out then it was clogged. I do this at no charge. Let us know what you find.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:23 PM   #11
snowfire79

thanks for the help, its hell keeping a box or two of baking soda in the trunk and a roll of quarters and a few towels in the car just for this problem. oh yeah, and the febreeze, gotta have that too. i also recently noticed what may be the problem. looks like some fool before me tried to drill through the firewall and missed the engine compartment. i found this when i finally took out the carpet more or less. behind the foam lining behind the pedals, i found a hole not quite as big as a dime. i saw it was black through the hole and went and looked in the wheel well, and sure enough, way back there was a small hole. i'm gonna seal it soon as i get a day off work with silicone or something. but i'm gonna check out that ac hose thing too, cause once i know i felt a drop or two of water fall onto my foot from under the dash. thanks for the help. oh, by the way, the clorox thing kinda scared me too, never tried that one.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:03 PM   #12
rtperformance

leak

I didnt feel like reading everyones reply so not sure if anyone touched on this yet but did you make sure your wiper cowl isnt plugged up with debris I ve seen this alot?