.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > My Car is Broken!
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2002, 08:05 PM   #1
spoogenet

6th gen Accord ('01) manual tranny

Ok, this should reall be in the "Is my car broken" forum.....here goes.

I will begin by stating that this issue is most apparent when the car is cold, the engine may be at normal operating temperature, but the car hasn't really been driven much, thus everything else isn't warmed up yet. Like...within the first few miles of starting it.

I've done a little bit of testing to isolate the issue, and here's what I've done/come up with.

Case 1: Car is parked, engine is off. Shifting through gears feels normal.

Case 2: Car is parked, engine running. Shifting through gears feels normal.

Case 3: Car is moving, engine running. Shifting through gears feels as though the clutch isn't fully engaged (assuming engaged means pedal is on the floor, correct my terminology if necessary). I feel it mostly in 1->2 and 2->3. When leaving the gear that it is currently in, it feels as though the gear grinds ever so slightly, but I don't really notice it when entering the new gear. I'm not sure if I really hear it or not since my hearing is linked to my feeling and preconceived notions, if ya know what I mean. If I let the car continue rolling and I shift it into gear very slowly, slowly meaning take about 10 seconds to get all the way from neutral into gear, the gear will grind, regardless of the gear I enter. This does not happen in Case 2. When the engine is fully warm and so is everything else, like after driving around for some time during the day, this isn't nearly as apparent, but I still feel as though I feel it....could be that paranoia again.

When I first got the car I didn't notice this, I've only put a little more than 1k on it since I got it, meaning the car has about 9k on it. I'm still in the paranoid phase that I bought a lemon......in case you hadn't noticed yet.

Now, I also tested this in my '88 Volvo that I usually drive to work. I noticed that while rolling with the engine running, if I shifted really slowly while entering the next gear, it would grind. However I don't in any way feel any grinding of any sort under normal shifting conditions.

So.....here are the questions:
1. Does any of this sound like it's just how a manual works? If so, please explain.
2. Does it sound like my car's broke? If so, please explain.
3. Did you read the whole post? If so, please eplain.

Sorry it's so long....

b
Old 05-25-2002, 09:58 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

dude i'm not sure but my old subaru used to do that too. the toiyota that i had before did that too, but i haven't had a manual in years

yes i read the whole post, but what do u want me to explain ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 11:14 PM   #3
spoogenet

Did it exhibit all the symptoms? I'm not so worried about the grinding when granny shifting, since I have duplicated it with my Volvo.

But the feeling of a slight grind during 1->2 and 2->3 shifting when the car isn't warmed up yet....I've never noticed that on another car, but it's not to say the issue wasn't present.

I also failed to mention that, again mostly when the car is cold, when starting off on a slight hill it feels as though my clutch slips a little. This isn't nearly as apparent when things are warmed up.

No need to explain why you read the whole post....it shoulda read "If not, please explain"....

b
Old 05-26-2002, 01:05 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

yeah i got the grind before the clutch on the scoob went bye bye. maybe it's your clutch that needs some adjustament, but don't do it yourself, cause you'll burn it faster. take it to a pro to have it adjusted.

Old 05-26-2002, 01:30 AM   #5
Maxvla

i plead the 3rd.

sounds like a trip to the dealer with warranty in hand is in need.
Old 05-26-2002, 06:28 PM   #6
spoogenet

*sigh* just what I was afraid of....

b
Old 05-27-2002, 09:56 PM   #7
spoogenet

Just to recap, before I call the dealer.

The grind during granny shift is normal for a manual.

The slight grind in 1->2 and 2->3 is not normal, and should be fixed. This is something you think can be done with an adjustment, not a whole new clutch? Is it a simple enough adjustment that it doesn't require much diassembly of the vehicle? I ask not because I will do it myself, but just to get an idea in advance of how long it'll take them, etc.

b
Old 05-28-2002, 09:03 AM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

yep the grind is not normal, and the dealer shouldn't take more than 2 hours to fix. the adjustament cable shoulod be on the outside of the tranny for easy acces.

Old 06-03-2002, 12:35 PM   #9
spoogenet

Took her to the dealership F to have them take a look.....as is always the case when a mechanic looks at the car, she was on good behavior.....despite that it still felt as though it was raking the gears.

So I dropper her off and had them look at her. They call me back and tell me that it feels normal to them and they didn't feel any difference between rolling and not rolling.....I find that hard to believe, or maybe their hands just aren't as sensitive as mine. So I ask them some other questions, such as could there be air in the hydraulic system for the clutch, and they say definitely not or else my problem wouldn't be intermittent.......my problem isn't intermittent, it's only MORE noticeable when the car's cold, but always noticeable.

But he was set on it being intermittent.....so I gave him the exact process that I can go through to always produce what I feel, and asked if they'd try it again. He said no prob. They call me back later, still think it feels like all the other ones they've drive.

I dunno, I'm still convinced it's not normal, especially considering all my other friends with manuals don't experience the same feelings in their transmissions....but I guess BMW and Audi make different trannies than Honda. And they won't let me drive their rides.....

So, I dunno whether to believe them yet or whether to think they're jacking me since it's warranty work....I think I'm gonna go test drive another used one at one of the lots when I find a used '01 LX and see if I notice it in that one. Maybe it's just how the transmission is for the '01 or so and it is normal....or maybe they're jacking me.

I don't know that it definitely is raking, but I think I need more convincing that it's normal.

b