.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > My Car is Broken!
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2002, 09:19 AM   #1
Triggedy

Will not start

FOR THE LOVE OF...

So, I've had my car sitting for about a month without starting it, and I think this is how it repays me.

The starter engages, turns over np, but the thing just will not start. No malfunction indicator lamp codes, battery is in great shape, I get a spark from my plugs.

I changed the plug wires a bit ago, and the firing order is 1-3-4-2 if I'm not mistaken...starting at the 3 o'clock position on the distributor and moving in a clockwise direction.

Could the fuel foul in this short a period? And if so, what do I do to get rid of it? Gas line water remover or what to do?!

Bleh, this is crap and it's pissin me to hell.

Thank you for your help.
Old 04-16-2002, 04:31 PM   #2
slowEJ6

doubt its the fuel, my car had the same fuel in it for 3 months after my accident till i got it fixed.....hows yer alternator? does it make any abnormal sounds when yer trying to start? where exactly has your car been sitting for a month? (what conditions)
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 08:56 PM   #3
Triggedy

I thought the alternator was just in charge (no pun) of charging the battery? My battery is in great shape, the car turns over without a hickup...it just won't start. I had the charging system checked about 2 months ago by my local Honda dealer, so you'd think it'd still be in good shape. I've never listened to a honda crank and crank and crank without starting, so I don't know if it's making any goofy sounds :( Sorry. The car has been sitting outside for the time, periodic rain, on a grass surface.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:54 PM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

do u hear the gas pump running when you put the key in the on position ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 02:19 AM   #5
Triggedy

Sure do. Turn the key to "ON" it pumps for 2 seconds and then clicks off. You know what, it may have been the alternator...I had some whirring (light, but noticeable) coming from the engine bay when I was accelerating...couldn't hear it at an idle or while cruising. If the battery still has a charge to it, could you tell my why a faulty alternator would prevent the car from starting, or would it?! But yes the fuel pump primes when key is in "ON" position.
Old 04-17-2002, 08:34 AM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i don't think the alternator would have prevented your car from starting.

Old 04-18-2002, 11:16 AM   #7
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

hey triggedy, someone who can't post emailed me with this

Hi, I just registered at Honda style and can't post.
I have info for Triggedy in "Help my car won't start".
Just heve them hold the gas pedal to the floor and
crank the car continuously. It may sound like it is
trying to start then it won't, but just keep cranking.
It may take upp to 2 min of cranking but just dont stop.
When it starts it will smoke for a min but thats normal.
If they have access to a battery charger have them hook
it up first. This will work if the have spark and fuel. I seen it
many times. A car(honda) sits for a long while and won't start.
Just remember to hold the gas pedal down all the way and crank.

Old 04-18-2002, 12:04 PM   #8
Triggedy

Yikes! Should I do this if my Cat is clogged?! That's what I'm leaning towards right at the moment.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:54 PM   #9
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

what makes you think your cat is clogged ?

the cat won't clog unless you have engine oil going in the exhaust and that is bad. you might need new rings or pistons to fix it.

Old 04-18-2002, 05:48 PM   #10
Triggedy

I'm thinking it's clogged because we've got a bit of a bee (buzzzz) around our house. When I went to start the car, there wer about a half dozen or so hanging around and rooting around in the engine bay and door cracks when I was trying to troubleshoot...

It's not impossible, but it does sound a little hoaky, but they may have found a home in my exhaust or in the intake

I'm pretty certain it's getting fuel, because I pulled the plugs and they were fuel fouled. They wreaked of gas, and they were sludgy...not a thick sludge, but the carbon had combined with the gas and thickened a bit. I repl'd the plugs and tried again, with the same result, no start and wreaking of gas...

I'm going to unbolt the exhaust between the cat and the engine and see if anything changes. I'm hoping there isn't a nest near the cat, cuz that would completely suck!

Welcome to the world that is the country, yeeeeeeehaaaaaaa!
Old 04-18-2002, 07:48 PM   #11
cbrennan

If the car sat for a long period of time with out being started the pistons will contract(shrink) alittle. By cranking it continuously with the gas pedal down you help bring back the lost compression. There is something similar to this stated in the owners manual under hard starting. I have seen many cars towed into the shop for just this reason. I doubt very much its your cat. You would have noticed a loss of performance. If your sure it's getting fuel and spark try this. If no fuel check main relay the solder joints in the relay have a way of cracking causing loss of current flow. If not hay my car still runs.

later Chris
Old 04-18-2002, 07:50 PM   #12
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

so you are finally able to post.

trigeddy, i get the same sound but i think it's like a leak in the exhaust.

Old 04-22-2002, 08:44 PM   #13
Boosted3g

if you have fuel, spark and compression just get some ether and spray a little bit in the intake. She should fire right up. I have to do that with my 4 wheeler at the start of spring after it have been sitting all winter.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:51 AM   #14
Triggedy

Hey all, thanks for your help...
The simplest problems are usually the culprit, and this was one of those times...the plug wires were in the wrong order at the distributor, I had two reversed and that was it. Fired right up.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:34 AM   #15
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

damn, that was simple. who could ever though abpout that

Old 04-30-2002, 10:01 AM   #16
Triggedy

Yeah, I was interested in selling the car and I had just repl'd the wires on it. I've got a '96 Civic and I was going to put the new wires on my for sale car on my '96, but they didn't fit. So, it was getting dark, and when putting the wires back on I didn't put them on in the right order...simple/stupid *ss problem.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:15 AM   #17
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

ohh well i'm happy that you figured it out