::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Wheels, Tires, Suspension, and Brakes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2002, 08:56 PM   #1
Operatic

help on dropping my car

i own a 97 honda civic DX. and i was wondering, what should i get to drop it? i know i want coilovers. thats about it. but is there anything else i should be getting?

thanks
Old 06-24-2002, 08:23 AM   #2
97CivicFerio

Are you talking about full coilovers? Such as Apexi WS or Tein HA? Or do you mean like GC's or Skunk 2's?
Old 06-24-2002, 09:17 AM   #3
Operatic

like GC's, Skunk 2's, Ground Control. the kind wheres it's just the spring.

i just need help, i'm not to sure about this stuff. i need to do some major research on it.

i'm just trying to find out what people think is the best shock and coilover combo
Old 06-24-2002, 05:43 PM   #4
97CivicFerio

Exclamation

Most people will tell you that Ground Controls with Koni Yellows is a great combo. I feel like you would be hard pressed to do much better than that without spending a lot more money.
Old 06-24-2002, 07:33 PM   #5
Operatic

everyone says Ground Control wit Koni yellows. but thats like TOP of the line almost isn't it?

i'm looking for a medium. or will anything else just give me crap?
Old 06-24-2002, 08:14 PM   #6
97CivicFerio

Well, you can get away with using KYG AGX if you ONLY plan to drop up to 1.5". If you want to go much lower than that the AGX will not really be enough. Regardless I think you should get the GC's because they will hold up the best for you and they come with Eibach ERS springs. You can order custom rates direct from Ground Control.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:30 PM   #7
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Interms of Coilovers.. I wouldnt go with anything but GC. Skunks are supposed to be better then they used to ride wise because I believe they lowered the spring rates from the set that I use to have.. I wouldnt touch anything else. Especially the cheap ones. A cars handling is to important not to do right. If you have to save the money for the better stuff then do it. You wont be sorry you did.
Old 07-10-2002, 01:01 PM   #8
IntegraR0064

Quote:
Originally posted by Operatic
everyone says Ground Control wit Koni yellows. but thats like TOP of the line almost isn't it?

i'm looking for a medium. or will anything else just give me crap?

No....nowhere near top of the line.

Personally, I consider ground control w/ koni yellows to be bottom of the line. That's the very least you should do in terms of coilovers. Top of the line would be some custom valved remote reservoir matched dampers with independant compression and rebound settings, and could easily cost in the 10s of thousands of dollars....
Old 07-10-2002, 01:04 PM   #9
IntegraR0064

Actually, if you want a little cheaper, than do the bilstein HDs instead of koni yellows with the ground controls.

You'd lose rebound adjustability, but they adjust by themselves, and that'd probably be better for you anyway...and they're a bit cheaper.

Do NOT do kyb agx, they'll blow if you lower much, especially if you order high spring rates.
Old 07-10-2002, 01:24 PM   #10
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by IntegraR0064
Actually, if you want a little cheaper, than do the bilstein HDs instead of koni yellows with the ground controls.

I agree.. That wouldnt be to bad of a setup.
Old 07-10-2002, 06:18 PM   #11
97CivicFerio

Exclamation

Yeah, the Bilstein HD are nice. Like I said, I would only go with AGX if you plan on lowering a small amount. Something like 1.5" or less. Also, like IntegraR0064 said, AGX also cannot handle high spring rates. Keep that in mind also when you go to buy.
Old 07-10-2002, 07:01 PM   #12
AzCivic

wait wait wait, I have KYB AGX's with a 2 1/4 drop and I haven't had any problems... then again after writing this they're gonna blow. Excuse me I have to go knock on wood.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 07:24 PM   #13
IntegraR0064

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
wait wait wait, I have KYB AGX's with a 2 1/4 drop and I haven't had any problems... then again after writing this they're gonna blow. Excuse me I have to go knock on wood.

You have progress springs. NOT coilovers...big difference there slick.

KYB AGX are a great shock, but only for low spring rates and/or small drops...