::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2003, 11:57 PM   #1
Wabster

To bypass or not to bypass?

So should i put a bypass valve in my AEM CAI or not. I just got it but didn't install it yet. I'm open for all suggestions/opinions.
Old 04-27-2003, 01:43 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

you are not lowered right ? i really don't think you need one. my car is pretty low. the filter is just inches from the ground and i never got water in the intake

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 03:26 AM   #3
HndaTch627

don't waste your time, i pull about 75% of those things out of the throttle plates they get stuck in(be lucky that's where they stop ususally).

jeremy

p.s.: watch out for deep puddles
Old 04-27-2003, 08:18 AM   #4
TonitrusEN
4th Gear

If your going to put in a bypass valve you might as well put in a short ram.. because a CAI with a bypass valve isnt a CAI anymore...

My Baby

Unbelievable...

Quote:
Anonymous: Yea but a car has 4 heads, so it's headers!

Me: Or.. you could say that a car has one head...
TonitrusEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 09:30 AM   #5
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

did the inake come in 2 sections or 1? if there are 2 then just put the filter on the short end when its seriously raining and the longer end when its dry
if its 1 piece then it all depends on where you live, how low you are and how good of a driver you are to avoid puddles.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 02:13 PM   #6
RavingCivic

i Put the Bypass on my AEM CAI and thank GOD i did. i went around a corner one day when it was raining and the entire road was flooded bout a foot, which my filter was submerged for a few seconds entirely, anyways the Bypass saved my engine. AND the bypass sux air too as ur driving and gives the engine a deeper sound

Jeremy,
How often do u pull bypas valves out of the throttle plate? what kars were they on, and were they installed correctly??? i have heard of this happening before but have never seen it done. almost all of the people at Concept Auto Creations are using AEM CAI and they all have bypasses and i have not heard any complaints about the bypass valves.
Old 04-27-2003, 03:03 PM   #7
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well i needed once the bpv when the highway was all flooded at a lower section of it. i had no way out than pass thru it. and yes aem had problems with their BPV's. The second generation of bpv's have no problems at all. i'm sporting one of the second gen bpv's

Old 04-27-2003, 05:46 PM   #8
RavingCivic

When did the 2nd GEn Bypass valves begin to be distributed? i will call AEM and try and find out, I got my AEM CAI last summer in august 2002. hopefully that is 2nd GEN.

Toni, y isnt a CAI witha bypass valve a CAI any longer, i understand it is still pulling some air in from the engine bay but majority of air IS coming in from filter...which means COLDER AIR is coming in
Old 04-27-2003, 08:01 PM   #9
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

sometimes last year. i will call aem tomorrow and find out.

Old 04-27-2003, 08:13 PM   #10
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
yes aem had problems with their BPV's. The second generation of bpv's have no problems at all. i'm sporting one of the second gen bpv's

Yeah, but they'll send you a plastic piece to fix the problems in the 1st gen BPV's for free.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 09:00 PM   #11
JamieS697

just a question i have for anyone that can answer i bought an injen cai and it didnt come with a by-pass do they not need one whats the deal?
Old 04-27-2003, 09:31 PM   #12
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well the aem intakes come one piece but you need to cut them to add the bpv. and neither aem comes with a bpv. that's a separate item.

Old 04-28-2003, 02:24 AM   #13
HndaTch627

Quote:
Originally posted by RavingCivic
Jeremy,
How often do u pull bypas valves out of the throttle plate? what kars were they on, and were they installed correctly??? i have heard of this happening before but have never seen it done. almost all of the people at Concept Auto Creations are using AEM CAI and they all have bypasses and i have not heard any complaints about the bypass valves.
oddly enough i haven;t seen any yet this year. for a while i'd get about 1 a week towed in with the car just bouncing off the rev limiter, look and sure enough it had(notice i said had) a AEM bypass. I was not aware there was a second version available to correct the issue. I have pulled them out of preludes, accords, and civics(obvsiously the models most likely to have problems). Usually it happens right after a heavy rain storm(probably after a vacuum has been pulled on the device) and for whatever reason the foam just decides it likes to go into the throttle plate and hold it wide open.

jeremy