::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2003, 10:41 AM   #1
sc0rch

GSR or B18?

alright i've decided that i'm gonna do a swap sometime but nothing too soon.....but i havent decided on wich motor...wich would be easier to put in? and wich has more HP stock?
Old 02-17-2003, 10:56 AM   #2
AzCivic

they are both B18's, the GSR is a B18c and the LS motor is the B18b. They both take about the same time and money to put in. The B18c1(GSR) has 170hp stock while the b18b has 140stock. It all depends on how much you want to spend and what you want in the end. the gsr motor costs more(the engine its self) but has more power while the LS motor is cheaper and lets you have money left over for other mods. Do a LONG search on google and you'll find any and all info there is on these swaps.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 12:49 PM   #3
JDMB16

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
they are both B18's, the GSR is a B18c and the LS motor is the B18b. They both take about the same time and money to put in. The B18c1(GSR) has 170hp stock while the b18b has 140stock. It all depends on how much you want to spend and what you want in the end. the gsr motor costs more(the engine its self) but has more power while the LS motor is cheaper and lets you have money left over for other mods. Do a LONG search on google and you'll find any and all info there is on these swaps.

when you say B18, please specify which one you're talking about. Pretty much, this guy is correct...but IMO, I would get a second gen B16A which is the same HP as a B18C1 (USDM GSR motor) with a little less tq, but costs on the regular about $800 less than the B18C1. With that extra cash, you can do all sorts of things to your motor It all depends on what you want in the end though...do you want to stay NA or do you want to go FI?
Old 02-17-2003, 02:47 PM   #4
sc0rch

ok i'm an idiot when it comes to motors not of the 8 cylender kind

What NA and is FI fuel injection?

i'm hoping i wont have to dump a tone of $ into the motor anyway....if i'm lucky i'll find a trashed car in the junkyard with what i want in it......ohio has tons of junkyards and what used to be the biggest in the US.......so i shouldnt have too much trouble finding a motor for cheep.......i'll even pull it myself since i have my uncle who is a mechanic help me..........

i just want something thats gonna be decently quick and that i can find plenty of parts for when i'm looking for that stuff......
Old 02-17-2003, 02:52 PM   #5
JDMB16

NA is naturally aspirated and FI is forced induction. Forced induction means you have air being forced into your engine basically, which means you have a supercharger or turbo. Some people consider nitrous to be a form of FI.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:59 PM   #6
96coupe

any b-series motor will have plenty of aftermarket parts available, but i would go w/ a gsr or type r is you got the $
Old 02-17-2003, 04:23 PM   #7
sc0rch

eventually a turbo deffinately but for the start it would be just a short ram intake
Old 02-17-2003, 04:37 PM   #8
sohc_vtec 2NR

don't forget that the LS motor is NON-vtec and the gsr is vtec... both of these engines have great potential as long as you have the money anything is possible..
Old 02-18-2003, 11:15 AM   #9
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

you could always get the b18b (ls) block and then a b18c1 (gsr) head (=ls/vtec conversion) for it and then get all the other necessary parts...this could also be cheaper if you get them from different places (those not in the know) and youd get to know even more about the engine when you put it together...doing it this way also makes it easier to build up the engine for the FI with better parts like rods and what not

Last edited by pdiggitydogg : 02-18-2003 at 12:33 PM.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 06:54 AM   #10
sc0rch

oh...and when i go to do it where can i find motor mounts? and are they expensive?
Old 02-20-2003, 10:57 AM   #11
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by JDMB16
NA is naturally aspirated and FI is forced induction. Forced induction means you have air being forced into your engine basically, which means you have a supercharger or turbo. Some people consider nitrous to be a form of FI.

nitrous is a form of forced induction. you are forcing the combustion chamber to have a higher amount of o2 than normal

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 03:29 PM   #12
JDMB16

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
nitrous is a form of forced induction. you are forcing the combustion chamber to have a higher amount of o2 than normal

yes, some people don't consider it as one, some people do, I for one, do. What do you mean the "combustion chamber"? There are several types of nitrous systems out there...direct port, dry, wet, fogger. What nitrous actually does, is when it reaches a certain degrees of temperature, the molecules seperate and releases a lot of oxygen.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:36 PM   #13
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by JDMB16
yes, some people don't consider it as one, some people do, I for one, do. What do you mean the "combustion chamber"? There are several types of nitrous systems out there...direct port, dry, wet, fogger. What nitrous actually does, is when it reaches a certain degrees of temperature, the molecules seperate and releases a lot of oxygen.

actualy, its at a certain pressure it separates. nitrous(actualy the gas used isnt nitrous(n2), its nitrous-oxide(n2o) ) isnt flamable at all. when pressurized you raise the % of oxygen from the normal ~7% to roughly 33% i believe. you are altering(forcing) the amont of oxygen that your car intakes normaly. all 3 types of nitrous work off the same principal, dry hopes all cylenders get equal amount of n2o and fuel will correct its self, wet hopes the n2o makes it to all cylenders also, but also sends supposably enough fuel with it. direct port directly puts equal amounts to each intake runner.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 04:34 AM   #14
Suk02Si

LS/Vtec is good if done properly. I say go GSR(B18C) and if you plan to turbo in the future like you mention then you'll be good. I think the LS bottom end is very strong though, which is what makes it a popular turbo setup. It's just not reliable if not done properly.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:02 AM   #15
JDMB16

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
actualy, its at a certain pressure it separates. nitrous(actualy the gas used isnt nitrous(n2), its nitrous-oxide(n2o) ) isnt flamable at all. when pressurized you raise the % of oxygen from the normal ~7% to roughly 33% i believe. you are altering(forcing) the amont of oxygen that your car intakes normaly. all 3 types of nitrous work off the same principal, dry hopes all cylenders get equal amount of n2o and fuel will correct its self, wet hopes the n2o makes it to all cylenders also, but also sends supposably enough fuel with it. direct port directly puts equal amounts to each intake runner.

The air you and your engine breathe is made up, at sea level, of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and just 1% other gases. Nitrous oxide (N2O) is made by simply taking the 2 major components of earth's atmosphere (in this case 2 molecules of nitrogen and 1 molecule of oxygen) and attaching them together with a chemical bond. When the nitrous oxide goes into your engine the heat of combustion breaks the chemical bond to provide your engine more oxygen with which to burn fuel.

THANK YOU COME AGAIN
Old 02-21-2003, 08:04 AM   #16
JDMB16

OH, and I know that it's n2o, don't act like I don't know what I'm talking about when you sir are the one with the BS coming from his keyboard
Old 02-21-2003, 10:32 PM   #17
AzCivic

You both just expained the same process with different wording.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:04 PM   #18
Mirkwo0dForest

b16a2 has a tad less HP and cost mucho less!
but if it were me, i'd want b18c

(it ryhmes but i didn't plan that...)
Old 02-23-2003, 10:52 PM   #19
sc0rch

bah.....who cares about the N02 crap? i might go ith the b16a2....what car would i look for it to be in? ex,lx,dx?? and year......some dick at a junkyard call all foreign autopartsd told me that the GSR motor would cost me $3800 and thats with 60k miles on it and i told him to stick up his ass......
Old 02-23-2003, 11:05 PM   #20
96coupe

at a junkyard the only cars you could find w/ a b16 would be..

b16a3---94-95 del sol
b16a2---96-97 del sol and 99-00 civic si
Old 02-24-2003, 12:24 AM   #21
sc0rch

no shit? i just say a 95 delsol in the junkyard saturday...and when we popped the hood the only thing missing was the oil cap.....but that could be serious problems if the hood had been left open during rain and crap
Old 02-24-2003, 01:37 AM   #22
96coupe

Quote:
Originally posted by sc0rch
no shit? i just say a 95 delsol in the junkyard saturday...and when we popped the hood the only thing missing was the oil cap.....but that could be serious problems if the hood had been left open during rain and crap

i forgot to say the b16's are only in the del sol vtec models, the si and s models have d-series
Old 02-24-2003, 01:39 AM   #23
ifeldwn02
3rd Gear

i d have to say get the ls then do a vtec head swap. ls block is one of hondas strongest blocks u can get.
ifeldwn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 01:41 AM   #24
sc0rch

what would the head cost me?
Old 02-24-2003, 02:54 AM   #25
96coupe

i've seen them go for $500 or so.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:52 PM   #26
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by ifeldwn02
i d have to say get the ls then do a vtec head swap. ls block is one of hondas strongest blocks u can get.

not likely.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:44 PM   #27
h0ndakilla

I'm mainly coming to these forums to find out as much as possible, so heres a somewhat dumb question, whats a block and whats a head?
Old 04-24-2003, 08:58 PM   #28
Mirkwo0dForest

Quote:
Originally posted by h0ndakilla
I'm mainly coming to these forums to find out as much as possible, so heres a somewhat dumb question, whats a block and whats a head?

block be da engine yo!
head be the top part of the engine yo!

nuff said...

IF I WERE YOU...
since u are planning on the turbocharger then i would go for the B18C (GS-R motor)

though all the other motors are nice turboed to0...

um yea if u do the Del Sol thing MAKE sure u get a VTEC engine and not a D-series... cuz u ain't going anywhere fast with them... believe me... *cough*
Old 04-25-2003, 09:19 AM   #29
JDMB16

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirkwo0dForest
b16a2 has a tad less HP and cost mucho less!
but if it were me, i'd want b18c

(it ryhmes but i didn't plan that...)

no, actually the B16A2 is more than a B18C1 since it's not a very "plentiful" motor. I think you're thinking of a Second Gen B16A, which is usually about $800 less like I already stated once in this thread.
Old 04-25-2003, 09:20 AM   #30
JDMB16

Quote:
Originally posted by sc0rch
bah.....who cares about the N02 crap? i might go ith the b16a2....what car would i look for it to be in? ex,lx,dx?? and year......some dick at a junkyard call all foreign autopartsd told me that the GSR motor would cost me $3800 and thats with 60k miles on it and i told him to stick up his ass......

B16A2 is only found in the 99-00 Civic SI or SiR in Canada.
Old 04-25-2003, 09:20 AM   #31
JDMB16

Quote:
Originally posted by 96coupe
at a junkyard the only cars you could find w/ a b16 would be..

b16a3---94-95 del sol
b16a2---96-97 del sol and 99-00 civic si

read above post
Old 04-25-2003, 09:23 AM   #32
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

No dude, the a2 is in the 1996-97 del sol vtec too
(I can take a pic of the engine code for you if you want)
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 09:28 AM   #33
JDMB16

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirkwo0dForest
block be da engine yo!
head be the top part of the engine yo!

nuff said...

IF I WERE YOU...
since u are planning on the turbocharger then i would go for the B18C (GS-R motor)

though all the other motors are nice turboed to0...

um yea if u do the Del Sol thing MAKE sure u get a VTEC engine and not a D-series... cuz u ain't going anywhere fast with them... believe me... *cough*

if you can't give a straight answer, don't answer at all.

The block of the motor is the bottom part of the engine, it contains the crank, connecting rods, pistons etc. and has the tranny attached to it.

The head of your motor is the top part which contains the valves, valve springs, cams, rockers etc. The head has the valve cover on top where the spark plugs are located, where the intake manifold connects and where the exhaust manifold connects.

Also, if you are planning to go turbo, get a B18B (Integra LS engine) due to it's lower compression ratio

um yea, there are D series motors that are VTEC (D16Z6, D16Y8 etc) And yeah, there are plenty of fast D series motors out there, it is just easier with the DOHC motors since they have more HP to begin with.
Old 04-26-2003, 01:49 PM   #34
h0ndakilla

What is the block and what is the head? i'm really confused on that, someone plz help me.
Old 04-26-2003, 01:51 PM   #35
h0ndakilla

oops, i guess i asked the question to late, sorry.
Old 04-26-2003, 01:57 PM   #36
h0ndakilla

What if you were planning on going supercharge? would it still be better to get an LS motor?