::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2003, 12:44 PM   #1
TSilvs

Got some $$, What to do first??

All I have for my car is rims and I finally have some money to spend and I dont know what I should do first. I was looking at turbos and I wouldnt mind going that route but I dont know what I should do before the turbo?? Suspension?? Exhaust?? I have a 97 Civic EX with 40k and about 2 grand to spend. If I want to end up with turbo what should I get first?? Or is saving up more the way to go?? Thanks....
Old 02-04-2003, 01:00 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Well, IMO you should do your suspension and brakes before you add big power. You have to stick to the road to go fast. You could easily drop $2k on that alone, but you probably don't want to.

For speed, you want the turbo for sure, but you'll also need large diameter exhaust piping, so you could start with that.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 01:09 PM   #3
TSilvs

Ya I thought about that to... For suspension I was thinking about Koni Yellows and Ground Control?? And for exhaust I was thinking about getting the catback 3" Thermal R&D Any Feedback on these companies I should know about?? Any feedback would be great... And I still need a radio...lol
Old 02-04-2003, 01:28 PM   #4
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by TSilvs
Ya I thought about that to... For suspension I was thinking about Koni Yellows and Ground Control?? And for exhaust I was thinking about getting the catback 3" Thermal R&D Any Feedback on these companies I should know about?? Any feedback would be great... And I still need a radio...lol

Koni yellows and GCs are the best coilover sleeve combo. If you want to spend more and venture into the world of high end true coilover, you can get more, but most of those are for road racers.

Old 02-04-2003, 02:38 PM   #5
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

the 3" will kill you until you get your turbo in.

You'll lose practically all your low end torque. Keep your stock exhaust on, until you get the spooler.

everyone loves the turbizzim.
TeriyakiBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 03:52 PM   #6
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I would get the Koni threaded suspension kit if I were you. Those will run you roughly $1K, then start saving for some speed..

Call www.shox.com and see if they carry them.

I think this is the part..

Civic Sedan/Hatchback/Coupe/SI 96-00 1150-5010 1150-5010 Adj. spring perch can lower car approx. 60mm
Old 02-04-2003, 03:56 PM   #7
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

i agree go with the suspension first
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 05:39 PM   #8
sohc_vtec 2NR

how much will the koni yellows with the ground control lower my 99 civic? i'm thinkin' of gettin' my suspension upgraded...
Old 02-04-2003, 05:45 PM   #9
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by sohc_vtec 2NR
how much will the koni yellows with the ground control lower my 99 civic? i'm thinkin' of gettin' my suspension upgraded...

Ground Controls are adjustable, so up to 3-4" I think. plenty low.

Old 02-04-2003, 06:52 PM   #10
foreverzz

what do you guys think of the tockico illuminas?
Old 02-04-2003, 10:12 PM   #11
96coupe

toxico illuminas are a good shock, but i think the koni yellows are better

i say do your suspension and brakes first, depending on what size wheels you have you should be able to get a good big brake kit. you will be happy you have them when you go turbo.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:35 AM   #12
cashizslick

Re: Got some $$, What to do first??

Quote:
Originally posted by TSilvs
All I have for my car is rims and I finally have some money to spend and I dont know what I should do first. I was looking at turbos and I wouldnt mind going that route but I dont know what I should do before the turbo?? Suspension?? Exhaust?? I have a 97 Civic EX with 40k and about 2 grand to spend. If I want to end up with turbo what should I get first?? Or is saving up more the way to go?? Thanks....

Get a Good set of springs to help ur car handle well and take advantage of the rims you have - and an exhaust.

Dont bother getting headers or an intake if u are gonna go turbo - you will just be wasting your money.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:06 AM   #13
TSilvs

Is there anything I can do now to make the car a little bit quicker before the turbo?? Thanks for all the feedback and I am going to order my suspension and brakes soon. Any suggestions on brakes??
Old 02-05-2003, 10:28 AM   #14
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i'd say gsr calipers, gsr cross drilled rotors, ground controls, koni yellows

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 09:41 PM   #15
Turbo_LS_Hatch

Honestly, don't go turbo. From the way it sounds, you don't know too much, and a turbo might be more than you need right now. If I were you, I would wait until you're a little more knowledgable, then boost it. If I'm wrong, and you really do know your stuff, disregard this post.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:47 PM   #16
TonitrusEN
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbo_LS_Hatch
Honestly, don't go turbo. From the way it sounds, you don't know too much, and a turbo might be more than you need right now. If I were you, I would wait until you're a little more knowledgable, then boost it. If I'm wrong, and you really do know your stuff, disregard this post.

^^ yer right sir

do your suspension.. do your brakes.. read up on FI... give it time it aint goin no where, turbo

pun intended

My Baby

Unbelievable...

Quote:
Anonymous: Yea but a car has 4 heads, so it's headers!

Me: Or.. you could say that a car has one head...
TonitrusEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 10:03 AM   #17
TSilvs

That’s what im going to do, im going to do my suspension and brakes now and maybe a some little things here and there and then when I have the money again I should have the knowledge to go with it. In all honesty if I got turbo now I think it would be a waste of money to, but im trying and I think from what im reading im getting a little more familiar with it, it just sucks that
I live in a small town and no one else here has no more knowledge than I do. So if anyone knows of some repudtible site to get info on the install and tuning that would be very much appreciated.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:58 PM   #18
h0ndakilla

What if your planning on going AIR RIDE, whats the best suspension for that..?
Old 04-24-2003, 09:27 PM   #19
bent_remy

Got some money............Give it to me.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:28 PM   #20
Spitz

On the amount your gonna spend on a turbo, intercooler, etc. plus install if your not doing it. You'd almost be better off swaping a jdm b18c1 you'll end up with probably the same hp depending on which turbo you go with. And then down the road you have more options like slapping a turbo on your new motor but that's just my opinion
Old 04-25-2003, 12:26 AM   #21
Civic98

Quote:
Originally posted by Spitz
On the amount your gonna spend on a turbo, intercooler, etc. plus install if your not doing it. You'd almost be better off swaping a jdm b18c1 you'll end up with probably the same hp depending on which turbo you go with. And then down the road you have more options like slapping a turbo on your new motor but that's just my opinion

agreed....getting a turbo and getting it hooked up right and everythin is going to cost u close to $5k.....save up some more go w/ engine swap...(my opinion)