Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2002, 05:53 PM   #1
blind34_1

Amp output & LEDS

Heres one for you brandon:
I'm one of those kids that wired those 10 dollar red LED strips to his center console. I have it wired into a DPDT so my options are
steady on, off, pulse with amp output.

My question is, when the amp starts pumping a lot of juice, not only is it powering my sub, but (since its parallel) its sending signal to those leds too (which is what I want-pulsing is good) The other day, rammstein killed my lights. Too much bass overheated the lights and I think caused a short (the sub kept going though, so it wasn't the amp. The lights work now though. What I want to do is stick a resistor in there to limit the amount of signal to the leds. I have a 200 watt amp. Would my resistor idea work or not? If so, how many ohms should I shoot for? (I haven't worked those kind of equations since sophomore year - I'm rusty) Thanks
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 04:14 PM   #2
BrandonClaps

lol don't run stuff like that off your amp, thats a BADDDDDDDDDDDDD idea, you can use the remote wire on your headunit with a relay, but don't run it off the amp.
Old 06-02-2002, 07:36 PM   #3
blind34_1

Yeah, you know I think I realized that right after I wrote that thread. I think I'm pulsing way too much power thru those little lines. I don't know, a lot of my friends had the idea and applied it in there car, so I was curious and...ohwell.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote