::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2004, 08:30 PM   #1
Victorystardrop

Could it be the pulleys?

Well after I had my intake and headers put on my car has been idling a little low, so now when I come to a stop at a red light or whatever it drops to .5k rpms and lower and I can hear what sounds like a metalic high pitch rubbing sort of noise, now I know I need to replace my belts because they squeek every so often but this sound comes from the same area, but its not the belts. Now if I give it a little gas to around 1k the noise fades away. So if it is the pulleys I would rather just replace them with aftermarket ones instead of just turning up the idle so I cant hear it anymore. Any suggestions or opinions on the problem would be great.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:19 PM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

I doubt its the pulleys themselves. And I wouldnt recommend aftermarkey "performance" pulleys either.
Change the belts like you know you have to, adjust the idle adjust screw and clean the iacv on the back of the intake mani. Those will make it so the idle doesnt drop lower than its supposed to. You should do that anyways.

As far as the sound...is it like a metallic squeal?
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 12:13 AM   #3
Victorystardrop

yea kinda, its a wierd sound, its like the squeal the belts make except its more faint and metallic like you said, and only occurs when the idle drops.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:11 AM   #4
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

well I suggest checking belt tension, water pump, worn bearings...but only after you change the belts and its still there. You should chage the water pump at the same time anyways
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 02:43 AM   #5
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

squeeking sounds could mean the belts. I was told to watch out of squeeking sounds when any belts are changed by a mechanic. However I installed the pulleys right and got no squeeling sounds from the belt.
Civic_RedLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 03:40 AM   #6
Victorystardrop

Yea I know I probably need to replace my belt because it squeaks especially when it rains, and its real tight. I was used to that sound thats why I was concerned when I started to hear the metallic sound. But I will have the belt and water pump changed and hopefully that will clear it up, thanks.