Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2004, 12:38 AM   #1
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

aem pulleys

has anyone installed these pulleys on a 2001 civic? if so, what kind of results were you getting? after installtion I blew a fuse so I bought the same fuse from honda. I noticed a change especially when suddenly pressing the gas. Later on that night I noticed a slight sound that the power steering makes when the steering wheel is moving right or left. If anyone has these same pulleys installed can you post what it was light after the installtion.
Civic_RedLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 10:11 PM   #2
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

has no one installed pulleys ontheir civic?
Old 09-14-2004, 10:32 PM   #3
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

they dont do anything worth while, so no
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 11:54 PM   #4
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

thanks
Old 09-15-2004, 06:25 AM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

is the sounds like a really low buzz ? a humm ? my integra started doing that a while ago too so i am not sure the noise is pulley specific

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:42 PM   #6
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

it just makes the powersteering sound alot lounder than stock because now its noticable. Also my car freaggin shakes at full stop once in awhile ... is your car doing that also?
Old 09-15-2004, 05:40 PM   #7
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

yeah, but i have a leaking injector

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 06:53 PM   #8
AzCivic

i'd get rid of those pulley's if i were you.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 10:37 PM   #9
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

the car just shakes a little as if the clutch is not fully pressed fully. Also changed to denso iridium spark plugs so hopefully that will calm it down. One other thing it could be is that I put in91 octane after a while of putting in 87 octane which could be the cause of the knock while idling.

I dont know why the aem pulleys would be doing this. After all I have cam gears, intake, big rotor and they all have never caused me any trouble. The pulley did give me a slight gain in gearing but thats all I feel.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:58 PM   #10
pdiggitydogg

Might have something to do w/ the fact you threw a cam gear on there w/o having it tuned...on a stock cam.

Or because you have plugs on there that you dont need. Just because you have plugs that are "huge" doesnt mean youre getting any gain from them. Its like having a 200k modem...the phone lines arent that fast.

Or because you have pulleys on there that arent exactly oe spec. Any time you change something like pulleys, you throw off a specific geometry.

Whats "big rotor"? Brakes?
Old 09-16-2004, 12:58 AM   #11
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

I got the cams tuned and installed at a performance/motor shop. The pulleys I did myself, but I double checked with the mechanic and he said everything was right because I got the belts together at the shop. The instructions said not to stretch so I got a pro to fit the belt on for me. I know that cams are a big part so I didnt risk installing it myself unlike intake, pulley, headers.

I was talking about Big Brake Rotor kits. They are a bigger size slotted rotor kit. It helps you brake faster. I had to change brakes anyways so I just went with the big rotor kit from AEM for about 200 installed including aem pads. The only bad proble is I had to run 17" rims in the front for now because they wont fit on 15s. So basically right now my front two rims at 17" and back are 15" The rims are cheap and ugly so Im only borrowing it from my homie to wrecked his car. Should be about a month til I could save up for 17" rims of my own.
Oh yah were you kidding about what big rotor kits were?

Whats wrong with denso iridium. They are better than the ngks I had. Besides the stock ones didnt even get changed til now which is 60k mileage. They are recommended to be changed every 20k mileage so I did it for 12$ a piece. Also Im going with nitrous set up til engine gives up on me and swapping it to probably an h20 suv head.

Heres the link to the brake kits if you were serious about it http://www.autocarparts.com/part/329/23
mine is red colored and its cheaper

Last edited by Civic_RedLine : 09-16-2004 at 01:09 AM.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:47 AM   #12
AzCivic

"The pulley did give me a slight gain in gearing but thats all I feel."

ok what you need to do, and i'm serious:

stop modding your car because you have absolutely NO idea what your doing.(hate to sound mean, but its blatantly obvious from your posts.)

-you have ONE cam so the shop didnt tune your "cams". Did you get charged for dyno time? probably not since they just threw it on. Even if it was "tuned" all they can do is shift the power band around alittle, you're probably not gonna gain hardly anything from it.

-you "big rotor" kit, isnt gonna make you stop any shorter i bet, it might help w/ preventing some brake fade, but then again they probably weigh more than stock so they're also slowing you down. and the bigger rims you have to use are also slowing you down even further. and making your car look rediculous if you only have them on the front.

-those pulley's were a waste since they're not doing anything but making your car run weird.

-super duper special 100$ a piece spark plugs will have little affect on how the engine runs, and they surely wont fix anything you messed up by installing the pulley's

-same goes for higher octane gas, your economy gas-saver only needs 87 so stop throwing even more money away.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:49 AM   #13
pdiggitydogg

no I was just curious as to what you meant by "big rotor". Im much happier w/ my integra oem brakes that I can fit behind stock sized wheels.

You cant put an h head on your d17. You cant but a B head on your car either. Doesnt work that way.
sohc + sohc only. dohc + dohc only.

I paid $5 each for my ngk's and their fine. You missed my point about the rest of your ignition....its all stock minus the plugs. Youre not gaining anything. Even if you changed the wires and plugs...its still stock power unless you get another box to change/increase the spark.

I am surprised, yet glad, that you had the gear tuned. What is the change in degrees over stock, by the way? (again, just curious)
Old 09-16-2004, 10:12 AM   #14
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

just to put it to aem's recommended setting. Like I said Im going to nitrous so Im doing whole ignition upgrade from ground wires to msd ignition. The big rotors do help alot from before because my freaggin steering wheel dont shake any more!!! also Im only using the rims cuz I cant fit the brakes on 15s. spark plugs were 12 a piece. Im not doubtful at all about the pulleys because I did see some gains.
Im just upgrading everything slowly. Whatever I can get for cheap is whatever Ill do first. I have a friend with the hook-ups. Only thing is he always tries to make money off the installs, so I just borrow his tools and follow instructions.

THE CAM GEAR is set on aem recommended setting which is -2 I think
Old 09-16-2004, 12:35 PM   #15
AzCivic

dude, there's no way of knowing if thats the best w/ out dyno testing it. aem doesnt even recommend a setting they just say that usually when you retard the cam timing you shift the powerband to get more top end power and visa versa for low end(i think thats the order)

did you check ignition timing after having the cam timing fildled with?
Old 09-16-2004, 12:37 PM   #16
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_RedLine
The big rotors do help alot from before because my freaggin steering wheel dont shake any more!!!

thats because the stock ones were warped, getting autozone ones would have fixed that, and been way cheaper. they dont look as cool, but neither is riding w/ 17's in the front.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:32 PM   #17
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

lol..... thanks for bagging on my honda. I dont care if it looks ugly for now. I have no choice, that is why I'm using the 17s. I have big plans for this car. I dont mine upgrading something that needs to be replaced. Also the cam gear wasnt the issue here.

This is one of AEM's facts.
Question: Will this upgrade cause my battery to die?

Answer: No. The effect of the Pulleys at idle is minimal. The only time there may be a problem is if there is a very high demand on the electrical above and beyond the stock design. This would include very high power sound systems or similar devices. Of course you should make sure the charging system of the car is in good condition.

They state that there is an idling problem, but is very minimal, especially with high powered sound system. Im running stock battery with two high power amps and two subs. Im going to change amps to one amp and one sub, then see what the outcome will be like. If the car doesnt idle anymore, I'm keeping the pulleys. If the car does idle then I will have no other choice then taking them out.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:58 PM   #18
AzCivic

does it have a weird idle all the time or just when the system is turned up?
Old 09-16-2004, 04:22 PM   #19
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

not specifically when the system is turned up. But after a 30 min drive on the freeway with the stereo blasting. When I get off the freeway I usually lower down the volume. When the car comes to a full stop it shakes little before it does come to the stop. Then stops then a little shakoe again. Its wierd cuz I didnt even have the sound system bumpin. Also in some other cases the car would idle even though the stereo is not on.