.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2003, 08:16 PM   #1
OPAKRACING

Help with shortening the throttle wire...

...howdo ya do it?
Old 01-29-2003, 09:01 PM   #2
Honda530

well when you look at the cable itself it has a nut on it. Loosen the nut and pull the cable as so to remove the slack. Then tighten the nut. Dont pull hte cable so tight that it makes your idle higher though. Dont worry the Haynes auto manual recommends you to do this when you tune up the car.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:36 PM   #3
OPAKRACING

ok, but i'm havn so much frigen trouble with gettign the nut losened, and where the hell is the nut? lol, i swear, i'm "tightening throttle wire cable inept" er somthin...i need pics! plz hehe

any other help would be great.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:45 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

do you even know where the cable is??
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 04:11 PM   #5
shadowracer
1st Gear

Make sure your not turning the nut on the cable sleeve. The throttle cable is held in a mount on the intake. At this mount you should find to 12mm nuts. (or 14mm I forget) One should be held by a little tang on the mount to keep it still while you tighten or loosen it. Once you've located the mount and the nuts you can start your adjustment.

I like to do this with the car running, not the safest thing but it can be done with a lil common sense. First start your car and make sure its warmed up before any adjustment. You don't want to set your cable while the car is in closed loop and fast idle. Before you go to the second step make sure you set the parking brake and the car is in neutral. Second pop your hood and locate the throttle cable. Once you've found the cable tug on it to see just how much slack you have in it. Note that once all the slack is gone the engine will rev. DUH! Third, take your 2, 12mm open end wrenches, use one to hold the nut that is being held by the tang on the mount and the other to loosen the lock(jam) nut. (Remember lefty loosey righty tighty) Loosen the jam nut till you can move by hand then spin it back far enough so as you can actually pull the cable out of the mount. Now adjust the other nut towards the mount, you will be turning it right to tighten it down. Move it about a half inch from its original location. Now reinstall it back in the mount. If the engine idle starts to speed up you adjusted it to far just spin the nut back a little. If you get no response tighten it up a lil more once you've got it set to where the engine is at normal idle and you tug on the cable just the slightest bit your good to go. To finish up just replace the cable back in its mount and hold the nut still on the mount and run the jam nut back down on to the mount and snug it up. it does not have to be super tight, Hope this helps a lil and good luck with it If all goes well you should have great throttle response.

Old 01-30-2003, 06:34 PM   #6
OPAKRACING

w00t! thnx shadow!
Old 01-30-2003, 09:42 PM   #7
Honda530

Ill take you some pics tomorrow ok.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:18 AM   #8
shadowracer
1st Gear

I try to help