::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2004, 11:09 PM   #1
dabouncerx24

Help me to make my ride faster, plz.

I have a 1993 EX Coupe AT. I just got it recently and I have an AEM short ram in it (great addition) and those 100$ universal mufflers that nobody gives a dam about (anymore). Other than these basic upgrades, what else can I put in it to make it faster for a BARGAINABLE price, not outrageous upgrades like a 400$ catback exhaust or 1000$ turbo. What else is a great addition in the range of 100-150 or less?

Thanx for the help.

(Yes I am cheap bcuz my parents don't have money to tune up my car and I work a ridiculous 50$ a day job .

Just another tid bit, the previous owner either cut the goddam stock springs or got some with really bad quality. The drop is 2.5F and 2.25R, everytime I ride the car it feels like shit. I think the suspension is pretty much wrecked by now..what should I do?

Last edited by dabouncerx24 : 07-21-2004 at 12:03 AM.
dabouncerx24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 12:14 AM   #2
vtracer20

okay as far as perfermance wise...i'm a accord owner but i'm sure i can give ya tips on spending money. A muffler will DO NOTHING TO YOUR CAR. Unless u upgrade your piping from header back u will get minimal to nothing hp/tq. FOr the 100-150 range u could probably get some MSD wires and plugs. U will get a slight better response from your car and (happened to me) better miliage too. I would probably just recommend saving up for like 3 weeks and get a header or something...anything u put on ur car for under 200 bucks will probably do nothing to your car. I had to spend 600 plus 500 labor( DONT ASK) to get my header back setup on my car. It was well worth it cause it brought all the hp's i lost from a clogged cat and a leaking header. As for your suspension. Just look around and u might find a steal from someone else's setup their trying to get rid of. If you dont like ur ride that much go back to stock
Old 07-21-2004, 01:22 AM   #3
beretta92r

mini me?
Old 07-21-2004, 01:41 AM   #4
dabouncerx24

mini.....wah?

So I should get custom piping huh? What should the diameter be and how much!?

(Yeah ur pretty much 99% right about <150$ = nothing to a car, but that AEM intake is the 1% exception).
Old 07-21-2004, 03:06 AM   #5
95DX
2nd Gear

a mini me setup is where you put the head of one engine on a different block if I remember right something like b18 head on b/d16 but could be the other way

as far as piping unless you plan on going fi you should be fine around 2 1/4 inch
95DX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 12:44 PM   #6
vtracer20

yeah 2 1/4 is prime for none FI engines. The head swapping coudl be costly wouldn't it??
Old 07-21-2004, 03:42 PM   #7
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:
Originally posted by 95DX
a mini me setup is where you put the head of one engine on a different block if I remember right something like b18 head on b/d16 but could be the other way

as far as piping unless you plan on going fi you should be fine around 2 1/4 inch

Mini-me is a D16 non-vtec block with a Z6 or Y8 head. Generally its the D16A6 (CRX SI engine) with a Z6 head. The reason why this is so popular is that it yields more compression (and obviously more power) than a stock D16Z6. Something like 130-135 HP.

Quote:
Originally posted by dabouncerx24
I have a 1993 EX Coupe AT. I just got it recently and I have an AEM short ram in it (great addition) and those 100$ universal mufflers that nobody gives a dam about (anymore). Other than these basic upgrades, what else can I put in it to make it faster for a BARGAINABLE price, not outrageous upgrades like a 400$ catback exhaust or 1000$ turbo. What else is a great addition in the range of 100-150 or less?

Thanx for the help.

(Yes I am cheap bcuz my parents don't have money to tune up my car and I work a ridiculous 50$ a day job .

Just another tid bit, the previous owner either cut the goddam stock springs or got some with really bad quality. The drop is 2.5F and 2.25R, everytime I ride the car it feels like shit. I think the suspension is pretty much wrecked by now..what should I do?

BTW u cant do a mini-me. U already have a VTEC head. As far as cheap increases. Well there really isnt none. U get what u pay for. DC sports makes a decent header for your engine. That I would say would be the easiest way to extract more power right at the moment for what u want. U should be able to get them under 300 shipped.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:37 PM   #8
JDMFantasy2k

first of all, your car is older, best thing you can do if you know it hasn't been done is change you plugs. I'm not sure what are the best kind, i'm using bosch platinum +4, although i heard they aren't the best i don't have a problem with them. Next change you oil if you know it hasn't been done. Plug wires are a plus too although not totally nescessary. I heard that Nology makes a nasty set that contains capacitors in them.

Although doing this stuff isn't going to do anything tremendous, it may make your car run a little smoother. And for the spring issues, see if you still have your stock struts, if you do you probably need new ones and if not then just redo the whole setup (ie: work you ass off and buy a nice suspension set-up, or go to the junkyard)
Old 07-21-2004, 11:59 PM   #9
dabouncerx24

First off, thx for all the help guys.
Second, if I get a header-custom piping setup, my car will definitely have more power right?
When I bought my muffler, they told me to get 80-100 ones bcuz my pipes are stock. They have so called "high-end" universal mufflers from Hayame and 5Zigen. So after I get the piping done, those so called high-ends will use their full potential right? Well at least that's what the shop told me...

So I gotta replace both my struts and springs....how much did you guys do it for?

Last edited by dabouncerx24 : 07-22-2004 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:57 AM   #10
95DX
2nd Gear

your not going to get a ton of power out of an exhaust but you will deffinately get more power. I don't have an exhaust on my car yet but before I got it done I'd check with the cops to find out what the legal desible limit was for where ever your from and make sure the exhaust you get put on is no higher then that limit, ie if you live in Ca make sure its c.a.r.b. exempt and carry the papers with you so if you get a cop who is being a dick about your exhaust you can show its within the limits (or whatever)

strut/spring prices are going to vary depending on who you go with some you might pay $6-700 others you might pay $3-400 it all depends on the brand(s) you go for but I'd deffinately say research before you jump into buying what ever setup you go with
95DX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 02:13 AM   #11
ewaugh

Pm me. there's a guy selling lowering springs (made by suspesion tech) for $171.

ewaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:43 PM   #12
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:
Originally posted by JDMFantasy2k
first of all, your car is older, best thing you can do if you know it hasn't been done is change you plugs. I'm not sure what are the best kind, i'm using bosch platinum +4, although i heard they aren't the best i don't have a problem with them. Next change you oil if you know it hasn't been done. Plug wires are a plus too although not totally nescessary. I heard that Nology makes a nasty set that contains capacitors in them.

Although doing this stuff isn't going to do anything tremendous, it may make your car run a little smoother. And for the spring issues, see if you still have your stock struts, if you do you probably need new ones and if not then just redo the whole setup (ie: work you ass off and buy a nice suspension set-up, or go to the junkyard)

plug wires dont do crap. Waste of money. Especially the nology's. Bosch platinums arent going to get u any power either.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:20 PM   #13
dabouncerx24

Does custom piping really give ur car more power!? Cars with small engines like ours...doesn't it lose power with a pipe that has a larger diameter than the stock pipe? I know how the pipe is bent matters alot, but still, does it really help?

How did the Civics from you guys feel after custom piping is done? How much did it cost anyway.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:54 AM   #14
Honda_Tengoku

its the muffler is where u see most of your gains. A full mandrel bent exhaust system like Thermal, Magnaflow, Apexi, etc u will only see 3-7 HP. All of these gains will be over 4000 RPM! As far as exhaust flow, anything over 2.25 inch for most hondas (naturally aspirated of course) u will see a power loss. 2.25" seems to be the ideal size.