::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Integra
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2002, 05:55 PM   #1
sean5650

Just Bought 94 Integra LS

Hey everyone I just got a 1994 Integra LS. I dont know alot about cars yet. I guess you could say Im new to the scene. But anwyas..I wanna modify my car for street racing...any suggestions on where to start
Old 09-23-2002, 06:06 PM   #2
crx swap

Intake..header...exaust would be a good start....
Old 09-23-2002, 06:10 PM   #3
sean5650

any suggestions on brands and stuff? dont mean to be a dumbass abut this but I am
Old 09-23-2002, 06:35 PM   #4
Wren57

Heh your question is like so many Ive seen before... basically Sean, it depends on all kinds of things... well not really... it depends on how much cash u got and how fast you wanna go... if you got loads of cash, overbore/resleeve the block, full engine rebuild with JE pistons, Crower rods, skunk2 valvetrain, Skunk2 Cams/camshafts, etc... then add a turbo and crank the boost... dont forget suspension though, because it is just as important as the power... without good suspension you could be making 1200fwhp and get very little of that to the ground... anyways yeah, let us know how much you wanna spend and we will let you know how to spend it
Old 09-23-2002, 07:02 PM   #5
sean5650

well this is going to be a very long term project.....so spending...not realy a limit....but just for and idea...im 17 right now and im pullin in about 200 a week average.....(plus ill be going to college soon) nut anyways....yeah thats the money issue....i was thinking maybe saving up for a SPOON engine but i ehard hte waiitng list is like 3 years....and also...my only limit is the car has to stay street legal
Old 09-23-2002, 07:23 PM   #6
Krow

Well first of all you need to decide what you want the car to be. What are your goals ? The first suggestion I am going to make is that you do not street race. Once you do get going on this project keep all your racing to the track. Second is you need to figure out exactly what you want to do with the car. The ls engine is a good platform to start from. Then you need to decide if you want to go na or turbo, or just do the basic bolt ons. The ls (b18b) engine is a good engine to use for turbo due to the lower compression. There is also the lsvtec route. I would not suggest that unless you are willing to spend a grip of $$$ to get it built right. I hope that I did not confuse you, I know that I was pretty confused when I first got into modding cars. Given the info that you have already provided us, I would suggest you learn how to handle the car right now, then start out with some suspension work, and the basics intake, exhaust, headers.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:43 PM   #7
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Re: reply

Quote:
Originally posted by sean5650
i was thinking maybe saving up for a SPOON engine but i ehard hte waiitng list is like 3 years....and also...my only limit is the car has to stay street legal

Spoon engines are for road racing, not drag racing from what I've heard.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 09:59 PM   #8
Krow

Re: Re: reply

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX

Spoon engines are for road racing, not drag racing from what I've heard.
Yes they are, they are made for road courses and auto x.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:04 AM   #9
dudeman47

I gotta go with the moderator about what he said. Street racing isn't the way to go. Saying that you want ti build a car for street racing isn't the way to go. I'd say that intake and exhaust plus header are the way to go. Learn how to drive before you start trying to race anyone on the track, don't listen to anything that is said by someone driving a suv.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:52 AM   #10
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

All motor is expensive, but it's the only thing that doesn't require a sizable investment up front. However, with a non-VTEC B18B under the hood, you'll never get a fast car, all motor. If I were you, the first thing I would do is either swap for a B18C or go turbo. You're looking at about $3500 for either, and the turbo will definitely be faster and have more potential. Do yourself a favor- if you're looking to have a fast car, save yourself the time of buying an intake, header, and exhaust, and just save for the big power adder up front.

Everybody street races. It's not the smartest thing to do, but everybody does it. We all know we shouldn't do it, but we do it anyway. For argument's sake, we'll assume by street racing you mean linear acceleration or drag racing, and not road racing.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 08:40 AM   #11
Integra221

Quote:
Originally posted by 2ndGenTeg
All motor is expensive, but it's the only thing that doesn't require a sizable investment up front. However, with a non-VTEC B18B under the hood, you'll never get a fast car, all motor.

You can definatly build a fast all motor b18b/a. Vtec killer cams and all the bolt ons in a civic hatch is low 13s maybe high 12's on slicks.

Turbo is gay. Anyone can spend 3 grand and have somone bolt them on a turbo kit. I have so much more respect for all-motor cars.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:59 PM   #12
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Not really. No VTEC means swapping in aggressive cams produces severe bogging at lower RPMs. You'd be much faster for much cheaper and much less stress swapping a DOHC VTEC and building that.

BTW- VTEC killer cams are only available for DOHC VTEC motors- they won't even fit the B18A/B. In addition, they only make power from 5000 RPM and up. Great for road racing, awful for drag racing.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:12 AM   #13
Integra221

I did'nt mean the toda vtec killer cams, i meant like crower 3/4 race cams. My mistake on the wording. But there is definatly no bogging at low rpms just look at this dyno sheet . And it is definatly cheaper to build up a ls motor. 650 dollars for vtec cams or 350 for ls cams. You tell me.dyno sheet
Old 10-09-2002, 06:40 PM   #14
CombatKit47

try a b18c5(integra type r motor) then hook it up with so headers, intake, turbo, whatever. the limit is the sky with a new motor, because when you got an old motor in it, it bugs the hell out of you thinking "man, i wonder what i could do with a better motor" then its gonna be a pain in the ass to take everything off your old motor and put it on your new motor.

i have been coming to this website for a year and a half now and i'm only 14 so... i think you will learn a lot from these guys.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:54 PM   #15
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

See how uneven the torque curve is? How it is sizably lower in the low revs than the high? That's bogging. In addition, the dyno doesn't even start until 2500 RPM, and the new cams don't even get the torque advantage until almost 3000. I can guarantee you if the dyno went down to about 1000 RPM, the Crower cams would be well below baseine. I understand most drag launches happen at around 2000RPM, but you'll experience significant bogging, even there.

155hp, max, with the cams and all those other mods? The B18C would hit 155hp with the mods listed with strock cams. Also notice the other mods that were added between the two dynos in addition to the new cams- the straight pipe, throttle body, and cam gears.