::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2003, 01:27 PM   #1
DjBert

Exhaust before turbo?

hi, first of all some dumbass questions...

when people talk about cat-back exhausts, does this actually include a new cat, or is it just from the cat... back??! ok, now please someone correct me if i'm wrong, am I right that the exhaust manifold connects directly into the cat, or is this the downpipe?

anyway the reason I'm asking this is because I need an exhaust in preperation for a turbo, I picked up some great advice a couple of months back on this site and i just need a bit more help. From what i've told, i'm trying to go for a full 3" bore system. would this normally include a cat? if not, would my standard one be too restrictive? also, would a turbo come with it's own manifold which would then connect straight onto my new 3" piping, are there any more restrictions to worry about?

ok, now which exhaust do i get!!? I'm in the UK so i'm more limited than you guys and I'm finding it hard to find an exhaust system that has 3" piping all the way through. I can get DC Sports exhausts so do they do anything suitable?

Sorry for all the questions but once I understand what i'm talking about my posts will be a lot shorter!

thanks,

Bert
Old 03-05-2003, 11:22 PM   #2
armyguy5
3rd Gear

bert....it's from the back of the catalytic converter all the way back..the exhaust is made to bolt up to the factory cat...i duno about the emissions laws in the UK..depends on the exhaust setup for ur car....say for example 2001 civic hx, lx and dx...have the cat directly connected to the exhasut manifold...as for the EX (my car) has it underneat the car with a downpipe.. replacing the cat ins't necessary...check out thermalr&d.com and as for the manifold...the manifold is made to bolt up to the stock engine....the piping is gonna be a difference size...call them and ask the diamter of the outlet on the manifold....and as for exhast u can get away with 2.5" IMHO 3" is a little excessive and a big loss of back pressure.....

chris
  • Cold Air Intake, Front Strut Bar, MTX Thunder 6000 10", Gunmetal Altezza Tail Lights, Short Throw Shifter, Factory Side Skirts and Rear lip, JDM front Lip, Thermal R&D stealth exhaust, 16" Rota Slipstreams in Bronze, Alpine CD/MP3/WMA/XM RADIO, Legacy L7M in car video
armyguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 11:38 AM   #3
DjBert

ok i've checked my car and the cat is definately underneath with a pipe coming down from the engine into it, so i assume this is the downpipe?

oh, well I don't really know what size to get i was just told that 3" would be best. I'm looking to be running a lot of power eventually (300hp+), so would 3" still be too excessive? Also, does the downpipe need to be replaced with a larger one when i get the turbo?

this is probably another dumb question but does a turbo come with an exhaust manifold normally? would this include a downpipe or would i have to get that seperately?

Only thing is, i'm worried that i'll buy an exhaust and then i'll get the turbo and realise that i've got a bottleneck somewhere.

Thanks for your help
Old 03-07-2003, 12:44 PM   #4
Jazn671
1st Gear

go with the 3"

when you're running a turbocharger, you always want as least restrictive of an exhaust system possible... loss of backpressure will drop your horsepower but since you're running a turbo, the turbocharger itself is creating sufficient backpressure so you don't want any more... go with a 3" exhaust system or better yet, run open pipe.... a turbo kit will normally include the manifold, turbo, and downpipe so all you have to do is worry about connections from the downpipe to your cat or go directly to your exhaust.
Jazn671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 01:56 PM   #5
SthPerformance

open downpipe is the route i am going with,,, daily driven,might be loud, but who cares
Old 03-07-2003, 06:26 PM   #6
Boosted3g

open downpipe is great. I ran 2 years with no exhaust. I got warned once by the police and i jsut stuck a Dynomax 3" bullet race muffler on and it was all good.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:06 AM   #7
armyguy5
3rd Gear

bert- kit should include everything...if for some reason it doesn't have a down pipe w/ it your really gonna need one...if u leave it stock it will defianlety collapse.....especially with 300 hp+

chris
  • Cold Air Intake, Front Strut Bar, MTX Thunder 6000 10", Gunmetal Altezza Tail Lights, Short Throw Shifter, Factory Side Skirts and Rear lip, JDM front Lip, Thermal R&D stealth exhaust, 16" Rota Slipstreams in Bronze, Alpine CD/MP3/WMA/XM RADIO, Legacy L7M in car video
armyguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 10:13 PM   #8
accordracer84

If you get the 3" exhaust you will have to replace the cat more then likely or build a custom flange because the outlet of the cat is probably 2.25" or 2.5" not 3" like the exhaust. Then depending on how big the downpipe is you might have to go with a 3" cat or custom Flange. Depending on the emission's laws in the uk i would just take the cat out and just put in a pipe that would allow you run open exhaust but then you can put a cap on it when you don't want it open. Hope this help's and didn't confuse you more. Best of luck.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:52 AM   #9
SthPerformance

Catalytic Converter on a Turbo Car =
Old 03-10-2003, 12:58 PM   #10
DjBert

ok, nice, so the turbo kit should come with everything I need, and then all i've gotta do is ensure that I can connect it to my existing exhaust system? ok that's better than i thought. thanks a lot guys.

yeah I did think the cat would be too restrictive, is this still the case even if I got a hi-flow cat? not sure what it's like over there but we have a yearly MOT test here to check out yer car and the cat would need to be on for the emissions test, I can't be assed to buy a new cat anyway so I think i'll just take it off and put it back on when i take it for the MOT.

just 2 more questions... is it possible to have a 3" exhaust system that is as free-flowing as possible but isn't hella loud?! this must be all down to the muffler i suppose? so is it just a case of finding a really good muffler?

and finally... anyone know of a company over there that could export a system to the UK? cos I can't find jack over here! the best i've found (and the only place that will build me a custom one) costs insane amounts of money and they can't bend piping above 2", how much does that suck.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:48 PM   #11
Jazn671
1st Gear

final 2 answers for your final 2 questions...

alright... the idea about taking on and off your cat is cool... good route to go... depending on insane amount of money, what do you consider insane?

anything 3" will do... it won't be loud because you're running a turbocharger now remember? n/a cars are naturally louder... starting up your turbocharged car, you'll notice the deep sound instead of your normally aspirated engine... remember, a free-flowing exhaust as least restrictive as possible will get you the best performance on a turbocharged engine...

as for a good idea for your exhaust, here's my suggestion... find a guy that you know can weld good... then, find a heavy truck (18 wheelers or big deisel engines) parts company for your exhaust pipes. they run huge turbo's so you won't find trouble getting your exhaust pipes there... 3" is probably their smallest pipes. measure how much you need (a pipe, b pipe, and rear section) creating your own cat-back system won't be too rough because you can buy 3" flanges too. their bends are all mandrel too which makes this all so much sweeter and easier. last, buy any straight through 3" diameter muffler that will fit in your original muffler's place. create your hangers, support all your pipes and bends, spot-weld everything together, take it all off your car, weld everything together, then bolt it on like a regular cat-back system... voila! your own custom 3" cat-back exhaust system that you can brag you made yourself... total will probably cost you a little less than you would've paid for a production cat-back system...
Old 03-11-2003, 05:27 PM   #12
Jazn671
1st Gear

Re: final 2 answers for your final 2 questions...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jazn671
alright... the idea about taking on and off your cat is cool... good route to go... depending on insane amount of money, what do you consider insane?

anything 3" will do... it won't be loud because you're running a turbocharger now remember? n/a cars are naturally louder... starting up your turbocharged car, you'll notice the deep sound instead of your normally aspirated engine... remember, a free-flowing exhaust as least restrictive as possible will get you the best performance on a turbocharged engine...

as for a good idea for your exhaust, here's my suggestion... find a guy that you know can weld good... then, find a heavy truck (18 wheelers or big deisel engines) parts company for your exhaust pipes. they run huge turbo's so you won't find trouble getting your exhaust pipes there... 3" is probably their smallest pipes. measure how much you need (a pipe, b pipe, and rear section) creating your own cat-back system won't be too rough because you can buy 3" flanges too. their bends are all mandrel too which makes this all so much sweeter and easier. last, buy any straight through 3" diameter muffler that will fit in your original muffler's place. create your hangers, support all your pipes and bends, spot-weld everything together, take it all off your car, weld everything together, then bolt it on like a regular cat-back system... voila! your own custom 3" cat-back exhaust system that you can brag you made yourself... total will probably cost you a little less than you would've paid for a production cat-back system...
630-407-0711
www.suja1.com
AIM:Jazn671
Old 03-12-2003, 12:35 PM   #13
DjBert

well i consider £900 (excluding tax and fitting) to be an insane amount of money as far as exhausts go! that's about $1600 isn't it?

I'm not sure about building my own because a) I don't have the time... and b) I don't have anyone I know who would weld something like that for me. thanks for the suggestion though I'd do it if I could!

Apparently I can import the Thermal R&D Turbo system into the UK for a measily $600 which is a bargain if you ask me. Would you say this was a good choice? They told me that it would be loud until i got the turbo fitted... is this loud, or illegal loud?

Thanks again
Old 03-12-2003, 08:19 PM   #14
Jazn671
1st Gear

cool...

thermal r&d 3" is cool... won't be too loud as long you're running a turbo... you'll be amazed at how quiet it is... nowhere close to illegally loud...
630-407-0711
www.suja1.com
AIM:Jazn671
Old 03-13-2003, 04:28 AM   #15
kurtuk

HAve you tried here ?

http://www.longlifeexhausts.co.uk/

Good service & Good value - Very happy with mine.

Kurt
Old 03-13-2003, 01:19 PM   #16
DjBert

oh thanks I was having trouble finding a decent place over here. I'll have to see what they say.

Sorry jazn, what i meant was will it be REALLY loud until i get the turbo on there?