.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2002, 02:53 PM   #1
spoogenet

AEM CAI 2001 Accord 4cyl: cutting involved?

Ok, I'm thinking of getting the AEM CAI sometime soon....I think I saw someone mention at one point that for the '01 4cyl Sedan it takes some cutting.....I'd like to get more precise installation info before I buy it. Is there any cutting or other special mods that must be done to install, or is it mostly a "plug n play" installation? Remove OEM filter/intake, bolt on AEM CAI, done?

b
Old 06-03-2002, 02:56 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i'm not sure for your car but i know for mine you need to make the hole bigger so the cai will go thru. 94_accord_ex said that he does not need to modify anything to get it in place. take the filter box out and look for the hoses comming in. if they are 3" or bigger you don't need to modify anything. if they are less than 3" you might need to oversize it.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 03:20 PM   #3
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Hmm.... 5th gens don't need cutting, and I haven't heard of 6th gens needing it, but I can't say for sure. Shoot an e-mail to AEM if you want to find out quickly.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 08:42 AM   #4
spoogenet

AEM says that "the installation for my application is straight forward".....when asked if it requires any cutting. Thus I take it that it doesn't?

Anyhow, does the groupbuy sound like a good deal? Anybody have experience with this vendor?

$189 shipped from No Limit Motorsports

b
Old 06-04-2002, 06:22 PM   #5
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

That is a great price, and I got my clutch from NL with no probs FYI.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 01:02 PM   #6
llavalle

I got a 99 coupe... and no cutting was necessary for the installation of the CAI...(AEM)...
Maybe it's not like a sedan... but I don't think so....
Old 06-12-2002, 02:57 PM   #7
llavalle

no cutting...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg intake_closeup2.jpg (8.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 06-12-2002, 02:59 PM   #8
llavalle

here's another shot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jun12_06 copy.jpg (129.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 06-12-2002, 03:37 PM   #9
spoogenet

Sweet....thanks for the pics!

b
Old 06-18-2002, 12:02 AM   #10
SilverCoupe2K1

No cutting required and No Limit's great. I bought my CAI from them and had no probs...had it the next day too! Enjoy!!
Old 07-02-2002, 03:49 PM   #11
spoogenet

Ordered my CAI last Thursday, picked it up Friday from the apt. office after work. At first I thought maybe I had ordered the wrong one, I thought the box would be much bigger....hey, I thought the intake was bigger than that. Much to my satisfaction upon opening I had ordered the correct part.

Now I just wait till the weekend after the 4th to install it. A buddy of mine is supposed to loan me his garage and help me out with the install, he's got a digital camera so I'll be sure to get the before/after pics. Not that anybody cares to see them, but I'd like them for my own documentation.

I guess I'll have to change the sig.

Gotta give some props to No Limit for a good price and good service. Although their phone was kinda crappy and the guy had to ask me like 20 times if I wanted the bypass valve before I understood the question. Oh, and I misdialed the number the first time and got some ATT wireless stuff.

b
Old 07-02-2002, 05:57 PM   #12
SilverCoupe2K1

So did you end up getting the bypass valve?
Old 07-03-2002, 09:50 AM   #13
spoogenet

Nah, didn't bother. I figure I want the power. Currently I've got two rides, so when it rains I either don't drive, or I take Bertha (my Volvo). I'll probably continue that trend once I install the CAI in Silvie (Honda). It really doesn't rain much here in Austin, although when it rains....it pours. We've been having a monsoon for the last few days, lots and lots of rain, some flooded areas, etc. Good thing I've got Bertha around.

Of course the bypass valve is something I can always install later. Problem is, once it's installed.....it can't really be taken out, can it?

Yes, I name my cars.

b
Old 07-03-2002, 11:18 AM   #14
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

yep it can be taken out and you could buy a piece of silicone hose to put it over the cut to replace the bpv. i gotta have it in oh thou. you never know when it will rain or not. in may i think we got more than 25 rainy days.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote