::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Step By Step
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 01:48 PM   #1
VN-Tec

Removing a Resonator on a 4th/5th Gen Prelude (instructions inside)

Hope this helps.. If there is anything i have missed or isnt clear then please feel free to correct me!

1.) Start by popping the hood open and locate your stock air intake (left side of battery) There is 4 clips that secure the top portion of the air box to the lower portion, Release the clips by pushing them down (careful some might pop out of socket and get lost into the lower splash guard for engine.

2.) Remove the filter and look at the upper right of the bottom part of the air box and and you will see a golden screw remove these with a 10 mm socket, I recommend that u use the kind that grabs the side and not the edges (I think its called Metric, Correct me if im wrong) Then on the lower portion of the bottom part of the air box theres another gold screw,Its kinda hard to see cause theres no light hitting it.Repeat the steps as above for removing the screws.

3.) Now you can remove your main intake air box, if you look where the intake used to be you will see a hole there,the hole has a little plastic piece sticking out of it,That is the resonator, it "Spoils" up the air before it enters the engine and restricts air flow and quiets the engine. It provides a little more torque but sacrifices High End power, Most people prefer to take this out for a faster top speed and a louder roar to the engine.

4.) Remove the splash guards around the right fender of your car (goes over passenger side wheel) then raise your vechicle, if you have time you can takeout the right wheel also but its not necessary but it will make it alot easier to remove the resonator. (or you can just turn your wheel to clear the fender wall) Look on the bottom of the car and you will see this big plastic box,There i think 4 screws surrounding it, Anyways remove those with the same socket wrench as noted earlier. There is one hard to reach screw that you got to look for so just be careful.

5.) You will notice that there is a vacuum Line connected to the resonator which is attached to a Butter Fly Valve, What this valve does is open up another hole to provide more air at 4000 RPM.. But as u can see it restricts air during lower Rpms.. So just remove the resonator including the Buterfly valve.. Cap off the vacuum line that was connected to it with a screw or something..

6.)Theres some other ways to free up even more air by cutting the bottom part of the intake box just enough so that the 4 clamps that were there are still intact and so that they will secure the filter onto the upper portion.I have found a much better way of doing this by placing the filter onto the upper portion and just Zip-tie it together to the upper portion, Now you can spare the lower portion the surgery.

Congratulations!,You have now Made your car stronger by freeing up air Honda Restricted with a Resonator!

Closed Thread