::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Hybrid
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2003, 09:09 PM   #1
OldSkewlGS-r

r/s ratio ?

I'm currently driving a 92 gsr. its coming up on a 180k. I love my b17a and 2nd gen integra. I wanted to buy a new b18a block and use my b17 head and build an ls\vtec. In doing my research Ive come across claims that the rod stroke ratio of the b18a/b pretty much suck. I realize that using stock internals is not an option. I was wondering what would be the result of using my b17 crank with the b18 block and rods? I calculated the r/s ratio to be 1.68:1. how would this affect displacement?any help would be appreciated. Also I wanted to transplant my vtec oil jets from my b17 block to the b18. does anyone have any info on this? is machining work involved?thanks....
Old 02-28-2003, 09:54 PM   #2
96coupe

first of all, if you want to use the b17 crank on the b18 block, just stick w/ the b17 block. essentially, using the b17 crank will decrease the displacement, which is the whole point of doing the ls/vtec.

imo, rod/stroke is way over weighed, although the r/s is not optimal, the motor will still run great for extended periods of time if built right. if you just slap a stock ls block on and rev it to 8500 rpm of course you are going to detonate it. you will at least need a block girdle, balancing, and good fuel tuning.

i'll look for the link i had about ls/vtec and put it up once i find it.

here's a decent how to-- http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/lsvtec/lsvtec.php