User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 12:35 PM   #1
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

How to Figure out your Check Engine Light code

Disclaimer: This procedure was done on a 97 Honda Civic EX. This may not work the same way for all cars. I am not responsible for any damage you may cause during this procedure.

1. Locate your Service check connector.
Note: In my 97 Civic EX (I believe it’s the same for all 6th Gen civics) it is located behind the passenger kick panel remove the 2 tabs and pop the kicker panel off. Mine had a blue connector with two wires and it was in a Green rubber plug holder, remove the holder from the connector from the rubber holder. Be careful not to pull the wires from the connector.

2. Take a paper clip and bend it to fit in the plug side of the connector this will complete the circuit.

3. Turn the ignition switch to ON ( II ).
Note: You don’t need to start the car.

4. On your MIL (malfunction Indicator Lamp) on you gauge count the flashes.
Note: It’s the light that has the little engine with the word check in it. There will be 2 types of flashes a long flash and a short flash. The long flash will hold for 10 counts of a short flash. The long flash will be your first set of numbers and the short flash will be your second set. EX. I had 4 long flashes and 1 short flash this will equal 41.

5. After you have figured out what the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) is refer to this chart for your problem.

ECU Code & Meaning

Code & Meaning:

Please refer to the link in the next post!
Old 01-22-2002, 07:48 AM   #2
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

UPDATE:

Thanks to AEMCIV for pointing this out to me. There is an easier, and safer way to find you DTC.

Turn the ignition switch to ON ( II ), Then turn it back to off three times.

Note:Do not start the car. If you do you will have to start over again.

On the third time the MIL (malfunction Indicator Lamp) will flash the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) then you can compare it to the chart.

There are a couple difference between OBD-I and OBD-II cars. So I will be updating the DTC list in the near future. Mean while if you have a 6th Gen civic and youd like the double check the DTC code for you. Just send me a PM.