Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2002, 03:25 PM   #1
hondabob

ECU Reset?

Hey,
I have been reading a lot of the posts on this cool site, and I can not find one that actually states and explains how to reset the ECU. After most modifications to the engine, it is constantly stated to reset the ECU? Can someone direct me to this thread, or tell me how to do it please. Thx

H.B.
Old 02-18-2002, 03:31 PM   #2
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

There are a couple ways to do it. One is take the Negative cable off for about 15 mins (maybe not that long, but thats what I do it for) then put it back on, start your car and let it idle for about 10 mins before you press on the gas. This will give your ECU time to learn all the information.

The other way you can do it is, under the hood in the fuse box there is a fuse for backup radio [or something like that], its a 7.5 amp fuse. you can pull that out for about 15 mins, then put it back in, and start your car and let it idle for about 10 mins before you press on the gas.

Ive heard people say its better to disconnect your battery Terminal, but Ive never seen a difference either way. Besides the fact that you should disconnect your negative side when installing parts anyway just as a safety messure.
Old 02-18-2002, 04:04 PM   #3
hondabob

Thanks Racing Rice! Hey, another question if you have time. What is the difference between coil overs as oposed to a set of sport springs and shocks? Is it a combination. Which would you recomend and what brand for adjustible hight.
Thanks
H.B.
Old 02-18-2002, 04:09 PM   #4
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Well, I'm not RR, but I'll take a stab at it

Coilovers are height adjustable as opposed to just springs. You can get coilover "sleeves" such as Ground Control, Skunk 2, Weapon R, etc. that will require a set of struts to go with them. These don't provide a very nice ride quality.

True coilovers (Usually $900+) incorporate both the spring and strut together as a matched system. If you have the money, go for these. I'm eventually going to get the Apex'i WS true coilovers for my car, and they run around $850, which is a good deal.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 04:32 PM   #5
hondabob

Thanks. Is that for all four points of the suspension? $850?
Thanks
H.B.
Old 02-18-2002, 04:37 PM   #6
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by hondabob
Thanks. Is that for all four points of the suspension? $850?
Thanks
H.B.

Yes, that is for the four springs, four struts, and an adjustment tool.

Old 02-18-2002, 04:43 PM   #7
hondabob

Sweet. Thanks!!
H.B.
Old 02-18-2002, 05:25 PM   #8
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Sweet. Thanks!!
H.B.

No prob... you thinking about doing your suspension?

Old 02-18-2002, 05:33 PM   #9
hondabob

Yup. Sometime this spring. I have a really cool place a get my stuff done at. I want to learn more but I don't want to mess up my ride doin it. I am gonna ask them if I can watch and learn. I need better handling and a better ride. My stock stuff just ain't cuttin it. I want to lower it. I don't have the money for outer mods yet but probably will just work on the engine and suspension. I am thinking of getting a MSD ignition system as well as eventually a supercharger? Any sugestions? I am a sponge for knowledge. This stuff makes my day and interests me. How about a lighter flywheel? Does it improve my acceleration? Do I need a new clutch? Sorry. I have a lot to learn. I will look more on the board for more info. Thanks for taking your time with me for this.

H.B.
Old 02-18-2002, 07:05 PM   #10
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Are you thinking about doing any type of racing?
Old 02-18-2002, 08:11 PM   #11
hondabob

Not track or pro, just knowing that I have the power. I only feel comfortable in my car when I'm going at least 80, otherwise I feel slow and unsafe. I just want to learn. I want to soak it all up and maybe someday, design somthing wit my computer know-how for modders. I would love to race, but money is a issue...Kind of..
Old 02-19-2002, 10:21 AM   #12
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Thats cool I know what you mean. You could probably get away with some nice Springs like H&R or Eibachs, etc... And get some good shocks like Koni [Yellows], they arent super cheap but worth every penny IMO. Instead of a Supercharger, you may want to look at going turbo. These days there isnt much lag with a smaller turbo and they are so much easy to Upgrade to get more power then a Supercharger will be. I know several peeps that either had SCers and are switching to Turbo, or have a SC and are wishing they had turbos. Just something to think about.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:58 PM   #13
hondabob

Right on. But I can't use my AEM intake and DC header with the turbo kit though can I?
Old 02-19-2002, 04:07 PM   #14
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Right on. But I can't use my AEM intake and DC header with the turbo kit though can I?

Nope.. Just sell them, then with that money buy a boost controller or a turbo timer..