::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2002, 08:48 PM   #1
MonkeyCoR

Turbo Kit or Supercharger.......

I wanna get a Turbo Kit but cant find any websites that sell them for a 98 civic ex Vtech :( And was also wonderin if a supercharger was any good?
Old 02-17-2002, 10:10 PM   #2
ajn

if it's a SOHC motor, go with Greddy.

You can get a kit from Alamo Motorsports for $1490.

It's meant for the 92-95 civic EX/Si, but it works just as good on a 96-00 civic.

That's what myself and many other turbo sohc users have done.

Check out www.turbocivic.net for more info on how to install it.
It's a great website.

good luck,

aj
Old 02-17-2002, 11:17 PM   #3
MonkeyCoR

Does Alamo Motorsports have a web page?
Old 02-17-2002, 11:30 PM   #4
ajn

http://www.alamoautosports.com/

good luck,

aj
Old 02-18-2002, 01:03 AM   #5
MonkeyCoR

Do you know how much of a hp boost it should give me?
Old 02-18-2002, 08:40 AM   #6
Honda Type R

Dude, forget what he said too u bout that. Get a DRAG GEN II turbo kit it will give u much more power than that suppose trubo kit would. If u remember that EG mugen type-r Hatch it had a DRAG GEN II on it. If u wanna look at the kit. The super street magazine is wid Stephen padakiss how ever u spell his lastname
Old 02-18-2002, 09:57 AM   #7
VTC_CiViC

DRAG Gen III kit on a stock SOHC @7psi = 211whp... got DRAG?
Old 02-18-2002, 10:01 AM   #8
ajn

If you want reliability, get a Greddy kit.

If you plan on boosting more than 12 psi, then get a Drag turbo kit.

The Drag turbo kit utilizes a T3/T4 turbo. It takes a little bit longer to spool up compared to a Greddy TD04-15G but it will produce more top end horsepower, and it's more efficient when producing lots of boost. The small TD04-15G starts to become inefficient at around 12 psi.

It all depends on your goals.

I went with the Greddy kit because I wanted it to pass emissions, fast spool up, reliability, and only 8 psi.

that's what I got, and I couldn't be happier.

good luck,

aj
Old 02-18-2002, 10:04 AM   #9
VTC_CiViC

Yea I like the relatively quick spool of my GReddy, but trust me, in the end you'll get boost greedy like the rest of us, and having a DRAG on hand would help that much easier than a GReddy would! I don't regret getting my GReddy, but if I could do it all over again, I'd go DRAG no doubt. Can't wait till this summer when I send my motor for a complete build, and this winter hopefully I'll have my new turbo, shooting for 350whp this year
Old 02-18-2002, 10:05 AM   #10
ajn

Quote:
Originally posted by VTC_CiViC
DRAG Gen III kit on a stock SOHC @7psi = 211whp... got DRAG?

A Drag Gen III kit is more than double the price of a Greddy kit.
Old 02-18-2002, 10:17 AM   #11
VTC_CiViC

Quote:
Originally posted by ajn

A Drag Gen III kit is more than double the price of a Greddy kit.

You're getting double the kit. T3/T4 capable of sustaining nearly 400whp, external wastegate, much larger DP, intercooler, BOV, MUCH better fuel soulution than GReddy's ghey bluebox. Plus if you get in on the groupbuy at honda-tech.com, you get many extra's like gauges, timers etc.. and the ability to upgrade components for WAY less than you would buy them one off. Like I said I like my GReddy, but when it's time to take off the training wheels, it's time for a DRAG or similar.
Old 02-18-2002, 10:27 AM   #12
ajn

you are totally correct.

The Greddy kit offers you the chance to start out really cheap.

All you get is the small turbo, piping, blue box, etc.

then you can build up on that and get an intercooler of your choice, a blow off valve of your choice, etc.

It just a more economical solution for the person who doesn't have $3500 to spend right off that bat.

later,

aj
Old 02-18-2002, 11:17 AM   #13
97CivicFerio

I did not have $3500 to spend right off the bat, I pieced together a custom turbo setup. My turbo is the T3 60 trim, with a .48 A/R Stage 3 turbine.
Old 02-18-2002, 09:19 PM   #14
SWIFT

it all depends on what he's planning to do w/ the car... if he's not planning to build up the motor, then forget about boosting 12 psi or so...it can't handle it, period...so let's see what he has to say before we get all excited...
and yes, boosting more than 12 psi is awesome!!! i still miss the sound of that BOV between shifts.. oh well, those days are over...im all motor now..
Old 02-23-2002, 02:23 PM   #15
skylinegtr34dood

U mean U can't hear the BOV below 12 psi . I didn't know that. I LUVVV The sound of the BOV. My friend has a stock one on his eclipse and I've never heard it but I thought it was because it was stock.
Old 02-23-2002, 11:23 PM   #16
SWIFT

ummm...i said im goin' all motor now (no turbo/s.charger)... tell your friend to get an aftermarket BOV and you'll hear it...

nways, im gonna be hella busy this summer coz i found a garage for rent and im renting it for 6 mo... i think it's a good deal coz the owner is only asking $150 a month..
i've got 6 cars plus my car to work on..'gonna be a fun summer for me!
goodbye guys and have fun!