Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2002, 03:53 PM   #1
Dosferatu

Questions about swapping my engine...

Hey all,

I'de like to get an engine swap, and have found a mechanic who is quoting me anywhere from $3,400-$4,200 for one (this price reflects a tranny and labor as well). I'm pretty much new to this, so I was wondering if you all could provide me with some information.

This mechanic told me that the cost was dependent upon which of the prelude engines I wanted. He said that the Prelude engines were the most popular choices. These supposedly come from Japan with 30k or less miles (some environmental law they have over there). So here are my questions...

1. Does this seem like a fair price for engine and tranny in the Raleigh, NC area? I was told the H22a swap would be around $4,200.

2. What kinds of questions should I ask to keep from getting hosed?

3. Should I be worried about the fact that it will come with only a 90-day warranty?

4. Any ideas where I should look (locally or online) to sell the old engine? It's in good shape with extra-low mileage so what should I expect to get for it?

Thanx for any input...
Old 04-05-2002, 06:10 PM   #2
Smitty90acc

You should check out this article:
http://www.autospeed.com/A_1091/P_1/article.html
Some good info about what to look out for when buying a used JDM engine.

A 90 day warranty is pretty standard for engine importers. A lot of the Internet-only businesses only offer a start up warranty.

Good luck with your project!
Old 04-05-2002, 11:11 PM   #3
iamsparticuz

heh, im interested in doing the same thing. You can get an h22a from jdm1.com for 2300 minus shipping and ive heard some pretty good things about them. Most people w/accords interested in swapping get that engine.

Im still not sure if theres anything else youll have to buy when ordering from them. I forget about the amount of hours it might take to install, but i was given an estimate to around 3500 for everything.