::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2003, 03:20 PM   #1
DelSoul

Cold air? Ram air?

What is the difference between a short ram air intake and a cold air intake? Also what are the approx. hp gains?
Old 02-27-2003, 03:25 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

A cold air intake will gain you more power. For every 10'C cooler the air is entering the engine, you'll gain approx. 1% in hp. Thus colder is better.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 07:31 PM   #3
Civic98

colder air = performance
Old 02-27-2003, 10:02 PM   #4
Leets
2nd Gear

Well...

... in theory, a cold air system will yield more horsepower than a short ram system. However, this has been constantly debated. In actuality, the horsepower gains from real world use of a cold air system are minimal at best (compared to the short ram). You have to remember that whether you're using a short ram or cold air system the intake charge still has to travel the length of that pipe running to the intake manifold under the hood. That pipe, being under the hood along with the heat producing engine, has a tendency to absorb heat... just like everything else under the hood. That means all that cold air you're sucking up from outside still has to travel through a warm/hot pipe before it gets into your engine. Now granted the air from a cold air system is still a few degrees cooler, but after getting the engine to operating temperature it isn't that significant. In my opinion, save the cash and go short ram.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:19 PM   #5
Shot 2 Hel

Re: Well...

Quote:
Originally posted by Leets
... in theory, a cold air system will yield more horsepower than a short ram system. However, this has been constantly debated. In actuality, the horsepower gains from real world use of a cold air system are minimal at best (compared to the short ram). You have to remember that whether you're using a short ram or cold air system the intake charge still has to travel the length of that pipe running to the intake manifold under the hood. That pipe, being under the hood along with the heat producing engine, has a tendency to absorb heat... just like everything else under the hood. That means all that cold air you're sucking up from outside still has to travel through a warm/hot pipe before it gets into your engine. Now granted the air from a cold air system is still a few degrees cooler, but after getting the engine to operating temperature it isn't that significant. In my opinion, save the cash and go short ram.

wouldent it heat up a short ram just the same, therefore a cold air would do better since it starts off colder then the short ram and gets heated up around the same so in my opinion it would be better to go cold air
Old 03-03-2003, 01:53 PM   #6
Leets
2nd Gear

Re: Re: Well...

Quote:
Originally posted by Shot 2 Hel
wouldent it heat up a short ram just the same, therefore a cold air would do better since it starts off colder then the short ram and gets heated up around the same so in my opinion it would be better to go cold air

ya, it's all really a matter of opinion. You could look at dyno sheets all day to argue both sides. I just personally can't rationalize spending an extra bill for about 2 more ponies.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:51 AM   #7
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i dont see how this can be debated... you can get a short ram intake you keep more low end tq, but lack top end, cold air, you loose a little more low end(cause of the length of the intake) but the colder air does make a substantial difference when you put things in perspective. a short ram MIGHT yeild 3whp maybe 4. a cold air is maybr 5-7, thats a 75-100% power increase. its your call, i'd say cold air, cause if you cut 3 or 4 shortcuts... like well, this header is only 2 or 3 hp less, and this exaust is only 2-3 hp less thinking your saving money you get 15hp instead of 20- pr 25 out of all your bolt ons, and even though you saved $300, its going to cost you more than $300 to get to the same level of performance that you could have been at if you didnt take shortcuts. do it once, do it right. if you buy ebay intakes or weld a muffler on, your throwing away money if you really care about performance. if all you want is the look and being able to say i have these mods, then sure, by all means shop APC and ractive for products.

my 2 cents

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 07:47 PM   #8
Leets
2nd Gear

... but modifications aren't cumulative. And according to your argument the cold air could, in theory, only actually make 1 more pony than the short ram. Bottom line, don't rely on manufacturers' dyno charts... there's countless ways they cheat.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:51 PM   #9
Redman

you won't gain whp from intake, you lose most of it at the crank. intake just helps the car breath better and in some higher end cars i.e RX7s, Mark4 Supras, it will make a drastic noticeable difference, but for Civics, etc.. it won't do nothing but make your car breath and sound louder.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:48 PM   #10
silver

hey i'm back...okay now for this
actually chris you've got it backwards. cold air increases low end while short ram increases high end due to the difference in resonance in the intake piping. as leets said also hp is not cumulative. if a intake dynos at a 5hp increase over stock, and a cat back dynos 3hp over stock. putting them together is not going to necessarily dictate an 8hp increase. you have changed all the factors that go into making power. cutting corners on cost will cut you back in hp development. but unless you are building a all motor monster, the 5hp that is lost is not noticeable.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 09:59 PM   #11
Honda530

Well You could just get the heat wrap for the intake to elimante the heat problem. I thought about doing this.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:21 PM   #12
spoogenet

For the 6th gen Accord the CAI doesn't really add any real length to the intake system. In fact I'm pretty sure the CAI has a shorter length than the stock intake.

This being said, the pressure drop across the longer CAI will help to negate pressure increases due to colder air. The CAI shouldn't really reduce stock torque any but should increase horsepower if for no reason other than it is a much more direct path with a smoother pipe, i.e. lower airflow resistance. The short ram will suck in warmer air but also has a lower pressure drop across the intake which helps its performance.

Which is better for you? I dunno, try 'em both on a dyno and see what results you get.

I got a CAI, shoulda just left her stock, but I can't resist tinkering in some way or another. Now I'm when driving in the rain and try to avoid it if possible. It's probably better that I do try to avoid rain driving in the big TX anyways..... Texans with their jacked up duellies and mud tires slingin rocks at my windsheild.

edit: another typo....dammit, I should just go home and go to bed.

b