::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2003, 03:25 PM   #1
thekid

forged rods

how actactly do forged rods and pistons give u more hp?
Old 02-18-2003, 03:31 PM   #2
davidthall55

I don't think just adding forged rods will do much for the hp, it's really a strength issue. Forged are stronger and will work better for forced induction. Pistons would increase hp depending on the compression ratio.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:48 PM   #3
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

fordged rods can also be lighter. but really its for strenght, so you can run higher compression pistons, or forced induction

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 06:20 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
fordged rods can also be lighter. but really its for strenght, so you can run higher compression pistons, or forced induction

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 11:27 PM   #5
scottrtucker

The strength of the rods doesn't have anything to do with the pressures in the cylinder, so turbos put little extra stress on an engine especially at low boost pressures. The greatest loads in a reciprocating piston engine are tensile loads on the connecting rods when the piston is on its outward stroke, such as on the exhaust stroke (engines that fail at high RPM usually fail on the exhaust stroke).

Most rods are forged from the factory. Aftermarket rods usually use a higher quality steel that provides the rod with greater tensile strength. Tensile loads increase exponentially as engine RPM increases. Higher quality forged rods allow the engine to have a higher redline. They may also be lighter and held to tighter balance tolerances.

By themselves they do not increase horsepower. They do not increase horsepower unless you do other mods such as higher compression, stroker crank, turbo, or anything else that increases horsepower for that matter.

But . . .

There is one way that they can increase horsepower, though, without huge mods (new pistons are required, though) and that has to do with rod length. If anyone wants an explanation of that, reply to this post and I will write about it when I am not so tired.

Thanks,

Scott Tucker
Old 03-06-2003, 11:58 PM   #6
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

Jesus this thread is old.

everyone loves the turbizzim.
TeriyakiBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 11:30 AM   #7
scottrtucker

Is there anything wrong with an ongoing technical discussion about engines?
Old 03-07-2003, 04:52 PM   #8
ShEaNy

Quote:
Originally posted by scottrtucker
The strength of the rods doesn't have anything to do with the pressures in the cylinder, so turbos put little extra stress on an engine especially at low boost pressures. The greatest loads in a reciprocating piston engine are tensile loads on the connecting rods when the piston is on its outward stroke, such as on the exhaust stroke (engines that fail at high RPM usually fail on the exhaust stroke).

Most rods are forged from the factory. Aftermarket rods usually use a higher quality steel that provides the rod with greater tensile strength. Tensile loads increase exponentially as engine RPM increases. Higher quality forged rods allow the engine to have a higher redline. They may also be lighter and held to tighter balance tolerances.

By themselves they do not increase horsepower. They do not increase horsepower unless you do other mods such as higher compression, stroker crank, turbo, or anything else that increases horsepower for that matter.

But . . .

There is one way that they can increase horsepower, though, without huge mods (new pistons are required, though) and that has to do with rod length. If anyone wants an explanation of that, reply to this post and I will write about it when I am not so tired.

Thanks,

Scott Tucker

lol sorry it just sounds like all this guys posts are copied and pasted from somewhere....i could be wrong...just seems like it..nice explaining anyway..do explain the lenght factor of the rods....
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 05:44 PM   #9
scottrtucker

Are you talking about my posts? All the information that I have given has come from my years studying automotive technology and mechanical engineering and being in the business for about 13 years now. I welcome anyone to challenge anything I write in my posts.

As far as rod length is concerned: Longer connecting rods will delay the point (in degrees after top dead center) that the piston reaches maximum velocity (when the crank throw is 90 degrees to the rod). Because this happens later you can have the valves open further by the time the piston is at maximum velocity and therefore essentially have the valves open further to create the least restriction in the intake tract and hopefully get a larger 'pull' of air/fuel.

Most modern engines would hopefully have the valves open to a lift where the ports won't flow any more air when the piston is at maximum velocity anyway but that is not always true on older engines.

Thanks,

Scott Tucker
Old 03-07-2003, 06:24 PM   #10
Boosted3g

scottrtucker is exactly correct on every point. Especialy the long rod discussion. It is the same reason on long rod motors why you can go crazy with ignion timing. On a stroker motor or any motor with a longer stroke and a shorter rod, in general you can advance timing and get away with less detonation.
Old 03-08-2003, 06:42 PM   #11
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

I still think it's regurgitating what everyone else has already said, with the exception of piston speed, which hadn't been touched on yet and has nothing to do with forged rods.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote