::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2003, 05:57 PM   #1
Damaclese

Head Removal

Are there any how-to's or anything out there that will kinda teach me how to take the head off of a 97 Civic? I'm planning on shaving my head, but instead of having somebody else take my head off, I want to do it myself. I want to do it myself to save money and learn more about my car. Only problem is, I don't know a whole lot about engines. All I need to do is get the head off and then a friend is gonna shave it for me. So I need to learn how to take it off so I can get it all done.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:10 PM   #2
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

Re: Head Removal

Quote:
Originally posted by Damaclese
...Only problem is, I don't know a whole lot about engines. All I need to do is get the head off...

You're kidding, right? Do yourself a favor- start small. Change your oil, install an intake, or adjust your timing. If you try and r&i your cylinder head while self-admittedly being ignorant, chances are your car will either A: Never run again, or B: not run without paying someone to fix it twice what you would have paid to do it right in the first place.

If you're gung-ho about doing this, do yourself a favor and purchase a Helm's manual that will walk you through this and anything else you may ever want to do with your car.

www.helminc.com

Good luck.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 09:35 PM   #3
Damaclese

Well, I'm not a total idiot about engines. I know quite a bit and I did install my own intake, I just don't have a lot of hands on experience that I'd really need for a job like this.
Old 02-09-2003, 10:19 PM   #4
blind34_1

honestly, I'd:
1) buy a helms manual and read it while a few times (great bathroom book)
2) talk to your friend or somebody that has expereince about what your doing. get them to help
3)secure transportation for the next week, and to go buy parts when you break something
4) and start bright and early.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 02:15 PM   #5
ForceInjection

It's not that hard...one thing I strongly suggest is not to strip out the head bolts...if you do...your going to have one heck of a time trying to get them off. But, it is really good to have one of those How to books that you get from Pep Boys...it can be a real life saver.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:10 PM   #6
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

LOL
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 01:31 PM   #7
ForceInjection

LOL what are you laughing at I remember working in my garage trying to take off one of the bolts that hold the head on and the impact wrench stripped it. LOL it took about 2 hours trying to get it off...and it sucked because at that point you are at the point of no return. We had to get another socket, which was a size smaller and hammer it onto the bolt. It was still hard because the torque on those bolts are pretty major and the oil made it very slippery. The 1-hour job ended up being a 4-hour life lesson.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:34 AM   #8
Zexamericano

A tourqe wrench works nicely on the headbolts. The head isn't hard to remove. Just Remove the valve cover, air intake, Header, all the hoses going to the intake manifold. Then unbolt the intake manifold. The headbolts come next and it pops right off. It took me about an hour in my back yard to take the head of my 92' civic.
Old 03-01-2003, 05:34 PM   #9
AzCivic

what about getting the cam timing back to where its supposed to be?
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 08:30 AM   #10
Zexamericano

Uh..dunno..never put it back on. I swapped out the motor.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:36 PM   #11
AzCivic

Well i was thinking of having some head work done (valvetrain, cam, shaved for 11:1 comp, maybe valve job and port&polish) but i wanted to take the head off myself. Does anyone know? I think i kinda figured it out... if the cam gear can only go on the cam one way(i'm assuming) then i just have to line up the line on the gear with the mark on the engine and then put the timing belt back on. Does anybody know if this is right???

Also i wanted to replace my piston rings while the head was off and if need be rehone the cylinders, but i need to know if i can do all that by just dropping the oil pan(and already having the head off).

Another thing, if anyone knows the aprox. prices for any of the above, please tell me!!!!
Old 03-02-2003, 10:58 PM   #12
chase

AzCivic, if you want work done there, you want to look up a guy by the name of scott byars. find him at www.collectiveracing.org. he is the one for you there. Tell him that Michael Hood in MS sent you.
Old 03-04-2003, 03:13 PM   #13
AzCivic

He's in Arizona, and does head work? thats what you saying right? That link doesnt work so I dont know how to get ahold of him.