Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2003, 11:54 AM   #1
krz2fer
2nd Gear

CAI Installed.. have a ?

So the polished AEM looks SWEET and sounds even sweeter! thanks a lot for your tips, I'm very pleased.

Only problem is the fit was so tight that once I secured the intake to the body via the "rubber thing" there wasnt enough clearence to push up the filter rubber high enough on the intake pipe because the hole was slightly too snug. So I had to remove the rubber piece to get the filter on properly, and once I did that the rubber wouldnt fit so I had to find some bolt to help hold the tube more securly in place.

The manual reads that if I dont have this rubber piece the warrenty is void, so anyone have tips as to how to get all this shit together without breaking something? I'm thinking I might remove the intake from the engine, slip under the rubber stopper, and try my best to use some elbow grease to get the intake back in...

---
"Aim for the sky, straight into the sun."
krz2fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 12:53 PM   #2
spoogenet

You can take a hack saw to the car and make the hole bigger. That's about the only thing I can think of. I'm not sure it's the best idea to have it so snug that the intake can't move at all. When you rev the engine it slightly moves on the mounts which will also cause the intake to move. The reason they have the rubber softmount is so that the intake can move with the engine, reducing the likelihood of the intake getting damaged or it coming loose on the throttle body end.

b
Old 02-06-2003, 12:56 PM   #3
krz2fer
2nd Gear

Yeah I figured the rubber mount is meant for just that... but I'm thinking if I remove it throttle body end and put in the rubber piece, then try my best to get it back in... only worry about there being too much pressure on the throttle end.

I would do it today, but we're supposed to get like 6 inches of snow. Did I mention I hate winter?

---
Old 02-06-2003, 06:29 PM   #4
krz2fer
2nd Gear

Good news.. got back before the snow, went on a mission, and got the rubber piece in there! The throttle body connection still feels nice and snug and not overly pressured and the filter is still connected fine, so looks like it was a quick fix.

Thanks for all the ideas anyway

---
Old 02-07-2003, 01:36 PM   #5
krz2fer
2nd Gear

One more question.. how often do I need to clean the filter and how do I do that? I've seen the AEM cleaner online but is there any way other than buying that stuff?

---
Old 02-10-2003, 01:40 PM   #6
spoogenet

You can buy a K&N cleaner kit at local auto shops like AutoZone usually. I actually haven't cleaned mine yet, I put it on last summer. I should probably check it.

It also could really depend on your driving conditions. I really don't drive my Honda a lot, or at least I didn't drive it much until recently. I avoid driving in the rain and I'm usually not driving around dusty places much, so it probably doesn't get too dirty. Driving up north where it snows a lot and they salt the roads will probably clog it up a lot faster.

Remember that the dirt in the filter can work for you by helping trap other dirt. It also will restrict your airflow, so it's kinda a tradeoff in a way. It's probably a good idea to clean every few months or so, but as I already said I've been lazy about mine. Maybe I'll do that next nice weekend I get.

b
Old 02-10-2003, 06:20 PM   #7
sohc_vtec 2NR

the aem filter is made by K&N right?... i'd purchase k&n's cleaner kit instead of the AEM...assumin' that the k&n cleaner is cheaper..
Old 02-11-2003, 11:48 AM   #8
krz2fer
2nd Gear

I live in Virginia, where the seasons are totally amplified... for example it's cold as hell and snows once a week right now... but in the summer it gets hot as hell with muggy days and a few wicked t-storms... so I'm thinking one good clean after each season would work well and maybe 2 cleans during the winter/salt/grime/shitty season

---
Old 02-11-2003, 12:28 PM   #9
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by sohc_vtec 2NR
the aem filter is made by K&N right?... i'd purchase k&n's cleaner kit instead of the AEM...assumin' that the k&n cleaner is cheaper..

The new filters are different, and I think they are made by AEM. Anyway, I clean every 5-7k miles with a K&N kit, but I have the older filter. That kit should still be fine though.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 12:32 PM   #10
krz2fer
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
The new filters are different, and I think they are made by AEM. Anyway, I clean every 5-7k miles with a K&N kit, but I have the older filter. That kit should still be fine though.

Yeah, I forgot to say that.. the filter I got last week has a rubber cover over top with AEM melted in...

---