::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Prelude
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2001, 07:05 AM   #1
94SiSQO

exhaust resonator question

i'm really distraught here. i got custom catback with a new resonator and apexi n1 universal muffler 2 weeks ago. sounds really bad (tinny, buzzy, ricey, "wohhhhhhhhh!") at WOT and even if i give it more gas. driving normally sounds good deep, especially in 1st and downshifting. it's fine above 3000 rpms.

just wanted to know if it's anything to do with the exhaust resonator? and whether changing the resonator would help.

thanks in advance and sorry bout this...
Old 09-09-2001, 10:44 AM   #2
Jacques

It's possbile that it could be the resonator and the muffler haven't broken in as of yet. I don't know how the APEXi N1 sounds, so I don't know if the "ricey" sound is expected after break in, so the culprit in the long run could be the resonator. You may have to have the resonator redone :( .
Old 09-09-2001, 02:37 PM   #3
VN-Tec

Ahh das ur problem... You shoulda known N1 is one of the loudest exhaust systems out..... So its kinda hard to keep it down unless you put the silencer on.. Ever try that?
Old 09-10-2001, 05:44 AM   #4
94SiSQO

thanks for the reponses everyone

jacques, how long do u think it will take to break in? i'll give it a few more months...
and i'll try a bigger resonator, hopefully that will help

VN-Tec, didnt get a silencer, since i just got the universal muffler with custom piping. ended up cheaper. but kinda regretting it now. it's actually not that loud.. just the annoying ricey tones that's distressing me. i'm hoping it's the resonator... but i'm also starting to think cuz the muffler is too small. the universal mufflers for NA are smaller than the ones that come with the full catback system. but i only found out now.. *sigh*
Old 09-10-2001, 11:24 AM   #5
Jacques

Quote:
Originally posted by 94SiSQO

jacques, how long do u think it will take to break in? i'll give it a few more months...
and i'll try a bigger resonator, hopefully that will help

Break-in is usually 500 miles or so for most mufflers and catbak exhuasts. That's how long it took my Mugen exhaust to get its sweet sound .
Old 09-11-2001, 03:18 AM   #6
94SiSQO

Quote:
Originally posted by jacques

Break-in is usually 500 miles or so for most mufflers and catbak exhuasts. That's how long it took my Mugen exhaust to get its sweet sound .

oh really? that long? well i'll see how it goes
what happened to your mugen over time? deeper and louder? less tinny?

when my car is idling, it sounds like it's a rattling vibrating sound but i'm sure it's not vibrating against anything since the muffler hangs sorta low. plus i held the muffler in place and it still made the vibrating noise. and it does sound like it's coming from the muffler itself.
Old 09-11-2001, 04:46 PM   #7
Jacques

My Mugen hasn't sounded any louder a year later. The deep sound has stayed the same....no tinny, "weedwacker" sound.
Old 09-11-2001, 07:25 PM   #8
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

hrm maybe its a bad weld somewhere, like a little hole. take it to them and ask.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2001, 05:41 AM   #9
94SiSQO

Quote:
My Mugen hasn't sounded any louder a year later. The deep sound has stayed the same....no tinny, "weedwacker" sound.

probably cuz u have an expensive and tuned system

4thGenlude , yeh i think after a few more weeks i'll take it back for them to check..

actually it seems to be getting a lil better now, maybe it's wearing in a bit, or i'm getting used to it.

thanks for your help everyone
Old 09-12-2001, 09:36 PM   #10
Jacques

Quote:
Originally posted by 94SiSQO

probably cuz u have an expensive and tuned system

You know it !

Hope it improves on ya soon .
Old 09-14-2001, 10:00 AM   #11
94SiSQO

Quote:

You know it !

Hope it improves on ya soon .

thanks man

hey i was wondering, does your exhaust sometimes (i think when it's cold) sound really quiet.. then some days it sounds louder?