::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Prelude
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2001, 03:35 PM   #1
azninside

AEM Cam Gears

How good are AEM Cam Gears and how much horsepower/torque do you actually gain by installing them? What else needs to be done when installing them? Do you need to buy/install anything else alongside the cam gears or can you install them on a nearly stock engine? Do you need to buy new cam shafts? What brands are better than AEM?
Old 09-10-2001, 06:12 PM   #2
Big James

AEM are a very good quality cam gear. Some people have claimed that they can slip, but AEM has basically proven that if installed right, even one of its screwws will hold over 10,000rpm. Other people swear by Unorthodox and Skunk2. However, the AEMs are in my opinion just as nice.

As far as expected HP gains, on a stock engine you may see 2-5hp and tq. You do not need any other mod for these, although the more mods the better. I have personally seen a car being dyno tuned (H22A4) that got 10hp from cam gears. Although this is rare, it can happen.
Old 09-10-2001, 07:07 PM   #3
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

its all how you tune it, you can tune the gears to give more low end tq or more high end hp, you need to slap it on the dyno and get the optimum setting for your car.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 11:07 PM   #4
azninside

Quote:
Originally posted by 4thGenlude
its all how you tune it, you can tune the gears to give more low end tq or more high end hp, you need to slap it on the dyno and get the optimum setting for your car.

is it really worth doing for the 200 bucks? What's involved in tuning it?

-AZNinside
Old 09-11-2001, 01:16 PM   #5
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

um goto a dyno shop, have someone tune them, id sugest cams and a vafc or a regualr afc if you dont have vtec, cause the session will cost you $$

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 05:36 PM   #6
pReLuDe-gUrL

In my opinion, the best company out there for cams is crower. But i have heard only good things about AEM's products. My bf just purchased their cam gears for his new engine.

To the question of "do you need to buy cam shafts", you don't NEED to... but if you want the hp gain, its a must. Esp if you have vtec. As 4thGenLude said, a Vafc goes hand in hand when tinkering with your vtec timing. DOOOO take it in for dyno. The person operating the dyno will be able to tune your car so you get the most out of your new products. A one hour session with tuning should run you under $200!!