.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2003, 04:34 PM   #1
armyguy5
3rd Gear

wireless? u like?

well i just went and bought a Wireless Access point, PCI Wireless ethernet card, and a PCMCIA ethernet card...it's 802.11b and will have it up when i get back to texas.....I got the whole system for just under 200 dollars......i've never used it before and hopefully will be nice...anyone here have wireless??? and if soo how do u like it?

chris
  • Cold Air Intake, Front Strut Bar, MTX Thunder 6000 10", Gunmetal Altezza Tail Lights, Short Throw Shifter, Factory Side Skirts and Rear lip, JDM front Lip, Thermal R&D stealth exhaust, 16" Rota Slipstreams in Bronze, Alpine CD/MP3/WMA/XM RADIO, Legacy L7M in car video
armyguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 04:49 PM   #2
a96710

I have a wireless system. I like it. Never had any problems with it, signal etc
a96710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 05:08 PM   #3
insomniac_91

wireless?
Old 01-02-2003, 05:09 PM   #4
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

I found my connection to be a lot slower when I had the wireless access point hooked up to my computer (I was only about 20 ft away from the hub)

everyone loves the turbizzim.
TeriyakiBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 06:31 PM   #5
a96710

I have to do it wireless...gotta ton of cables already runnin through the livingroom.
a96710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 06:41 PM   #6
drdingo21

Quote:
Originally posted by TeriyakiBroccoli
I found my connection to be a lot slower when I had the wireless access point hooked up to my computer (I was only about 20 ft away from the hub)
Most of the brand name stuff is pretty good about keeping a nice speedy connection. Howerver some of the lower and cheaper models suck, not matter how close you are to the switch or hub.

What kind did you get?
drdingo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 06:45 PM   #7
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

I got a SMC system. Pretty big company, and well known for their parts. I got one of the better models too.

Mom's friend works there.

everyone loves the turbizzim.
TeriyakiBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 07:11 PM   #8
armyguy5
3rd Gear

linsys befw11s4 it's the wirless access point plus 4 port router and the linksys pci card and i got a usr 2410 for my laptop we'll how it all works out

chris
  • Cold Air Intake, Front Strut Bar, MTX Thunder 6000 10", Gunmetal Altezza Tail Lights, Short Throw Shifter, Factory Side Skirts and Rear lip, JDM front Lip, Thermal R&D stealth exhaust, 16" Rota Slipstreams in Bronze, Alpine CD/MP3/WMA/XM RADIO, Legacy L7M in car video
Old 01-02-2003, 07:57 PM   #9
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

I have a question about this.

I'm already running an 8 port Linksys router in my room. I'd like to have some computer stuff in my living room, but I don't want to run the cables. Is there a way to get a wireless connection into there from my router into a switch in my living room?

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 08:35 PM   #10
armyguy5
3rd Gear

yea.....u have to buy a wireless access point and card just like i did....plug the WAP into the switch or router and walla wireless in your house..but u dont need to get a 4 port switch like i do.... since u alredy have ethernet connections just buy a regualr acces point w/ no switch
http://www.pcconnection.com/scripts/...duct_id=270044

chris

you can get them cheaper on ebay
Old 01-02-2003, 08:52 PM   #11
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by armyguy5
yea.....u have to buy a wireless access point and card just like i did....plug the WAP into the switch or router and walla wireless in your house..but u dont need to get a 4 port switch like i do.... since u alredy have ethernet connections just buy a regualr acces point w/ no switch
http://www.pcconnection.com/scripts/...duct_id=270044

chris

you can get them cheaper on ebay

Thanks for the info. I usually buy from newegg though. I'll check out pcconnection.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 12:20 AM   #12
armyguy5
3rd Gear

anytime

chris
Old 01-03-2003, 12:24 AM   #13
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i never tried wireless, and prolly it won't be any time soon

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 07:28 AM   #14
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Wireless rocks, especially for Laptops..

Since I dont have one, I dont see me going to wireless anytime soon. Maybe I will if I ever buy one.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:00 AM   #15
feanor

Wireless rocks.. I originally had a LinkSys Wireless ROuter, which worked alright, but couldn't reach the porch and certainly never made it to the far corners of the house.

I snagged an Orinoco (made by Lucent) kit off of ebay with an AP-500 access point and two gold cards (128k encryption) and installed it in the attic, with the ethernet snaking down to the rack in the basement).. now this stuff reaches clear across the street to the neighbors... it's awesome...

My fave though is taking the laptop out to the local starbucks and working from there

Bryan
Old 01-04-2003, 10:29 AM   #16
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

hmm i have a friend who is a dealer for orinoco/luncent products and he can hook me up really good. i think he could sell me like 2 cards and a router for under $200

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 12:16 PM   #17
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

I have wireless. Linksys

Works great. No latency issues or anything. I have the 4 port switch & router and 2 pcs that are wireless.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:04 AM   #18
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by feanor

My fave though is taking the laptop out to the local starbucks and working from there

Bryan

Cyber Cafe! Those are cool.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:21 PM   #19
armyguy5
3rd Gear

hey i set my Acces point up to work with AOL, but for some reason my external browers ie. netscape dont load web pages...do i need to reconfigure it?

chris
Old 01-26-2003, 03:01 PM   #20
DumbMoFo

I love my wireless setup. Orinoco Gold card running to Linksys 4 Port Router/AP combination.

Do yourself a favor and set the encryption on the router or access point. Be sure to set WEP, as this will make it almost impossible for anyone who doesn't have the correct "key" to use your AP. If possible, set the AP so it also doesn't issue a "broadcast" signal. If you have it set so it issues a broadcast signal, people will be able to tell something is there, even if you have WEP enabled. Given enough time, someone will hack that, so disable the broadcast signal and you should be good to go.
Old 01-26-2003, 03:04 PM   #21
feanor

Quote:
Originally posted by DumbMoFo
I love my wireless setup. Orinoco Gold card running to Linksys 4 Port Router/AP combination.

Do yourself a favor and set the encryption on the router or access point. Be sure to set WEP, as this will make it almost impossible for anyone who doesn't have the correct "key" to use your AP. If possible, set the AP so it also doesn't issue a "broadcast" signal. If you have it set so it issues a broadcast signal, people will be able to tell something is there, even if you have WEP enabled. Given enough time, someone will hack that, so disable the broadcast signal and you should be good to go.

WEP is seriously weak.

But in any case, I'm running an open access point here anyways, so I don't have WEP on.. (I have two points).. one's open.. one's closed.. I use the closed one.. neighbors like the open one

And yes, my ISP is cool with this..

Bryan
Old 01-31-2003, 11:31 PM   #22
Daviso27
3rd Gear

***Warning***

I specialize in WAR DRIVING. (that is when you drive around with your laptop and a wireless card looking for wireless networks using software like Netstumbler or Air Snort)

It has nothing to do with encryption...this software hunts for the IP and MAC addresses, not internet access...With an IP one can bust'up a PC by sending a continueous ping to your IP...If done right your PC will freeze up and your wireless hub/router/switch will need to be restarted...sometimes reconfigured

I can pull an IP address from any wireless access point...I have never messed with someone elses network but It can be done...If you enable file sharing amongst your PC and your Laptop, Anyone who can get into your network can get into your files...

Just something to think about...

Don't call the cops on me...Please.
Daviso27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 11:44 PM   #23
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by Daviso27
***Warning***

I specialize in WAR DRIVING. (that is when you drive around with your laptop and a wireless card looking for wireless networks using software like Netstumbler or Air Snort)

It has nothing to do with encryption...this software hunts for the IP and MAC addresses, not internet access...With an IP one can bust'up a PC by sending a continueous ping to your IP...If done right your PC will freeze up and your wireless hub/router/switch will need to be restarted...sometimes reconfigured

I can pull an IP address from any wireless access point...I have never messed with someone elses network but It can be done...If you enable file sharing amongst your PC and your Laptop, Anyone who can get into your network can get into your files...

Just something to think about...

Don't call the cops on me...Please.

Actually wouldn't that depend on the mode that the wireless network is in?
I'm guessing 95% of home users that have wireless networks could be hacked in about 5-10 minutes. Most people simply don't know how to secure them.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:47 PM   #24
armyguy5
3rd Gear

i wish i had time to just drive around and find wireless networks

chris
Old 02-01-2003, 01:01 PM   #25
Daviso27
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict
Actually wouldn't that depend on the mode that the wireless network is in?
I'm guessing 95% of home users that have wireless networks could be hacked in about 5-10 minutes. Most people simply don't know how to secure them.

It is not the Wireless network that needs to be secured it is the access point (hub,router,switch) this is the device that is vunerable for attack. The software that is used for War Driving detects the IP from any mode (Infastructure, Ad-Hoc, DNZ, etc.)

It usually takes less than 1 minute to get into a WLAN...timed from when the network is found and an IP address is established...In order to prevent outside whacking...Disable all "file Sharing"...This also defeats the purpose of having a WLAN...In general the only way to be 100% secure is to turn all of your equipment off.

Long Live Wi-Fi!!!
Daviso27 is offline   Reply With Quote